Hello,

I've just purchased sf2:e after a few years away from flight simming and I came up with a couple of questions for you.

After having a look at the screenshot thread I can't stop thinking about starting missions in the hangar/parking instead of the runway.

Is there a tweak in order to have the default starting position inside an hangar for the vanilla sf2:e ?

Is there any other realism tweak you would suggest?

Also I noticed fs2:e is quite limited in terms of terrain as the area is just a big square of ground terrain. What terrain mod / suggestion would you recommend me / watch out for?

And I was also wondering what is the benefict of installing a new terrain; I mean would the terrain come with new campaigns for that specific area otherwise I would see the new terrain being limitied to the usage in quickly generated single missions :?

Thanks

L

Edited by luckyluca

Hello,

I've just purchased sf2:e after a few years away from flight simming and I came up with a couple of questions for you.

After having a look at the screenshot thread I can't stop thinking about starting missions in the hangar/parking instead of the runway.

Is there a tweak in order to have the default starting position inside an hangar for the vanilla sf2:e ?

Also I noticed fs2:e is quite limited in terms of terrain as the area is just a big square of ground terrain. What terrain mod / suggestion would you recommend me / watch out for?

And I was also wondering what is the benefict of installing a new terrain; I mean would the terrain come with new campaigns for that specific area otherwise I would see the new terrain being limitied to the usage in quickly generated single missions :?

Thanks

L

I for one would love the 'option' to taxi out prior to take-off, but I think the only way to get that now is to use a mission builder and place your aircraft on the ramp or in a hanger.....which I dont think is what you've got in mind....me neither :rolleyes:

As for the scenery, I personally have the Black Sea Terrain, Southern California, and American Northwest(Oh ya, and the Range).........the only time I fly the stock terrain is in campaigns. All of these terrains are much more entertaining to fly in than the flat pancake also known as Duetchland :wink: I am still using the original woe but I think all these terrains are useable in the new series??? As for campaigns with these sceneries, there are a few to choose from, none of which I have tried.

Hello,

Thanks

L

Look for the 4 Seasons mod for WOE (in the downloads section here). It's a great enhancment of the stock terrain, and I think it should work with SF2E. CA_Stary is also working on a great update of it that will definitely be SF2E compatible, but I'm not sure when that's due out...

Thanks I'll check it out. Perhaps you're able to help me out here:

basically I'm a little confused about what to do with newly downloaded terrains and aircrafts. Unless mistaken they wouldn't show up in existing campaings and would only be available in generated single player missions right?

since I like flying campaigns, would it make sense to edit the current campaigns in order to include new aircrafts / terrains?

...I guess terrains could come with accompaigning campaigns then :)

Thanks

Luca

Look for the 4 Seasons mod for WOE (in the downloads section here). It's a great enhancment of the stock terrain, and I think it should work with SF2E. CA_Stary is also working on a great update of it that will definitely be SF2E compatible, but I'm not sure when that's due out...

Campaigns are designed to be used with a specific terrain and that terrain only. However, some modders have made campaigns for the new terrains. Just look in the campaign section of the downloads page. They should say what terrain they use and where to get it.

There are alot of campaigns for new terrains. Not all may work without significant tweaking in SF2E though but a short list:

Several WW2 maps and campaigns

Korea with a campaign

Taiwan with campaign

Madagascar and a campaign

Berring straits with 2 campaigns

Cuba/Florida (OTC) a cuban missile crisis terrain

Iraq with desert storm and an old IRaq/Iran war campaign

Plus numerous campaigns at different time periods for the stock europe and vietnam/desert terrains if you have SF2 or SF2V

Thanks,

I've also got hold of SF2 and SF2:v and installed them in the order as suggested: sf2 + sf2:v + sf2:e + jun 2009 patch all in the same folder structure.

I'm now starting to understand the structure a bit better, however I've got a question about campaigns now:

How come the stock european campaigns are available when firing up the vietnam executable?

Are the executables exactly the same except they point to different setting folders (i.e. saveGames/thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2 Europe/ vs saveGames/thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam/ )

If so why the need for three separate exe files?

Thanks for claryfing this to me :)

L

There are alot of campaigns for new terrains. Not all may work without significant tweaking in SF2E though but a short list:

Several WW2 maps and campaigns

Korea with a campaign

Taiwan with campaign

Madagascar and a campaign

Berring straits with 2 campaigns

Cuba/Florida (OTC) a cuban missile crisis terrain

Iraq with desert storm and an old IRaq/Iran war campaign

Plus numerous campaigns at different time periods for the stock europe and vietnam/desert terrains if you have SF2 or SF2V

Just in case somebody makes separate installs.

As a side effect, they use 3 different Save Games folder, so 3 separate mod-pack setups can be created without extra ini edits.

Thanks for claryfing this to me :)

L

Ive a merged install like you but I run all 3 exe files to run the games separately - so they can each have separate Mods in them and the correct aircraft.

When you run one of the exes for the first time it will create a new folder structure in your Mod folders specifically for that game.