Sign in to follow this  

I've been playing around with the AIM-120C from the 2.52 weapons pack and noticed that it couldn't do a BVR kill for crap. The missile is now 100% resistant to noise and countermeasures, but just dumps after a half mile to the target (usually a Flanker since I"m flying the F-22).

I have edited the FOV to 180 degrees, and when I messed with the Gimble limit, the sucker takes off the rail and slices like a golf ball. Gimble is set at 90 right now. Even with a stretched gimble limit, the AMRAAM still doesn't hit a target farther than 5 NM. What's going on? My sparrows shoot dead nuts accurate BVR, but not the AIM-120C?

Weird.

I guess I should be more specific; what do I need to do with the editor in order to make a basically perfectly accurate AMRAAM?

From what i understand look at the weapons data in the editor, edit the weapon as you would like then save the changes in the editor. Wrench or FC and Dave know far more about this process than I. also check the Knowledge Base on adding or modifying weaps.

I couldn't find anything in there about modifying, but noticed that an SA-2 hase a HUGE Gimble limit.

You can modify the weap in its data ini file then save it in the editor.

I suspect AI is not affected by the same rules weapon wise either, they fly with normal FM, but I suspect they also fly with normal weapons setting, as per manual, missile launch parameters exist but are not strict, thus since Oct08 you will get the feeling like they can kick your @ss while your missiles will not even come to them.

Also for some reason they have a much easier job evading missiles, I made an uber AIM-120C it was all 100%(reliability,accuracy,CM/noise rejection, turn rate - EVERYTHING) and booster acceleration was several hundred G's and somehow they still managed to evade atleast 25% of shots, how? - I don't know.

Anyway, and strictly in my expirience while Oct08 greatly improved gunfighting/early missile fighting aspect of the game, modern scenarios went out of the window with it. However, before b1chin' keep in mind all TW games are based around earlier ColdWar scenarios and are NOT intended to have other side playable.

I'll try a few things but I think that since I have enough HDD space I'll make two installs of the same game: Red WoE and Blue WoE, in each installs other side will be the target.

Listen to the wise words of guys that keep saying: "nice new target" - best approach to the game IMO

What are the specs of your turn rate? Here is what makes my AIM-120C turn on a dime but still can't hit a TU-95 at 270 knots!

SeekerGimbleLimit=90

SeekerFOV=180

not even a Tu95!?!? :O

I have default settings and it sure hits stuff around quite often...

What distance are you engaging them at? AIM120 is more medium ranged missile 50km max for something more than launching a prayer, if you want to engage bombers at really long ranges I suggest AIM-54©

I'm hitting them BVR at 15 NM out only! Sad isn't it?

I am curious to throw a gimble of 135 on it. This is the same as an SA-2. It will probably hit anything at that limit.

This is my entry:

[WeaponData047]

TypeName=Amraam120C4

FullName=AIM-120C AMRAAM

ModelName=Amraam120C4

Mass=150.000000

Diameter=0.178000

Length=3.660000

SubsonicDragCoeff=0.200000

SupersonicDragCoeff=0.370000

AttachmentType=NATO,USAF,USN

SpecificStationCode=

NationName=USAF

StartYear=1996

EndYear=2020

Availability=2

BaseQuantity=32

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1996

ExportEndYear=2020

ExportAvailability=0

WeaponDataType=1

RailLaunched=TRUE

RocketPod=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=TRUE

HasGrowl=FALSE

EffectClassName=MediumMissileEffects

ReleaseDelay=1.000000

WarheadType=0

Explosives=20.000000

FusingDistance=6.000000

ClusterBomblets=0

ClusterDispersion=0.000000

GuidanceType=13

Accuracy=90

MaxTurnRate=25.000000

MaxLaunchG=9.000000

LockonChance=90

LaunchReliability=90

ArmingTime=3.000000

SeekerFOV=15.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=45.000000

SeekerTrackRate=55.000000

SeekerRange=50000.000000

MinLaunchRange=1000.000000

MaxLaunchRange=72600.000000

Duration=120.000000

CounterCountermeasure=85.000000

NoiseRejection=90.000000

CapabilityFlags=0x0000002b

LoftAngle=0.000000

DescentAngle=0.000000

MaxLoftAltitude=0.000000

CLmax=14.000000

MinFreq=0.000000

MaxFreq=0.000000

BoosterStart=0.300000

BoosterDuration=6.000000

BoosterAccel=22.000000

BoosterEffectName=MissileFireEffect

BoosterSoundName=Missile

BoosterNodeName=

BoosterPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000

SustainerDuration=0.000000

SustainerAccel=0.000000

SustainerEffectName=

SustainerSoundName=

SustainerPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000

InFlightEffectName=MissileInFlightEffect

InFlightSoundName=

ReleaseAnimationID=1

ReleaseAnimationTime=5.000000

ReleaseAnimationDelay=6.300000

EODisplayFlags=0

CEP=0.000000

Note that I'm using Wingwinner's beautifull AIM120C4 model so change TypeName and ModelName to what you use if you want to try "my" settings

Edited by Brain32

I'm hitting them BVR at 15 NM out only! Sad isn't it?
I too start letting loose the AMRAAM at about 20miles. sounds right to me

Well I just shot MiG-31BM at 50km for a test(F-15C FTW :))) ) that's 31miles or 26 nautical miles away. And it wasn't even a headon shot so I think that's pretty good :)

I have never missed with an AIM-120C and that was even when I did a boresighted shot.

I have never missed with an AIM-120C and that was even when I did a boresighted shot.

Which weapons pack in which sim? I miss more than not. I am getting better with the scope tho.

I agree with Dave I have not missed with the AMRAAM yet. I use the CA community Weaps pack. :good: I use it in all WO*

Edited by Viper6

I agree with Dave I have not missed with the AMRAAM yet. I use the CA community Weaps pack. :good: I use it in all WO*

Same as Viper, in WOI, WOE, SF, and just started using the CA community pack as well.

Bunyap's -C AMRAAM, and nothing ever goes wrong with that.

Edited by kct

The CA 2.52 Community Pack uses the data from Bunyap's pack, and MF weapons packs. The AIM-120 should behave as in those packs. The only changes to missiles have been to the Russian/Soviet stuff which was done so with the assistance of Lindr and Krizis, and these updates will be reflected in 2.53 which I am working on right now.......The 2.53 should have been released several weeks ago but R/L caught up to me as I now work nights......

AMRAAMS do miss their targets with me every once in a while but I usually fire 2 AMRAAMS @ one target to insure the hit especially against modern SU's and Mig's... by they way I didn't edit the weapons pack...!

AMRAAMS do miss their targets with me every once in a while but I usually fire 2 AMRAAMS @ one target to insure the hit especially against modern SU's and Mig's... by they way I didn't edit the weapons pack...!
:blink:

Fixed the AMRAAM! With a FOV of 60 and a Gimble Limit of 135, not even a flanker doing a J-turn can get away from it! :diablo:

Fixed the AMRAAM! With a FOV of 60 and a Gimble Limit of 135, not even a flanker doing a J-turn can get away from it! :diablo:

GET EM STIG!

Meheheheh.... This is starting to remind me of Ace Combat 5 and Mobius One.

What are the specs of your turn rate? Here is what makes my AIM-120C turn on a dime but still can't hit a TU-95 at 270 knots!

SeekerGimbleLimit=90

SeekerFOV=180

don't forget that targets with a high ECM capabilty will make things tough for the missile a lot of the time.