Sign in to follow this  
eraser_tr

Airliner makes emergency landing in Hudson River

And the pilot was a ex AF F-4 Driver! :clapping:

heard about the ditch last night hanging out with friends..

great job by the crew! couldn't have done it better :)

Thank god all are safe.

Indeed, Amen to that.

Indeed, Amen to that.

Ditto.

Saw on the news while eating breakfast, the pilot was an airforce rhino driver.

Trust me, any pilot could have done this...

Maybe.

Couple of things to point out here:

1) Birds ******* suck!

2) The real story isn't complete until the final accident and safety investigations are done. Until then, everything is heresay.

3) There are tons of ex-military in the airline biz, the Captain being an ex-USAF F-4 guy is not unusual by a long shot.

4) Successful ditching of a modern airliner is very rare. In training, they even tell you to expect a breakup of some sort, usually due to one nacelle hitting the water before the other and causing the plane to get sideways, or ripping off a wing, usually causing a cartwheel. "Miracle' is actually not a bad word for how intact the aircraft was after it came to a stop. I've seen aircraft run off the end of a runway into the water that looked more broken up.

5) The story is that the aircraft was airborne for 5 minutes. That's damn short for just about any emergency. In a T-38, if I lose an engine while still on the runway on takeoff, it will take at least that long just to travel the distance around the pattern to get my checklists done. And that's in an aircraft doing 300 knots...the airliner probably never got above 250 knots. Also, there are a buttload of checklists to run during an engine failure (dual failure even more so), the plane will be screaming at you with lights, tones, and voices, ATC will want to know what the hell is going on, you've got to get the aircraft prepped for ditching, and your F/O is trying to get whatever you need to make a proper decision. Most ditching scenarios assume you have some time...the Captain in this case had NO time.

6) For those who think airline pilots are glorified bus drivers...there's a reason we get paid the big bucks. It's not about how things go 99.9% of the time that forms the basis of pay. It's about what pilots do to avoid the .1% ... or how they handle it when the .1% comes up.

Assuming the crew wasn't culpable for the accident, I'd say 'Well done' and buy them a pint of their favorite beverage.

FC

concur.

the statement

"Trust me, any pilot could have done this... "

simply screams of ignorance.

fact is, we've lost quite a few aircraft and far too many aircrew to Snow Geese. I can recall an E-3A going down with the entire crew after a similar collision with a flock of Snow Geese and almost loosing an E-4B in similar circumstances.

God was with that crew (all of them) who were by all acounts, well prepared and trained and very, very fortuneate to be able to execute a controlled ditching under very time-compressed and geographically fortuneate conditions.

:salute:

6) For those who think airline pilots are glorified bus drivers...there's a reason we get paid the big bucks. It's not about how things go 99.9% of the time that forms the basis of pay. It's about what pilots do to avoid the .1% ... or how they handle it when the .1% comes up.

:rofl:

I saw a part of an interview with whom I believe was the pilots wife,

"He's a pilots pilot. He loves the art of the airplane."

I dont think it could be said better.

Saw some of the passengers on the news; most of them are saying things like "I don't want to ride planes anymore because they aren't safe any more". IF the plane goes down and EVERYONE survives with non-life threatening injuries because of something out of the pilot's control, doesn't that prove that the plane itself is safe?

I was in a car once that lost control because it had to brake suddenly and ended up in the ditch. Cars aren't safe! I am never riding in or driving a car again!

Okay so maybe a passenger jet ditching in a river is a little bit more dramatic, but a car out of control can cost me my life too. I am not actually serious about never getting in a car again anyway.

I think people in an air incident are probably more shook up than people in a car incident because it lasts much longer. A near accident in a car is generally over in seconds. In a plane it's minutes. Also you have a lot more people around you in a plane and a group of anxious people may boost the anxiety of each individual. But probably the strongest reason is in a plane you have a long time to think "I may die" and in a car its more like "I almost died". Afterwards thinking back of each situation. Sitting for a long time to wait to find out if you are going to die or not is probably a lot more traumatic than realizing afterwards.

Amateur psychology session is over, see you next week.

The audio is out: http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/accident_incident/1549/

Sully's calm response " We'll be in the Hudson" as a reply to to the air controller was classic.

When I heard the audio all I could think about was Fast Cargo's statement about driving the plane, going thru the checklists and the air controllers still want you to talk on the radio.

I'm amazed every body got out. When a plane with passengers ditches somebody usually picks the wrong way out and they don't make it. Good work by the flight crew. My recollection of multi engine US Navy airplanes ditching with crews trained to get out of the airplane usually resulted in a loss of an air crewman. Ya I know a shallow river is not the same as the North Pacific, or insert your most heinous sea state location here. We lost a P2V off the California coast back in the 60s. Nice suucessfull ditch on what I believe was an unusually mellow sea state for that time of year. One Naval Aircrewman was lost. He had a big reputation for his swimming / aquatic skills.

:ph34r: CL

Let's not forget that Sully didn't have time to dump fuel. The jet was heavy.

Let's not forget that Sully didn't have time to dump fuel. The jet was heavy.

Actually...a lot of Airbuses can't dump fuel...I'm almost positive the A320 can't.

But you're right, the jet was heavy which would have aggravated the situation.

FC

This is no Sierra!

There is a new cocktail called the Sully.

2 shots Grey Goose and a splash of water.

Some are saying its best shaken with ice.

:ph34r: CL

I saw a great thing on the Daily Show last night.

They said during this crisis with the economy crashing, there's only one man who can save us! Sully! He needs to guide our economy to a soft water landing before we all burn!