Sign in to follow this  
Guest a10boar

In Full Afterburner,Engine sounds quiet?

Guest a10boar

Installed Wings Over Vietnam patched to oct '08 WOV and then merged installed Wings Over Europe.Patched that to oct '08 WOE.

Mods installed is as follows;

4 seasons WOE

Widesky

Tornado F.3

F/A-18F (new model)

March 2009 Directx redist

Edited the opitions for years of service (thanks for knowledge base!)

settings to unlimited for graphics and custom gameplay

Any aircraft that has afterburner will have afterburner sound till entering sound barrier envelope,then goes dead silence from engines.Still hear communications,SAM warnings and sidewinders good.But,no engine sound as stated above.

Question:Where did I mess this up?

well, if your engine has sound right up untill you engage afterburners, then it goes quiet, it means that there is a problem with the afterburner sound. Check the data.ini of each plane that this happens to. Open the data.ini and scroll down to the [sound] section. It should look something like this.

[sound]

EngineSoundName=JetEngine

AfterburnerSoundName=JetBurner

DamagedEngineSoundName=

FlapsSoundName=Flaps

AirbrakesSoundName=Airbrakes

GearsSoundName=Gear

Now, look at the "AfterburnerSoundName". It should be the same as the name of a sound in your game's main "Sound" folder. If there is no sound file that matches the listing in the .ini, the plane's afterburner will have no sound. Also, if there is a typo in the .ini, the sound may not show up either.

Edited by Rambler 1-1

..reread the statement again....

Any aircraft that has afterburner will have afterburner sound till entering sound barrier envelope, then goes dead silence from engines.

It's called 'moving faster than your sound footprint'. Listen, in game, to what happens when you drop below mach 1 .. the sounds come back, don't they???

This is a feature (not a bug) added post patch. I'm sure our real pilots, with multi-mach experience will chime in here with what happens

wrench

kevin stein

It's called 'moving faster than your sound footprint'.

+1

I think it is cool as crap, personally!

I remember the 1st time it happened I was like, coo-ool!

:good:

whoops, I didn't even know about that! I guess I've been moving too much mud and not doing enough high-speed stuff. :dntknw:

It's called 'moving faster than your sound footprint'. Listen, in game, to what happens when you drop below mach 1 .. the sounds come back, don't they???

This is a feature (not a bug) added post patch. I'm sure our real pilots, with multi-mach experience will chime in here with what happens

wrench

kevin stein

A great way to know if you're going supersonic without looking at the gauges!

Guest a10boar

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for help everyone.Mr.Wrench,completely understand now.And yes the sounds do come back on all aircraft that proceeds under approx. 786 mph.Think it's cool to see the Tornado F.3 pass through the sound barrier with the vapors passing over the wing roots.Sorry,it took so long for reply.Weather problems.

I doubt that any engine sound vanish above mach 1 on a real plane... You surely must hear the sound, the engine vibrations transmitted by the fuselage, to have at least a kind of buzzing from the turbines. Or am I here mistaken?

Uhu

I doubt that any engine sound vanish above mach 1 on a real plane... You surely must hear the sound, the engine vibrations transmitted by the fuselage, to have at least a kind of buzzing from the turbines. Or am I here mistaken?

Uhu

Consider this: if you are traveling faster than sound, how could the sound of your own engine reach you?

Uhu

I think you're right about that. This is what one physics dude had to say about it.

"The pilot mostly hears the engine via vibrations through the aircraft's body, so it doesn't matter what the speed is. From what I've read, there's no abrupt change in the sound of the air going past the air craft, but note that a shock wave is generated at the leading edge (or point) of the aircraft, and that the cockipt is within the boundaries of this shock wave. The shock wave accelerates the air, so much of the relative air flow with the aircraft within the shock wave boundaries is sub-sonic."

But I don't know how competent he is, here's the discussion: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=237410

Within the aircraft, sound from behind the pilot can still reach the pilots ears. The pilots ears are not supersonic relative to the air inside the cockpit. Of course the engine is not within the cockpit but still most sound from the engine is transmitted through the body and should reach the cockpit. Faster than sound just means the plane is traveling faster than sound does in the air surrounding it, not that it travels faster than sound inside itself.

I don't know about other aircraft,but in the F-4 what you hear above Mach 1 is mostly the outside wind roar going past the aircraft. Even above Mach 1 there is still wind noise.

Don't forget that your helmet has sound reducing ear cups built into it,so that you can hear radio communications and the other stuff(missile warnings and such).

If you take off your helmet in flight the noise is incredible. Wind noise,vibrations,gyros spinning ,electronic equipment running,engine noise,etc.