Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

F-107 'Ultra' Sabre for SFP1/SFG/WOV/WOE

F-107 'Ultra' Sabre for SFP1/SFG/WOV/WOE

Version 1.0

Thanks to the following folks:

TK - For the ThirdWire series of sims.

Bunyap - The original modder who created the F-107 MAX file and released it to Dave.

Dave - For providing the original model to me, decals, texture updates, loading screens

Klavs81 - Original textures

dwcace - For providing me with additional reference material

To my fellow Combatace moderators - For helping me beta test and work out bugs.

Any errors or mistakes are entirely mine.

What you will need first:

Thirdwire Weapons Editor - http://www.thirdwire.com/downloads_tools.htm

Strike Fighters Project 1/Strike Fighters Gold/Wings Over Vietnam/Wings Over Europe - One of these are needed to provide the wing fuel tanks, some decals, and either the F-104 or F-105 cockpit.

This addon will currently not work properly with Strike Fighters 2 or Wings Over Israel (19 Jan 09).

Aircraft Information:

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-107

The North American F-107, nicknamed "Ultra Sabre", was North American Aviation's entry for a United States Air Force tactical fighter-bomber design competition of the 1950s. The F-107 incorporated many innovations and radical design features, and was based on the F-100 Super Sabre. The competition was eventually won by the F-105 Thunderchief, and the F-107 prototypes ended their lives as test aircraft.

The F-107A was originally designed as a tactical fighter-bomber version of the F-100, and was entered into a competition sponsored by the Air Force. Originally designated F-100B, the aircraft featured a recessed weapons bay under the fuselage, as well as an all-moving vertical fin and a control system which permitted the plane to roll at supersonic speeds.

The aircraft's most distinguishing feature is its Variable Area Inlet Duct, mounted in an unconventional position directly above and just behind the cockpit, which automatically controlled the amount of air fed to the jet engine. The air intake was moved from the chin position (an arrangement later adopted for the F-16) to the unusual dorsal location as the USAF had required the carriage of an underbelly semi-conformal nuclear weapon. The original chin intake caused a shockwave that interferred in launching this weapon. The implications this had for the survivability of the pilot during ejection were troubling. It also severely limited view to the rear, although this was not considered terribly important for a bomber aircraft, it is notable during an era when it was assumed air combat would be via guided missile exchanges outside visual range.

Extensive design changes resulted in its redesignation from F-100B to F-107A before the first prototype flew.

The F-107 was never given an official name, but was sometimes informally called the "Ultra Sabre," referring to North American's earlier fighter designs, the F-86 Sabre and the F-100 Super Sabre. The flight crews referred to it as the "Man Eater," in reference to the position of the air intake directly above the cockpit.

The designation "F-107A" was the only one assigned to the aircraft, though "YF-107A" is often used in publications.

Notes and Limitations:

Part of the SWOTUSAF series of aircraft.

Because the real aircraft never proceeded beyond the prototype stage, loadouts, mission capabilities and operational paint schemes are projections only.

3 skins are provided - The original prototype scheme, a natural metal scheme, and a Vietnam era scheme.

Because this aircraft was in competition with the F-105, we projected that it would have taken over the Thud's role in Vietnam, in addition to the air superiority/interceptor role the original F-100 was designed for. So loadouts reflect this.

The aircraft refers to some decals, visual effects, sounds, ejection seat and fuel tanks from the F-100D. The cockpit is based on a single engine fighter with a radar using the J75...either the F-104 or F-105 works fine...it defaults to the F-104 cockpit. You will have to install any other cockpit yourself.

The FM is mainly based on the F-100D, and so shares that FMs limitations. The real test article reached 2.35 Mach...this model has gone up to 2.2 Mach in level flight.

Animations for the canopy and air refueling probe use Animation control keys 1 and 2. Check your Controls page to figure out what keys you need to hit.

This is FREEWARE only, NO money is allowed to be made on the contents of these files, in whole or in part.

Feel free to redistribute, as long as the original authors are given appropriate credit.

Questions? Contact me at Combatace.

FastCargo

19 Jan 09

Awesome! Thanks to everyone involved in bringing the -107 to life!

I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrvvvveee it!

Outstanding work. Really makes one think before touching anything yellow and black in the cockpit, huh? Might be a short ride. I got to see it (I assume there is only one) at Wright Pat. Looks kind of like an F-100 had relations with a shark!!!!

Great job on the cammie skin. Bombed the crap out of the runway at Noi Bai with an eight ship.

Great bird. Only one question. I can't get the conformal drop tank to work. I added the weapon data and saved it in the editor but it isn't there. I have the same issue with the F-104's also. So I think it's something I did.

hello

Great bird,great work

thank you

PS:a little problem with the damage texture,they don't have the good name, so they don't work

Christian

Where is the weapondata.dat saved?

FC

Its located in the objects folder. Just in case I was having errors I also copied it into the weapons folder but that didn't make any difference. I have added weapons before and since and they all work except the f-104 tanks and the f-107 tank. It's odd.

Its located in the objects folder. Just in case I was having errors I also copied it into the weapons folder but that didn't make any difference. I have added weapons before and since and they all work except the f-104 tanks and the f-107 tank. It's odd.

Do you not have it in a weapons folder?

The F-107 didn't come with any weapons. Only the plane and the weapon data entry. I'm assuming it makes use of a pre-existing tank. As for the F-104, it does and they are in the weapons folder.

Chapeau! Up there with the very best FastCargo - well done :clapping: .

(Works fine in SF2)

Edited to take out comment about ventral tank.

Edited by Spinners

The F-107 didn't come with any weapons. Only the plane and the weapon data entry. I'm assuming it makes use of a pre-existing tank. As for the F-104, it does and they are in the weapons folder.

My bad the tank is part of the model, so once you add it to the weps ini, then you can get it.

As far as the F-104 tanks go I am not sure. Mine are showing up fine.

However your weaponsdata.ini and weaponsdata.dat should be in your WOXX/Objects/ Weapons folder. (Provided you are using a weapons pack)

Ah the .dat file needs to be in the weap folder! I didn't know that. That fixed everything as far as I can tell. Thanks for the help.

Ah the .dat file needs to be in the weap folder! I didn't know that. That fixed everything as far as I can tell. Thanks for the help.

:good:

ZANG!

Just downloaded the a/c Thank you very much.