Sign in to follow this  
Ruiner29

Do TW sims run on 64bit OS's ?

I am building a new computer in a few days and I am just wondering if the TW games run well or at all on XP-64 or Vista-64.

Does anyone know ?

If they do run is there any performance difference ?

The main reason i'm going to 64bit is to get around the 4gb of ram limit on 32bit OS's.

Here are the components the new machine will have:

Core 2 Duo e8500 3.16mhz 1333fsb

8gb Kingston 1066mhz ddr2 Ram

Asus P5N-T deluxe mobo 1333fsb 3-way SLI @16x PCIe 2.0

640gb Sata 2 WD hard drive

Asus/Nvidia 9600GSO 384mb ddr2 (two of these installed for now but will be upgraded later)

600mhz core, 1700mhz shader, 1800mhz mem clock.

They aren't too shabby performance wise for $90 Canadian at a local store. LOL !

Any comments will be appreciated.

The games have run without trouble for me in Vista 64 and Windows 7 64-bit. You just have to install the latest updates for Direct X.

I just installed it in Vista x64. works great except the delay I'm experiencing after exiting instant action in WoI.

Strike Fighters 2 was made to run on vista and xp vist the site Third Wire. com/community/ forums to get all the tech info from TK himself

Edited by Viper6

Runs fine on my vista 64 rig with the new patches, my problem is with the 8/06 patch- none of the fixes in the kb address this weird screen resolution problem that causes ctd when i try to run at 1920x 1080p actually i think it crashes If you go above 1280x 768 or something like that. This really sucks because with the exception of air to air combat the 8/06 patch is better for certain things like AI smart weapon usage with CAS and armed recon missions and most of the killer lexx_luther effects look best with the old patch.

Runs fine on my vista 64 rig with the new patches, my problem is with the 8/06 patch- none of the fixes in the kb address this weird screen resolution problem that causes ctd when i try to run at 1920x 1080p actually i think it crashes If you go above 1280x 768 or something like that. This really sucks because with the exception of air to air combat the 8/06 patch is better for certain things like AI smart weapon usage with CAS and armed recon missions and most of the killer lexx_luther effects look best with the old patch.

Is this a Vista 64 only problem ?

I'm going to give XP 64 a try anyway.

If I don't like it I may go over to Vista 64.

Running with the newest patch from TW would be my preference.

I'm running sf2 on xp x64 and it works fine.

Negative. I'm using Vista x64 and I can run the game fine without crashes at 1440x900 resolution. I don't know about higher res though

Edited by Miracles

*- most of the killer lexx_luther effects look best with the old patch.

Such as?? I was afraid of this. I retreated with tail between LeGGs to old patch.

One thing I recall before the retreat: Enviro sun and sunglare sizes should be doubled in the new patch.

Air-Air is better, but didn't offer anything new that was useful. The tragedy I recall -- radar BVR engagement is for radar homing missiles only -- if the fighter has no RH missiles, the radar won't see anything, and so will do nothing. This prevents the new feature from simulating night intercepts with IR missiles, rockets, or guns only. The only fix I could theorize was add a few "fake" no-mass no-drag no-warhead RH missiles, having a certain minimum range, to every radar equipped fighter, such as Me-110 and Mosquito, which if they got close enough, would then switch to guns (or IRM or rockets).

I am running Vista 64 too. All is well.

I'm running in Vista 64 with the latest patch, no issues. And the newest ATI drivers let me play the game with crossfire now.

Negative. I'm using Vista x64 and I can run the game fine without crashes at 1440x900 resolution. I don't know about higher res though

Are you using the old 8/06 patch? that is the one that is crashing at high res.

If you're using the Aug 06 patch, your chances for any TW sim NOT working in Vista are much higher.

Almost all the Vista problems (32 and 64 bit) were solved with the Oct 08 patch.

FC