Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

Have to smile .....

Here is what I heard and what was told to me ....

To play in SP mode, you need to be connected, you login, then start mission in SP, you do not need to be connected now.

When you log-off you will need to be connected.

So to play in SP mode you do not need to be connect 100% of the time.

Cheers,

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

Do you know something we don't Gremlin, or are you just phishing? :secret:

Nice try Gremlin... I'm a better poker player than that... :haha:

WF2:

You are saying that in RoF you have to be connected at the beginning of the SP session and at the end of the SP session. Does that mean you can stop in the middle of your SP session and disconnect ??? To be honest, once you start playing, you are not going to disconnect, since you still have to connect at the end of the game too.

This is one of the big reasons that I play both OFF3 and FE, I do not have to "check in" with anybody to play a session or if their server is down, I can not play the game. At least with the SES Distant Guns or Jutland games, you only have to "check in" once a week to their server and not worry about their servers inbetween time.

WF2:

You are saying that in RoF you have to be connected at the beginning of the SP session and at the end of the SP session. Does that mean you can stop in the middle of your SP session and disconnect ??? To be honest, once you start playing, you are not going to disconnect, since you still have to connect at the end of the game too.

This is one of the big reasons that I play both OFF3 and FE, I do not have to "check in" with anybody to play a session or if their server is down, I can not play the game. At least with the SES Distant Guns or Jutland games, you only have to "check in" once a week to their server and not worry about their servers inbetween time.

I was just answering a valid question that most members here were asking, "do I have to be connect to the net all the time?"

This is the answer. So if you have dial up, it may help?

Yes, I will say that if the server is down one cannot login and play, been there, done that. :dntknw:

Cheers,

WF2

I was just answering a valid question that most members here were asking, "do I have to be connect to the net all the time?"

This is the answer. So if you have dial up, it may help?

Yes, I will say that if the server is down one cannot login and play, been there, done that. :dntknw:

Cheers,

WF2

WF2 S!

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's correct. As you know, your simhq thread has asked for clarification from the devs on this. All that's happened is that someone has referred folks to a thread which says, if i read it correctly, that you have to have a constant online connection to play single play.!

Why is it that the devs or their Reps don't answer on this important ( and now confused ) question?

I am sorry, but I don't log in to Russian web sites at all. As a computer professional of many years, I do not like the idea of my pc contacting any site without my knowledge, as who knows what data they will be sending. This also applies to to M$, I spend a lot of time getting rid of their WGA spyware. This is normally caused by silly users that allow all 'updates' from Bill Gates.

I use Firefox as a browser, and have added 'Flagfox' which shows you where the physical web server is located, no matter what the ip suffix is. I have found South African bank sites which look good but are actually in the Ukraine ... I normally reply to these phishers and give them incorrect bank details just to waste their time.

I have a good firewall - any program trying to get out to the Internet has to have my permission. And those trying to get in can't.

I am very happy with OFF and see no reason to try another WWI sim. I like this one and reckon I can carry on playing it for ever. After all, I am still in 1915 with both my squadrons, and to get all squadrons to Nov 11th 1918 would take me about 500 years at the rate I am going!

Hmm...long thread. Seems like ROF stands for "RISE OF FRUSTRATION". :blowup:

Crossbones

Well, it is true that the communication and anouncements are having a few restarts.

Management may be a bit green.

Nice try Gremlin... I'm a better poker player than that... :haha:

Damn did not work out, not even from hun to hun :tomato2:

:biggrin:

Viks talks about it here..........

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2698679/1.html

CJ

Yes I remember that post Cameljockey, thats right after the crap hit the proverbial fan about the required on/off/on internet connection even for SP. I have tried many times to explain this to people who ask and they just don't seem to understand...no connection...no play even in SP. Neoqbs servers are down.. no play, your IP is down...no play, neoqb goes belly up...DEFINATELY no play and maybe for a long time too boot and just maybe the possibility you will never get to play RoF again. Some of these guys try to spin this into a positive and I just don't see how anyone with half a brain can see this as a good thing. Some honesty believe that neoqb will release a patch to make RoF playable in the event of their demise even though neoqb has NEVER said this would happen, heck some of these guys are banking on a hacker to come along and help them out if neoqb falls on it's butt. Talk about living in a dream world :rofl: I think the funnest one I read was a guy saying that even if he had over a hundred dollars invested in RoF and it's add-ons and neoqb crashed and burned in one year, and he could never play RoF again, he would be content and not upset in the least because he got his money's worth...If neoqb does go the way of the dodo I want to be there to read what this guy is saying then :ok:

I will see if I can get someone from Neoqb to answer this.

But, don't hold your breath .... LOL!

I did find this post .....

Originally Posted By: dunkelgrun

However, VikS, can you please clear this up for everyone?

1. Does there have to be a permanent internet connection during the whole of offline play?

yes and no cause -

Quote:

2. If, after a person has logged on and is playing offline, will the game continue if the internet connection is broken?

As example, yesterday I've played a long mission, and during that time my Internet connection broken, w/o finishing a mission I've just re-connected and continued mission, BUT if i wouldn't do it before clicking on "finish mission" button, i will get an "server error message".

Same thing when I am starting any mission - if you are offline - you will not be able to start it.

Quote:

3. If a player does not submit his/her offline stats to Neoqb at the end of a session, will they be able to load the next mission in the sequence that they were playing?

If you are playing campaign - you can restart the mission if you didn't like results, but if you exited this mission (by finishing it) - stats will be recorded.

As about online - when you setting up a server, you will have to check/uncheck an checkbox with "send results to master-server", so if you've just had a mission and don't want to see it in your overall stats - you can do as you want.

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

Hello,

" ... Why is it that the devs or their Reps don't answer on this important ( and now confused ) question? ..."

1st:

because they already said it a hundred times: You have to be online even for single play, this means during starting a mission, and when ending it - not necessarily while flying - but initially, and after. Otherwise there will be no counting or acknowledging of what you did, or achieved in your mission. I can imagine what this means for people with a dial-up connection - and think about 300 mb patches with ISDN or a 56k modem lol - but don't we all have DSL and a flatrate ? No ?! Cheapskates !! :haha:

Apparently in the minds of the RoF people - and i include those "independent" Ming and Freycinet "fans" who steamroll anyone who might criticise it - anyone certainly has to have constant internet access, and a flatrate, this is the future of flight sims yippiehhh.

It is not enough to buy a game anymore, you have to additionally pay more, to finally get what you thought you paid for, when buying the sim.

2nd:

Because any definite answer in an open forum will probably scare away potential customers

3rd:

Being online for the whole time while playing RoF is part of RoF's "anti piracy" model, and thus it becomes a "digital rights management" or "DRM" issue, which may not be talked about in public forums at SimHQ. So asking for online issues will automatically include DRM critic, and instantly lock the thread, or move it to the DRM subforum. Nice move, eh ?

So there is a closed subforum dealing with DRM (= being online) where you can go and read about it, but only if you register and log on to SimHQ's homepage.

Some folks have de-registered from SimHQ exactly because of this - including me. Yes it is pathetic and idiotic, but ... it is my decision - i do not need SimHQ, and this was at least setting a statement of what i think about those policies.

Then i would like to enter an english forum from RoF and ask some of the folks directly, but it still is all russian even after the US release. It certainly does not look really professional, but i still hope they will get on with their project.

HTH,

Wels

Edited by Wels

I will see if I can get someone from Neoqb to answer this.

But, don't hold your breath .... LOL!

You better ask them please to fix the latest 1.002 'version' ASAP, the game is practically unplayable at moment. It's just broken.

Dirk.

You better ask them please to fix the latest 1.002 'version' ASAP, the game is practically unplayable at moment. It's just broken.

I've never thought of this, but now I start to understand better those who abstain from internet-based games. If they can fubar that bad their own product, I'm getting concerned about my PC they connect and send their malicious 'patches' to. I'm really frustrated and just need to shut up.

Dirk

Edited by Dirk98

Hello Dirk,

oops - do you have the sim ? Are you by any chance living in Europe ?? :wink: How did you ...

And if, why is it unplayable ?! Don't say this is indeed one of the problems discussed ... can you roll back the sim to the last version, or uninstall the update ?

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Hello Dirk,

oops - do you have the sim ? Are you by any chance living in Europe ?? :wink: How did you ...

And if, why is it unplayable ?! Don't say this is indeed one of the problems discussed ... can you roll back the sim to the last version, or uninstall the update ?

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

No, that's the problem, Wels. You become the hostage of their authorization server that you connect to every single time you restart the game. And it decides for you about everything what you need and need not, including the patches. Why are you asking if have the sim btw? Sounds strange at least. And yeh, I live in europe if you mean geography. ;)

Dirk.

Guys, pls help me to unsubscribe from this forum, I get EVERY new message that is posted in OFF section. I just want those replies that I subscribe to.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98

All this leads to the point anybody involved in the biz is aware of, and that is that the vast majority of commercial games appearing on the market just simply aren't up to the job.

(there are exceptions to that rule, but those are few and far between)

preliminary reports of Rof are not good, and in my opinion that renders the verdict of, largely unplayable unless you do what the developers demand, which is not what good game design is all about.

It simply confirms the initial remark that off has the ability to take away, and deservedly so, the bulk of rof's thunder. they may have marketing on their side, but we've got something better: a good game.

the current attitude of some developers is the principle reason why some of the big game design talent have left the business in recent months, you cannot substitute talent with marketing, no matter how much you spend on it, rof's just the latest example of a rushed greedy developer.

solid experienced productions, will always be better than a slap-dash grab for cash.

which all adds up to making off even more valuable as a project.

they may have marketing on their side, but we've got something better: a good game...

...you cannot substitute talent with marketing, no matter how much you spend on it, rof's just the latest example of a rushed greedy developer.

The fastest way to kill a bad product is with good advertising

I can understand their desire to eliminate piracy

It's their product and they want to protect it

But the answer isn't to place annoying restrictions on honest paying customers

Hope they get this sorted out

The fastest way to kill a bad product is with good advertising

I can understand their desire to eliminate piracy

It's their product and they want to protect it

But the answer isn't to place annoying restrictions on honest paying customers

Hope they get this sorted out

Objectively we're getting more and more hooked up on the Internet. Look at MS pushing their Windows Live. The piracy is a huge problem in the marginal flight simulation business.

Dirk.

talking of Windows...I believe M$ are talking about Future versions of Windows not even being installed on the Host machine..but on a server!

scary!

The piracy is a huge problem in the marginal flight simulation business.

Dirk.

That may not be correct. I agree that piracy is a problem in the gaming industry, but I do not think there are hordes of true flight simmers out there, waiting for a pirated version.

The ones who do use the pirated versions ( of flight sims ) are not guys who would otherwise have bought it if the pirated version didn't exist.

Flight simmers are not like that. Flight simmers want a good flight/campaign experience and are almost all undoubtedly willing to pay for the products they want to play.

IMHO, It's because it is such a niche pastime, that that is the case.

Blackdog says it better over on Simhq.

That may not be correct. I agree that piracy is a problem in the gaming industry, but I do not think there are hordes of true flight simmers out there, waiting for a pirated version.

The ones who do use the pirated versions ( of flight sims ) are not guys who would otherwise have bought it if the pirated version didn't exist.

Flight simmers are not like that. Flight simmers want a good flight/campaign experience and are almost all undoubtedly willing to pay for the products they want to play.

IMHO, It's because it is such a niche pastime, that that is the case.

Blackdog says it better over on Simhq.

Hmm.. Wish I could agree with you on the flightsim piracy front FB

The likes of Justflight, Wilco, Flight1, Aerosim and many more, have dedicated pirate sites all making cracked / Pirated versions of their software.

One particular site (which I am not going to name for obvious reasons) was the subject of many discussions on 'another flightsim forum'

Piracy is a real problem for the smaller flightsim developers sadly.

This may clear up the SP play ... from the SimHQ RoF forum;

Yes, Papa I speak from having the product.

You can log on, start your mission, unplug/disconnect fly that mission, land or if you simply want to end in the air. Plug back in or reconnect then select the "finish mission" option.

As far as alt/tabing and such that's a problem you inherit when you decide to disconnect in that manner. The tech support is on you for that (haha) but I've had no issues or crashes doing so through unplugging the router or disconnecting and reconnecting.

This is with DSL, I don't have a transporter to take me back to 1994 and see how 56K dial up behaves.

S!

WF2

This may clear up the SP play ... from the SimHQ RoF forum;

WF2

Not ideal..but a move in the right direction