Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Digging A New Beer...

Guest pfunkmusik

Well, new to me. I've always been a Guinness drinker, but I've really gotten accustomed to Newcastle Brown Ale. It's really good.

Any good recommendations for a beer snob?

pfunk

Well, new to me. I've always been a Guinness drinker, but I've really gotten accustomed to Newcastle Brown Ale. It's really good.

Any good recommendations for a beer snob?

pfunk

I drink all kids of beer. I am big fan of Sam Adams Scotch Ale. I love Newcastle. Guinness is the best, Black and Tans too boot.

Sam Adams Cream Stout...I'd also recommend the Scotch Ale.

I'd throw out some Vancouver microbrews...but kinda hard to get in TX...

FC

Try a black and blue, blueberry ale w/Guinness. In the North east we got tons of blueberry beers. Another fav Harpoon Winter Warmer by itself(its got cinnamon and nutmeg), or 50/50 it with your fav hard cider......... apple pie baby. Shipyard's Pumkinhead Ale is great too. Been drinking those and the addictive Budlight lime. I swear they put crack in that b.l.lime.

Edited by MAKO69

Yuengling

Sam Adams

Shocktop

Yuengling is my standard, but my current favorite is from Middle Ages Brewing Co (based right here in Syracuse): "XIII Anniversary," referred to as an Imperial Wheat it's 9.5% ABV...doesn't take too much to get on your way! Another good 'un, pretty complex, is "Three Philosophers" by the Ommegang Brewery (9.8%ABV, Quad.)

EDIT: Well, looks like XIII is limited to in-house tap...come to think of it, I've never seen it bottled before, always had it from a growler.

Edited by Caesar

This solves a mystery my gf and I were trying to work out the other day! Just who buys Newcastle brown?? I believe most people in the UK will be more familiar of this drink by its sobriquet of badger's p**s, which left us wondering, at up to £3 a bottle, it's not cheap so rules out tramps, alchies and chavs. It has a taste so rules out most young drinkers, but it doesn't taste of beer so rules out real ale types.. I knew there had to be more than just the domestic market of Newcastle for this!

Those North American beers and ciders look interesting! Especially at 9%, that makes it a real beer in my book! I love blueberry in drink, my chav bro makes cheeky vimpto from blueberry wkd and port, sounds minging but really quite nice.

My current favourite beer is Qusquena, followed by Effes as it's extremely good value for £1.15 from Morissons for a 500ml bottle at 5%abv, not as good as a Duvel etc but still enough charm to be worth drinking.

Oh and my gf recommends Mac Farland if you want to try a good red beer. She's just gone to make some Newcastle!

Edited by Kopis n Xiphos

If you like Newcastle, you also may want to give BASS a try as well as St. Pauli Girl Dark, and Werstiener.

Bass is my favorite....it's very much like Newcastle....

Bass is my favorite....it's very much like Newcastle....

Wow, I don't think they taste anything alike. Bass has a stronger taste, not as smooth as Newcastle. I also use Bass to make black and tans.

Guest pfunkmusik

I like Bass, but like Dave said, it's a little stronger than Newcastle. Steinlager's not too bad, either, but really hard to get here in Texas. Of course, Shiner's the state beer of Texas...

pfunk

Shiner's the state beer of Texas...

pfunk

What?????????????? You mean not Lone Star? :haha:

Newkie Broon reminds me of being a teenager. Haven't touched the stuff since. The best beer around here is Fullers' London Pride, though my stint in the US had me partial to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor Steam.

I've heard some great things about Sam Adams' Chocolate Bock. It's about $15 a bottle (big bottle though), so you had better be a fan.

I also like Blue Moon. Their beers are all pretty tasty and have a nice variety for different tastes. The Pumpkin Ale rocks!

-S

Newkie Broon reminds me of being a teenager. Haven't touched the stuff since. The best beer around here is Fullers' London Pride, though my stint in the US had me partial to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor Steam.

London's Pride is delicious, and only £2:20 a pint at the bar in T2 at BHX, well worth it!

Hahaha, I can't believe someone posted Zywiec! I do enjoy that beer.

Dave, Shiner makes Lonestar taste like rancid pi@#, lol. Get u some, u will see its true, lol. Am I right PFunk?

Wish they still made these:

100_1703.jpg

Perhaps not in order. Adjust specific gravity to OAT. Consume in quart bottles if available.

Sierra Nevada pale Ale.

Liberty Ale( Anchor Brewery).

Steinlager.

Anchor Porter.

Sam Adams.

Pilsner Urquell.

Nukes are fine but not kind to me the next morning.

:ph34r: CL

..cue music....Newcastle Brown...well it sure smacks ya down....

Yeah I know. Not a reference to beer. The song just popped into my head.

A virtual case of Newcastle for the first one to name that tune. :wink:

All of the Chimay ales are superb.

I really like Rochefort 10, too bad it is so hard to find.

trappistes-rochefort-10.jpg

Guest pfunkmusik
Dave, Shiner makes Lonestar taste like rancid pi@#, lol. Get u some, u will see its true, lol. Am I right PFunk?

Preach on, my brotha...

pfunk