Sign in to follow this  
Pappa Goat

WOV: VietnamSEA Tile Repaint v1.0

Hi all,

I haven't installed it yet, but looking at the picture the VietnamSEA Tile Repaint v1.0 seems to show mostly corn fields and orchards, not say paddies, irrigation and grazing lands. It looks oddly similar to the terrain from the European theater of CFS. I don't mean to offend the developer, but does anyone have any further reports or comments on how this terrain looks for S.E. Asia?

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5300

This tileset was downloaded over 4000 times. Try it and see if you like it. If not, just delete the files, it's pretty much as simple as that.

FC

Hi all,

I haven't installed it yet, but looking at the picture the VietnamSEA Tile Repaint v1.0 seems to show mostly corn fields and orchards, not say paddies, irrigation and grazing lands. It looks oddly similar to the terrain from the European theater of CFS. I don't mean to offend the developer, but does anyone have any further reports or comments on how this terrain looks for S.E. Asia?

Combine it with the "Green Hell 2" mod (by CA Stary), and you'll have paddies and tons of trees, on top of Photo-realistic terrain.

'

Hi all,

this is so far the better repaint avaible for this series, and those were made with actual satelite photos, go to google earth and you'll see vietnam is almost it.

also get this:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=7095

IMO, it has nothing to do with Europe, this is a tropical countrie, and some times looks like my countrie , wich i know very well.

Brain32's ground textures are the best ones available for the series. Period.

Try it. With Green Hell 2. You'll never revert to stock terrain tileset anymore, trust me :ok:

Thx for the kind words guys :smile:

Anyway just to clarify where are the textures from:

VietnamSEA:

Southern Vietnam, area around Ho-Chi-Min city, city textures are actually exactly Ho-Chi-Min city :)

GermanyCE:

I would say central Germany, closer big cities are Koln on the west and Bonn in the south west

ANWGreen:

OK I "cheated" on this one I think it was Colorado or even Utah lol

DBS:

Some Alaska and islands in the Bering Straits

Korea:

South Korea mostly...

Brain32's ground textures are the best ones available for the series. Period.

Try it. With Green Hell 2. You'll never revert to stock terrain tileset anymore, trust me :ok:

I do confirm. There is no better 'Nam.

Thx againStary and Brain!

i made a quick color adjustment on Brian32's work and you should see it this week,

see picture in below link,

http://bbs.dof.cn/index.php?showtopic=9098...st&p=907188

no offence to Brian32's original one, it is absolutely good. but i feel it is very blue-ish and kind of undersaturated...

Edited by orsin

but i feel it is very blue-ish and kind of undersaturated...

:blink: Blu-ish man?

anyway yours is looking good too.

Edited by Silverbolt

i made a quick color adjustment on Brian32's work and you should see it this week,

see picture in below link,

http://bbs.dof.cn/index.php?showtopic=9098...st&p=907188

no offence to Brian32's original one, it is absolutely good. but i feel it is very blue-ish and kind of undersaturated...

Interesting. Once I was thinking about simple saturation, color correction of the whole Brain's package for use with Darwin rebuild, and other terrains using the same tileset.

But repeating self, for Vietnam terrain this unsaturated set is perfect!

I'm glad this post came up, as it gives me yet another opportunity to express my thanks and appreciation! I absolutely cannot give Stary and Brain32 enough credit and praise for this mod...time and time again I admire the beauty of this scenery and am thankful for this update. And even on top of buying both YAP1 and YAP2, this terrain still shines as best in class. These updates literally changed the entire game for me and brought me a greater sense of immersion and realism over Vietnam. Thanks again guys, I am truly grateful for your efforts, as honestly you have created for me one of the greatest WOV mods EVER....!!! :notworthy:

Blu-ish man?

anyway yours is looking good too.

ya, it is blue-ish. I think initially when Brian32 obtained the satellite pics, it was already affected by the color of atmosphere as it was taken at heights. It is a very good try by the time of release as TK did not provide a good way to replicate the color of atmosphere then.

But then we see the Farterraineffect.fx shader that does the effect since WOI, and then the SF2 series. From my observation, my adjusted version looks yellow when you look straight down, but if you look at those at distance, those near the horizon, they are still blue-ish as they should be.(look at the top part of below picture, it starts to get blue as the distance grows, the only drawback i found is the blue sea turns greenish and even black, like what you see in JetThunder...)

The adjustment make Stary's Greenhell 2 looks quite weird, as the color of trees and the ground looks no more similar. I will provide color-adjusted tree/Building TGAs as well, but probably only the 1x/2x mixed version.

above is just a comparison. not the final effect.

It is already done, I will upload it tonight and you guys can try and comment by then.

Edited by orsin

ya, it is blue-ish. I think initially when Brian32 obtained the satellite pics, it was already affected by the color of atmosphere as it was taken at heights.

Yes this is exactly it, great terrain, but yes, desaturated. I don't know about modding but I know about optics. Satellite imagery is altered by season, time of day, weather, climate activity, etc etc etc... all which impact the light quality. For example, go on Google Earth and look at the Korean Peninsular, which has been highly mapped, but every stretch of imagery is different to the next, you can also see snow covered sections next to plush green wet season sections next to dryer hot season sections... this would be mere so for South East Asia, where provincial differences between wet and hot seasons are huge. So in these tiles you get the odd effect ofg plush jungle that ends right next to very 'blue' unsaturated tiles that look in the sim like peak hot season on a hazy day.

To correct this I suggest looking at images and photography from the ground from Vietnam, throughout the regions, terrain types and seasoosn to get a proper feel of the tonal range you should be aiming for. I will look forwards to seeing that work. If anything I'd say the earth should have a mostly red hue for many lowland regions.

Edited by Pappa Goat

I aim all my PR textures at the same season, often it's same day and everything. Vietnam is winter .

As for correting and messing with the colours much, I don't think you will see much of that from me as for me making too much such changes gives cartoonish look to the terrain and that is one of the things that make default terrain not so good for me, other is obviously really obsolete tile resolution. I mean 256x256? Too much 90's style lol :biggrin:

Also I see you understand the problematics of the satellite imagery but there's more to that, even time of day is involved as atmospheric conditions change. Also another problem is in-game look, what kind of lighting, fogging and other atmospheric conditions will the game create ;)

I can however unconditionally agree with you one one thing, I'm looking forward to see somebody adjust for all that, however I don't see it coming soon to put it mildly lol

Until then I always aim to please myself(lol) however it seems my standards are high enough for other people to like my work and that's great. I also approve and encourage others to improve what I have done.

I would also love to see more people working on custom tilesets because we only have me and Stary actively working on such things. Maybe I should make a tutorial on how to do it easily? ...hmmm

I would also love to see more people working on custom tilesets because we only have me and Stary actively working on such things. Maybe I should make a tutorial on how to do it easily? ...hmmm

Let me add my thanks to Brain32 & Stary for their custom tileset work. I, for one, would certainly appreciate a tile creation tutorial. As you know I am working up a tileset for Iceland terrain, but it is slow, slow work.

Thanks guys,

Baltika

not until i see those I decided to change the color..

http://www.ccpoto.com/viewthread.php?tid=3215

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_482c99bd0100b8x2.html

That is Vietnam.

I think the good and the bad of the blue look is 50/50. When you fly low you always want to see the true color of the ground. When you fly high you need it to be blue.

I do a lot of attack at low as there are way too many SAMs in my own installation. And so I wanted it to be yellow or green.

Edited by orsin

I would also love to see more people working on custom tilesets because we only have me and Stary actively working on such things.

D'oh!

I must add the grandfather of SFP1 tiling, Master Deuces! :clapping:

D'oh!

I must add the grandfather of SFP1 tiling, Master Deuces! :clapping:

Grandfather? After celebrating 22nd anniversery of my 30th birthday last month, you just made me feel older. :biggrin:

.....and being any kind of a father has not been proven... legally.

Grandfather? After celebrating 22nd anniversery of my 30th birthday last month, you just made me feel older. :biggrin:

well, then you are the young one leading the "Tiling" mafia...

:biggrin::good:

well, then you are the young one leading the "Tiling" mafia...

I lead none and follow less. :no:

If 52 is the young one, we need an AARP mafia :biggrin:

But back on topic. Brain and Stary took on and accomplished quite a feat with their re-tile and GH2. The challenge of using Sat. images of the area is no small one. You have to keep in mind that he basically had to take samplings of an area or two or three and tile a country. This is a most difficult task since there can be so much diversity across such a large area. Couple that with finding samplings that avoid showing the 35+year change in the area and you can imagine how hard it can be. Are the colors off? Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on what area you're comparing it to as it relates to his samplings area. Simply put, it's a miles ahead of the box version.

Then Stary had to play Johnny Appleseed and Bob Villa in the area. Until you've done or tried this, it's impossible to comprehend the magnitude of this mod.

All I can say is job well done guys and, speaking from experience, I can appreciate the amount of work that went on behind the curtain.

Edited by Deuces

sure it is simply that hard... seeing only a few people doing the terrain and it is easy to conclude that it is very hard. not to mention the tool that we are using to build terrains are full of bugs. It feels harder than running in a shoe that has needles in it....

Even adjusting the tiles are hard. When i started the color adjustment I found almost no software in my hand can handle the transparent part of TGAs well. and I cannot afford to by a photoshop just for the purpose. Eventually when I figured out how to extract the colors out of the transparent area and rebuild the TGA after process it is already a week since I started. And the process to complete this task is extremely complicated, that I have to use robot program to repeat the process for each picture. :)