That sucks Eric.... and you call yourself a skinner....sheesh look at panel lines WTF is that all about.?

*Someone taps Dave's shoulder. ""Hey Dave, its a work in progress."

"oh. really?"

"yeah"

"Well then........Keep up the good work buddy!" :good::haha::rofl:

j/k

And guess what? when completed, the panel lines are all inclusive with the skin :smile: Thanks man! :good:

And guess what? when completed, the panel lines are all inclusive with the skin :smile: Thanks man! :good:

All inclusive? NO WAY MAN! That is genius! How come I never thought of that?

Also, there are a few odd shadows here and there on the mesh...again, I'll fix those as I notice them. If you see them, please point them out to me so I can fix them.

Shouldn't change any mapping issues (gawd knows I don't want to have to do that AGAIN)...

FC

All inclusive? NO WAY MAN! That is genius! How come I never thought of that?

Yeah man, they're a part of the texture! Imagine that! :smile:

On a serious note...

Cool beans FC, yeah there's a few spots where there are "dents" and I'll take some pics and PM you those. Also the engine tunnel.... not really needed, just curious as why that's there when all you really need is a round face or cylinder right at the "butt" of the airframe. Overall the model is smooth man, just gives the sense of "mass". And the inner part of the engine nozzle needs additional mapping as per the photo from Airliners.net. Also more panel lines. There's more but this is what I had anyways

post-5735-1231951585_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1231951622_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1231951731_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1231951767_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1231953422_thumb.jpg

Seriously. This is turning out to be more than AWESOME, to be honest.

I also found a dual rail adapter for AIM-120s... I uploaded it ages ago, and just found the model today while searching for the references for the panel lines (that's the easy part, effin rivets up the ying-yang!)

Cool beans FC, yeah there's a few spots where there are "dents" and I'll take some pics and PM you those.

Thanks, I think. :biggrin:

Also the engine tunnel.... not really needed, just curious as why that's there when all you really need is a round face or cylinder right at the "butt" of the airframe.

Because it looks better having a real AB tube...no pipe, no hype!

And the inner part of the engine nozzle needs additional mapping as per the photo from Airliners.net.

Okay, I've got some room on the map to get that to ya.

I also found a dual rail adapter for AIM-120s... I uploaded it ages ago, and just found the model today while searching for the references for the panel lines (that's the easy part, effin rivets up the ying-yang!).

I was planning on letting the game engine use the standard LAU-105 dual rail (all you need is a new weapondata.ini entry)...or is the dual rail THAT different...

Also, can anyone tell me exactly what the hexagonal and small rectanguar doors near the aft end on the top side of the aircraft actually specifically do? I've heard acronyms, but no concrete information, with no info on how it works, if there is schedule of deployment of the doors, etc.

FC

THAT different. It's basically two LAU-127 rails slapped together like the LAU-105, which the Legacy Hornet uses too.

I can ask around, I know that Steamer is in VFA-14, or if I can dig up a NATOPs manual, I'll pass it along, but I honestly don't have a clue.

From pics though, they seem to be mostly open while on the ground/deck, maybe air vents or so?

post-5735-1231955410_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1231955441_thumb.jpg

I'll probably make it a separate part then...that way the legacy Hornets can have it available too.

FC

Nice.

Honestly I like the newer ones because they're sleeker :good:

Okay...fine...(fake exasperated sigh)...yet one more thing to do...

Also, those pics you provided definitely show the wingtip rails being longer than the winders...just the winders are WAY forward on the mounts.

:biggrin:

EricJ, I'll run a few ideas by you on the special things I want to add to the E,F,and G models...I think you'll like them if I can get them to work and look correct.

FC

Okay...fine...(fake exasperated sigh)...yet one more thing to do...

Also, those pics you provided definitely show the wingtip rails being longer than the winders...just the winders are WAY forward on the mounts.

:biggrin:

EricJ, I'll run a few ideas by you on the special things I want to add to the E,F,and G models...I think you'll like them if I can get them to work and look correct.

FC

This should help... I'm not sure what's in the zip file as for models.... but if it's really crappily textured, then that's what I managed to create a few years ago when I had MAX. I got a 3ds viewer so I should check but if it's really done well, then I'll have to ask permission on it. If it's the crappy one, it should be already sized right, just needs a better texture. And got the fuselage lines mostly done, and beginning the real tedious process of riveting, and no Dave, it won't be exactly placed as far as the real thing is concerned, so you can go somewhere else :smile: And just so people know, the textures are 2048 x 2048, so detailing is no problem :good:

LAU_127.zip

post-5735-1232001308_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1232001318_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1232001324_thumb.jpg

And before the witch hunt:

Sent: Thu 4/05/07 11:36 AM

To: Eric Johnson (my email removed)

Eric,

As long as the model is converted into a proprietary format, encrypted,

or is merged into a some sort of binary executable game file, it would

be fine. What we don't want is the model and textures distributed with

the sim in a common/commercial 3d format that would allow it to be

separated and then re-distributed as a stand-alone commercial 3d model.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Marv Mays

Owner / Lead Artist

Mesh Factory

mm@meshfactory.com

1605 Terrawenda Drive

Defiance, OH 43512

USA

fax: 561.431.2648

Eric Johnson wrote:

> Hi, I have recently (less than two weeks) purchased the F/A-18F model on Turbo Squid:

>

> http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/228791

>

> And have been asking if it can be implemented in the flight simulation Lock On, Modern Air Combat. I have asked a friend if he could import it, change the model to another format, for use in a mod. Right now him and me are the sole owners of this model, as well as another person. They have not released this, and the topic in question is here:

>

> http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=21946&page=5

>

> Use of this of course is non-profit use and just as the topic shows, it is to replace another model. So I am wondering am I breaking any license agreements, and if it is okay if I use your model in such a capacity?

>

> Considering that your website is working, I am just simply wondering

>

> Thank you

Once you start adding the details it does! :good:

Eric,

I lied eariler...the gear animations are porked, however, already starting the process of importing the old gear and wheels, so that should be fixed soon. Main flight control links (wings) fixed, rudder and spoiler links still need updating. Nozzles remapped.

Hopefully late tonite I'll have the basic LOD and updated data.ini to you. That should be enough to make sure your skins work and look right. Enhancements to the basic LOD will come as I get time.

FC

Sounds good. Got a basic nozzle texture, couple photos showing the chaff/flare boxes, among normal things, and 'winder rail texturing and wing panel lines.

I might be travelling, or starting the process tomorrow, but I'll grab it when I can.

post-5735-1232028722_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1232028765_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1232028773_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1232028778_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1232028787_thumb.jpg

Even if I hate the Super Hornet for replacing the Tomcat but I will definitely download this great mod when it's available it look great.

Hehe, more line work. Right now I'm getting most of the lines down, then will go over it again and do touchups.

post-5735-1232035994_thumb.jpg

Hehe, more line work. Right now I'm getting most of the lines down, then will go over it again and do touchups.

hey, good work, man :good:

[iss cool, i'll fine tune it for ya lol :biggrin: ]

Love the work on a new Super Hornet family. Not be throw a monkey wrench into this, meant more as an FYI.

Your model(s) is/are Lot 25 or earlier jets. They lack the later ECS pipes between the tails and have the flat ECS vents. On the F-model, it's missing the ACS (Advanced Crew Station) in the rear pit. This was a large 8x10 screen for the WSO and was recognized by the enlarged Instr. panel and combing.

You guys were talking about the missile rails and how the AIM-9 sat forward. The SH uses the LAU-127 rail and some were modified with an extra cooling system on the aft end, giving the rail a kind of tail that extended past the aileron. I havent seen these in use in a long while though, so what Harold has done is good.

Again, not trying to be a Pain in the A**, just giving some additional info if you need it.

I've got some top down shots of the ECS pipes if you want them. They've been retrofitted to the earlier Lot jets.

Here is a shot of a VFA-211 jet from late 2006 over Afghanistan. It's pretty much as you have your model right now, except for it having the longer LAU-127 rails.

-S

FA_18F_VFA_211_OEF_A.jpg

Which of course you're right, I got that model in 2007, so naturally details are going to be off. No it's not a pain, but FC might just bang his head against the wall "Why can't they just stop!!" :smile: