MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

Hellshade, it's mainly the AI behaviour - I do the same with 5 or 6 Triplanes, alone in an Albatros.

You wouldn't seriously think, that you could down 6 Albatros aces in a single Tripe?

Edited by Olham

Hellshade, it's mainly the AI behaviour - I do the same with 5 or 6 Triplanes, alone in an Albatros.

You wouldn't seriously think, that you could down 6 Albatros aces in a single Tripe?

The "For contrast" remark was in reference to Air Combat Video #13 where I flew the same QC but with guns on normal. Someone asked if I may have had my guns on Stronger or Strongest, which when looking at the video, was a very reasonable question to ask considering how often the Albs blew up and with such few rounds. So I just ran the same setup again except this time with guns set to Strongest to see if they went down any quicker.

I agree with you about the AI. As good as it is compared to some of the other flight sims out there of ANY war period, there is always room for improvement and I too am hoping that P4 makes things even better. I think the Albs in particular are not as fearsome in P3 air combat as they were in real life. And for some reason the DIIIs engine appears to be particularly vulnerable to exploding when hit by a few rounds. It makes for some exciting videos but I don't know if there is any historical justification for them being DM this way in P3.

Hellshade

Some of the very best fights I have in BHaH in terms of getting close to what I feel it may have been like in RL are with the Camel against multiple DR1's. Because the hump-backed beast is such a twitchy kite to fly, (as it should be), it really keeps you on the edge in terms of trying to get the most from her without stalling out. Couple that with the fact that the AI seems to fly the DR1 better than most planes in the sim and you have a combination that will truly tax your flying and fighting abilities. Allied craft such as the Tripehound and Pup are just so pleasant to fly because of their even-temperedness that they have no real AI challengers, even when coming at you in waves, (provided you keep your wits about you and don't give up your advantage). Another excellent match-up is the DH2 against Alb DII's. You will have your hands very full if you are the lone DeHavilland against several of the Kaiser's best in Albatri.

I will close by saying that I have flown many QC's against six DR1's with my trusty Camel and I have never been able to knock them all down, and I have had to break and run on numerous occassions in order to save my own skin. I can't even recall how many times those Fokkers have shredded my kite and sent me to the mud. My best tally to date is destroying four and driving the other two off, and making it home myself.

Give it a try if you would like a white-knuckle experience.

Cheers!

Lou

I will close by saying that I have flown many QC's against six DR1's with my trusty Camel and I have never been able to knock them all down, and I have had to break and run on numerous occassions in order to save my own skin. I can't even recall how many times those Fokkers have shredded my kite and sent me to the mud. My best tally to date is destroying four and driving the other two off, and making it home myself.

Give it a try if you would like a white-knuckle experience.

I survived, more by luck than skill and it wasn't pretty at the end. I definately agree it is pure white knuckle flying. I think the paint job you did on my plane is magic. I most certainly should have been shot down twice. You may be sure this wasn't my first attempt and they put me under a cross many times before this.

Hellshades Air Combat Video #14 (8:01) 1080P HD

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

What I must try, is to choose an Elite Jasta or Squadron, and click on enemy skill "aces".

That should (hopefully) be a bit tougher then?

Hellshade, it warms me old heart to know how much you're enjoying the skin I did for you. And to respond to your comments on that video of your 6-on-1, it was a great bit of flying to be sure and a helluva' fight, and you handle the Tripehound like a pro, which also goes to my previous point about the bird. She can outfly every other kite in the sim, even when going up against multiple adversaries, and has the added bonus of being VERY forgiving in the process. Despite a single gun, the advantage is still to the Tripehound because it can outclimb and outturn everything else with ease, which allows you the ability to quickly bring your gun to bear and just as quickly avoid the enemey's. Now, the Camel can also outfly every other kite and sports twin guns to boot, but you have no room for error when engaging a group of EA. Unlike the Tripehound, the Camel will stall out and spin in a heartbeat if she is not treated with kid gloves, and you will lose several hundred feet of precious alt in a matter of a few seconds. You have to constantly fly her at the absolute edge of her envelope when fighting multiple foes and you would NEVER follow one down to assure a kill, (a luxury the Tripehound will afford you, even though it is a dangeours habit in terms of survivability). I love the Tripe as it is an absolute joy to fly and fight in, followed closely by the Pup. But for truly testing your finesse, the Camel has it in spades, and for that reason it is not everyone’s cup of tea. But then, I do tend to make things tough on myself.

:biggrin:

Keep the super videos coming Hellshade, they’re a treat.

Cheers!

Lou

What I must try, is to choose an Elite Jasta or Squadron, and click on enemy skill "aces".

That should (hopefully) be a bit tougher then?

For Quick Combats? I don't think the squadron matters, but you must select Ace for Enemy Skill for the toughest fight. They seem to be more aggressive and use more tricks. Plus, I believe their shooting might be a bit more accurate.

Hellshade

Hellshade, it warms me old heart to know how much you're enjoying the skin I did for you. And to respond to your comments on that video of your 6-on-1, it was a great bit of

But for truly testing your finesse, the Camel has it in spades, and for that reason it is not everyone’s cup of tea. But then, I do tend to make things tough on myself.

:biggrin:

Keep the super videos coming Hellshade, they’re a treat.

Cheers!

Lou

I changed the name of the skin so that it appears first on my list of Tripe skins to choose. I don't fly without it my friend!

I agree that the Sopwith Triplane flies like a dream while the Camel can be a nightmare. It has no forgiveness in it at all. Plus, I must confess I hate the top wing of the Camel. Even with the slats to look through, I always feel so blind flying it, especially compared to the Triplanes wide open view from nearly every angle. But I must learn to fly and Master it soon. The Camel was one of the most prominent fighters towards the end of the war and if I am going to make videos showing OFFs variety, I certainly cannot neglect such an important peice of history. There may be a pause in new videos while I learn the beast. Hopefully I will find a way to do her justice. She was a killer in the skies no matter what. She'd kill for you if you knew how to handle her but she would just as quickly kill you if you didn't. I see a lot of wooden crosses in my near future. /sigh

Hellshade

I survived, more by luck than skill and it wasn't pretty at the end. I definately agree it is pure white knuckle flying. I think the paint job you did on my plane is magic. I most certainly should have been shot down twice. You may be sure this wasn't my first attempt and they put me under a cross many times before this.

Hellshades Air Combat Video #14 (8:01) 1080P HD

Hellshade

GADS! What did you say your name was again? Uhh.. Coleslaw?

The Tripe was a quite amazing plane.. Cecil Lewis had flow about 40 planes in WWI and he said it was the best of all of them. It was finally outclassed by the copycat DRI and newer planes with more firepower by the end of 1917, but while it was around it had more ace victories then any other one. I read that it wasn't good in a power dive and could loose it's wings though.. anyone run into that?

Edited by rabu

GADS! What did you say your name was again? Uhh.. Coleslaw?

The Tripe was a quite amazing plane.. Cecil Lewis had flow about 40 planes in WWI and he said it was the best of all of them. It was finally outclassed by the copycat DRI and newer planes with more firepower by the end of 1917, but while it was around it had more ace victories then any other one. I read that it wasn't good in a power dive and could loose it's wings though.. anyone run into that?

I've lost my wings now and then in a power dive but not nearly as often as in a Nieuport or an Albatross. I think I read somewhere around here that it was mechanical problems on the ground that gave a it short lifespan in the war more than being out performed, but I could not say for sure. She is certainly my favorite plane to fly. Good speed, incredible field of view. Outstanding turn fighter and yet an exceptionally stable gun platform at the same time.

The one gun is her only drawback in my opinion, but being able to get right up on the Enemy Aircraft before firing and then having the ability to easily turn away at the last split second to avoid being hit makes up for it.

Remember, a .30 cal machine gun is dangerous at 50 yards. At 5 yards, it's pretty much guaranteed to be lethal.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

It's not just the plane, you, sir, are one hell of a shade of a pilot, IMHO. I still think you should change your name to Lt. Coleslaw :salute:.

Edited by rabu

RAF_Louvert is rather modes... he wrote a great mission called Zepplins over Paris and this is the well narrated film he made: (click here) He's done several others that look interesting too.

BTW, Lou, will this mission work in P3?

You are too kind rabu. And yes, all of the missions I've posted will work in P3.

Just an update, the link for the Zep video has changed. Here is the new one:

Edited by RAF_Louvert

I see that the outstanding films just keep on coming from our resident artists. Well done Hellshade and Olham. And, I finally have my FRAPS sorted out again so I gave a go at putting together another video vignette of my own. I had a go-round this AM in my Aussie Brisfit with a pair of DVa 200's in the skies above Egypt, and managed to capture the whole affair for posterity. Enjoy.

Cheers!

Lou

Just got around to watching this - very evocative indeed, Lou. Your gunner's a frightfully keen chap though isn't he, thought he was going to stick both barrels in your ear a couple of times! Hav to hand it to the MAW developers, that aerial shout of the Pyramids looked really authentic, even had the lesser and household tombs around them.

Very glad you enjoyed it Dej, and I too was a bit concerned about my gunner/obs taking my ear off. At one point I had to swing round and give him a clout with my binocs after which he settled down. Also, I agree the MAW devs did do a splendid job.

On the Waterfront

Whenever I want to feel free, and closer to my homeland Ostfriesland, I fly with MFJ 1.

Today I was flying with the aces Leutnant zur See Voss, Flugobermaat Luitjens and

Flugmeister Brenner. We had a great harvest - we sent down 5 FE2b; and returning

we ran into four Nieuport 24, which we also destroyed.

URL=http://combatace.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12997]gallery_50835_358_13147.jpg[/url]

Back over the lines for the French

RAF_Louvert,

I've been reading your addendum to the Sopwith Camel survival in the air guide. I'd love to see a video of you performing some of those moves against a few DR 1s. That would be very cool to see in action. I am still learning to fly that beast. Besides the tricky gyroscopic flight features of the plane, the view around those huge wings is just horrific! It's definately easy to lose track of the Huns quickly and I find I need to be twisting my plane all around the sky just to keep a view on the huge blind spots.

Once in your view though, the twin guns make short work of the huns if you are accurate.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Hellshade, I'll see if I can capture some footage for you this weekend.

Greetings All,

Here's a short one that is the result of being up far too late the previous evening, (oh me achin 'ed).

Cheers!

Lou

Nice flying Lou. Cutting it pretty close there. Just the way I like it! :salute:

Hellshade

Hey Lou, that link pulled up another alongside... your N17s vs. DIIIs in the Alps - absolutely awesome camera work and flying there, Sir! I can't 'hit a barn door with a shovel' outside of the virtual cockpit view so I was most impressed. And capturing the moment when your Hun almost collided with his own engine which you'd helpfully forced him to jettison moments before - superb!

Edited by Dej

If you want "äktshönn" flying German side in summer 1917, fly with the aces von Richthofen, Bruno Loerzer,

Erich Loewenhardt or Ernst Udet. There will be plenty of cannon fodder for you!

It's the most perfect anti-aging cure by the way.

Edited by Olham