Which DM do you use

Which DM do you use  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which DM do you use

• Normal
    • Hardcore
    • Intermediate (3rd Party)

definitely hardcore.

even with hardcore dm if you hit one with a burst of 3-4 seconds he'll drop. if you aim good and hit important parts, he will fall even sooner. if you just spray bullets around, he won't fall. in literatur if they say he fell apart after one burst, the burst was about 4-5 seconds at least. that's why they had to get close and aim good. from longer distance you can hit him occasionally, but more rounds will miss than hit him. there is a reason why they begun to carry two guns instead of one. with normal DM you can get 8 kills with one gun, shooting at them from 1500 feet, and that's arcadish. that was not the case in real. the guys who had kills after couple bursts were the guys who came close and aimed good, the guys who did not, didn't have kills. there weren't accidental kills because one sprayed bullets around hitting an enemy who fell after one bullet. hardcore reflects that perfectly. there were lot of pilots (ball, LvR...) who landed after every sortie with a ton of bullets in their aircraft.

Further to my earlier, I have done a brief test of two xdp files with the Hardcore DM. All seemed Ok and the damage seen included fire in cockpit, explosion, and wheels off, or wings off.

Sometimes just some debris .

All planes went in.

I will put the xdp files with the TVs only modded up in this thread for you to try with your hardcore installs, if you wish.

The install instructions ( very simple ) are in that thread.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=41821

cheers

FB

definitely hardcore.

even with hardcore dm if you hit one with a burst of 3-4 seconds he'll drop. if you aim good and hit important parts, he will fall even sooner. if you just spray bullets around, he won't fall. in literatur if they say he fell apart after one burst, the burst was about 4-5 seconds at least. that's why they had to get close and aim good. from longer distance you can hit him occasionally, but more rounds will miss than hit him. there is a reason why they begun to carry two guns instead of one. with normal DM you can get 8 kills with one gun, shooting at them from 1500 feet, and that's arcadish. that was not the case in real. the guys who had kills after couple bursts were the guys who came close and aimed good, the guys who did not, didn't have kills. there weren't accidental kills because one sprayed bullets around hitting an enemy who fell after one bullet. hardcore reflects that perfectly. there were lot of pilots (ball, LvR...) who landed after every sortie with a ton of bullets in their aircraft.

I think you're right in large part. Though in theory you could get "lucky" with a shot (as MvR was wounded by a lucky shot), to bring a plane down you really should have to put a solid burst into at least one vital component of the aircraft. In the alternative you'd have to really chew the hell out of controls or the like to damage the structure. But really if you want an economical kill, the DM require a solid hit to something vital. After all, most of these planes are just hardened fabric or wood box kites. If you shoot a hole in it-- it's just a hole. But if you hit the fuel tank or the oil or pilot, now you're talking. I tend to think this was what made Fonck so deadly-- he really took his time to line up shots on the vitals rather than just "filling with shot".

I think you're right in large part. Though in theory you could get "lucky" with a shot (as MvR was wounded by a lucky shot), to bring a plane down you really should have to put a solid burst into at least one vital component of the aircraft. In the alternative you'd have to really chew the hell out of controls or the like to damage the structure. But really if you want an economical kill, the DM require a solid hit to something vital. After all, most of these planes are just hardened fabric or wood box kites. If you shoot a hole in it-- it's just a hole. But if you hit the fuel tank or the oil or pilot, now you're talking. I tend to think this was what made Fonck so deadly-- he really took his time to line up shots on the vitals rather than just "filling with shot".

of course you are right with the lucky shot :biggrin: . but it's the exception, not the order.

by the way. is a melonshot programmed in BHAH? i mean where you can in theory with the first bullet down one if hitting his head (like in rb3d)? never experienced it so far.

of course you are right with the lucky shot :biggrin: . but it's the exception, not the order.

by the way. is a melonshot programmed in BHAH? i mean where you can in theory with the first bullet down one if hitting his head (like in rb3d)? never experienced it so far.

I believe there is a kill shot of some kind-- I've gotten kills where I'll hear the pilot yell and suddenly the plane loses control and crashes quickly. I'm not sure if that's a headshot or just a general kill shot.

I believe there is a kill shot of some kind-- I've gotten kills where I'll hear the pilot yell and suddenly the plane loses control and crashes quickly. I'm not sure if that's a headshot or just a general kill shot.

that's what i meant. headshot, heartshot...whatever. lethal shots where one bullet is enough.

thank you sirmike :good:

Hardcore.......i live longer!

Further to my earlier, I have done a brief test of two xdp files with the Hardcore DM. All seemed Ok and the damage seen included fire in cockpit, explosion, and wheels off, or wings off.

Sometimes just some debris .

All planes went in.

I will put the xdp files with the TVs only modded up in this thread for you to try with your hardcore installs, if you wish.

The install instructions ( very simple ) are in that thread.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=41821

cheers

FB

Thanks for doing all that work. The effort you and Herr Prop-Wasche are putting in is much appreciated. I'll definitely give it a go. Whilst everything discussed about accuracy and working for the kill I hold to be true, I'm of like mind with Siggi in wanting a bit more 'visceral eye candy' for the effort I'm putting in. Hope there aren't too many 'flamerinos' though.

Guest British_eh

OK, I suppose I should give Hardcore a try. While this is a great choice, it doesn't really affect whether you die, or live. At 100 % Realism, you will die, in less than 17 hours, in a busy time at the front, the majority of time. Although we have a myriad of settings, in the end, I have only made it to 4.33 hours, with my favorite plane, the DR1, flying on Medium settings for the aircraft. After much diligent research, and input from a pilot who has flown a replica, this setting best imitates the DR1. It was an easy plane to fly, and only a bother on the landing re: the narrow wheelbase, and the tendency to flip because of the torque. The aircraft is quite difficult to control on Hard settings, but of course, this is the only way to achive 100% Realism. The Dev Team could I'm sure address this ongoing issue, but I'm sure, they have bigger fish to fry.

Regards,

British_eh

It's looking like Hardcore is the primary choice so far, though most if not everyone who has used the Intermediate DM seems to prefer that. Just curious then if it's possible to make a hybrid of Hardcore and Intermediate, which would be the Hardcore DM, however it would use the damage effects % of Intermediate so more planes would show more damage before being shot down. I don't mind putting a few extra rounds into a plane to take it down at all. But it is cool to see how much damage you are actually doing in the process. It adds to the immersion of "desperation due to damage" immesurably and the Intermediate DM seems to do the best job of that so far.

It also offers a tactical advantage that the real pilots had too. If I see one of my squadron mates has damaged an enemy aircraft , I'm much more likely to try and put a few more finishing shots into it to take it out of the fight than start on yet another one. I can also see by the damage on a friends plane if I need to break off my current target and try to save them by chasing off their antagonist. Who knows, the guy I save might just be the one who acts as a witness to confirm my latest claim.

Hellshade

Just curious then if it's possible to make a hybrid of Hardcore and Intermediate, which would be the Hardcore DM, however it would use the damage effects % of Intermediate so more planes would show more damage before being shot down.

Hellshade S!

Please read my posts which should say that IMHO,the Hardcore , Normal anf Intermediate DMs do not necessarily SHOW the damage any differently. The differences are how soon the EA go down.

It is the Threshold values which cause the damage to be shown

Try the xdp files I refer to in your Hardcore DM and you will see the damage manifested when you fly against those planes in QC.

My earlier thread shows a step by step guide on how to make more damage effects for any plane. in QC It works whichever DM you want to use

HTH

I use the hardcore DM and 120% realism and really see no problem with it. It forces you to hone your piloting and gunnery skills to a much greater degree and in turn produces more favorable results. With the hardcore DM the aircraft don't come apart so readily unless the rounds fired hit in the right places, such is the case with the unfortunate Albatros in the screenshot. I like it. I don't usually fly the SE5 but am growing quite fond of it. Great gun platform! I just wish there were two Vickers instead of one!

CJ

Hardcore. And as Cameljockey says.