Sign in to follow this  
MK2

I'm confused about Ace skins and have a question

When I first started playing OFF a few months back I remember an exchange in a post where I asked if the Aces that were in the game had their own personal individual skins added on to them and if they would be visible during campaign flights (if they flew with you or you ran into them) . I heard that no it was not possible.

Today I am flying my "dedicated for Siggi's killboard DiD/TLW" campaign in my Fokker Dr1 against SE5as and a wandering group of Bristol fighters.

As I down my first englishman I remember seeing a Fokker Dr1 flash past me in beautiful colors (somewhat like my Jastas' colors but with splashes of red along the fusealge...a sign or a red line), I then noticed another unit had joined the fray but they had their own unique color and it did not match the previously seen Fokker. As I dodged in an out of the battle I kept seeing flashes of this DR1...even though I had labels on , I could not take the time to study who I was seeing and in no way was in any posotion to take a screenshot.

I am positive I ran into an individual Ace with his own personal plane.

Now my questions....

Am I seeing things?

Is it possible to assign an individual skin to an individual ace?

Has it been done in some cases?

IIRC I read that there are around 430 aces with correct skins depicted in BH&H. Ask OvS he should know. He skinned a boatload of them.

CJ

There are about 3200 skins in the current version. I haven't counted, but I would guess that about one tenth of them are unit skins. The rest are all individual aces.

Cheers,

shredward

Am I seeing things?

Is it possible to assign an individual skin to an individual ace?

Has it been done in some cases?

MK2, I don't know who said that, or where it was posted, but it was wrong. BHaH, as Shred has already pointed out, has a massive amount of ace paints assigned to individual pilots/aces. Many even move with the ace as his career develops.

The Dr.1's, other than some J11 skins, were done by Makai. His work is fantastic and very detailed. So you saw them active in the game. We didn't get them all in, but we certainly got more than we ever expected. :)

All the best,

OvS

Thank you for the repsonses!

I understood from the very beginning, completely, that there are thousands of skins.

I did not know that individual aces , while in flight in campaign, sported their own skins. I was obviously miss informed.

It could be that I mostly (until recently) played late war yanks....etc...and I never saw any of the skins assigned to them and the aces that I flew against all had regular unit skins.

It's really awesome to know that and I will surely be on the look out! Thanks!

so does anyone know out of the 2900 or so individual ace skins how many have in game assignments?

I have encountered many Aces so far. All of them with their own colors. I remember an amazing Alb DIII (or II) which I downed with the help of my wingman at Vimy Ridge April 1917. It was all black and had a stunning red shape at the size of the fuselage. It seemed like a comet tail. I wasnt very keen to shoot it down. Damn the Germans knew how to make their crates beautiful.

I think the confusion has arisen from the fact you have the same skin yourself, as your wingmen?...that (as far as I am aware) cannot be changed.

I think the confusion has arisen from the fact you have the same skin yourself, as your wingmen?...that (as far as I am aware) cannot be changed.

Yes, one of the problems we faced was simply not being able to assign a specific skin to ourselves, and not to the wing. Hopefully someday we can work it out.

Now about the Yank area. The Huns in that area are unfortunately thin on aces and ace skins for that area/time period. If we do another release, we're going to focus more on area like that to add in more detail, plane types and aces. There just weren't many in the southern areas like Marne, and Alsace.

OvS

Yes, one of the problems we faced was simply not being able to assign a specific skin to ourselves, and not to the wing. Hopefully someday we can work it out.

Now about the Yank area. The Huns in that area are unfortunately thin on aces and ace skins for that area/time period. If we do another release, we're going to focus more on area like that to add in more detail, plane types and aces. There just weren't many in the southern areas like Marne, and Alsace.

OvS

OvS

Hi, MK2

You could put the "pause" on a button easy to reach.

I often press "pause", when I encounter aces, cause I want to write down their names for the claim report.

Also, for your learning, it is very interesting to pan through your outside viwe in that "frozen" status, to find,

were evryone else is, and how they are doing.

Now the purists would say: "Spoils the immersion! Cheat! Etc."

But sometimes, I do that anyway; especially for good screenshots, to choose the right angle.

SSHHHH... Olham!.. It's only cheating if people know we do it!! :blush2:

Hahaha! Widow - God sees it all! :angel:

Just look around you on take off, depending on what craft/squad if an Ace flight is there with your flight, Aces will usually have their own individual skin?

Also others you meet will too as long as the skin is available for that Ace, in that particular craft, in that squad, for that date ;) (i.e. one Ace may need loads to cover his whole career).

The problem as OvS says is that you cannot have a player's flight using different models. All will fly the same model in the flight. In OFF's case that is a model assigned called xxxxxx_Sqd. Or in QC, xxxxxx_QC1 craft.

That's the only problem really.

In CFS3 1 model can have only 1 skin. However you can make "variants" or copies of the model with different names. So part of the special work OFF Manager does is have multiple models and then dynamically assign those to Aces or to other flights whatever. Then it works out based on the Ace, date, model, squad etc which skin to apply.

Other flights can have different models to the player, plus also mixed models, so Ac1 Ac2 Ac3... , Sq1 Sq2... etc. So the correctr skin is swapped in before mission starts for each craft, squad, appropriate to the date/squad/craft whatever.

God knows I'm not cheating, only taking pictures. Good explanation Pol, thanks.