Sign in to follow this  
Launchbury

Beer thread!

Tried to order some via internet? Nowadays, almost everything can be bought that way.

Hadn't really thought about it actually. But if people can get drugs from the net, then why not beer?

Fortunately my local store is always well-equipped with bottles of Schlenkerla, so I won't go thirsty when playing OFF. :biggrin:

Schlenkerla? In Finland??? I wouldn't even know where I could get it here in our capital?

But that's logical somehow - in the wilderness, everything concentrates on a much smaller

area: the local store.

Edited by Olham

I go on a trip for a few days and when I come back I find this holy thread buried deep in the bowels of forum. For shame, gentlemen, for shame.

you can't beat Stella act a twat...

British_eh: Oldham, the "Directors Bitter" is brewed by the Courage Brewery and I had one not two months ago.

My English brother, recommended it when we were out for a few. Newcastle Brown Ale, is a great classic.

My favorite, brewed on the Praries of Canada, actually Calgary, is Old Rock - Traditional Ale.

Perhaps not quite so sweet as NBA, but smooth and tasty.

Sorry, no German wheat beers, or American. It has to have a bit of flavour!

Sorry saw this only now, British_eh - yes, Courage is right. I think it's one of those major companies, but their

"Director's Bitter" was good, wasn't it?

And I never liked wheat beers (Weizenbier), too. Too fizzy, sourish, skinny stuff.

And I never liked wheat beers (Weizenbier), too. Too fizzy, sourish, skinny stuff.

Funny. Most wheat beers to me taste just like bubblegum, which I normally don't want in a beer but it's funny and not unpleasant once in a while.

HOWEVER, those opaque, cloudy, white types of wheat beer are just NASTY. I figure the folks who make them are laughing up their sleeves all the way to the bank, in the same way as Cajun cooks laugh over "Cajun blackened" seafood. Folks who think it faddish and chic will consume HORRIFIC stuff, just to be seen as part of the "in" crowd. Hence, today's massive sales of such utter horsepiss as merlot and chardonnay, or such abortions as "Cajun blackened" seafood.

IOW, as we say around here, it's "stuff you sell to the yankee tourists", meaning stuff that was supposed to have been way better but you somehow ruined in preparation. But because your "exotic" quisine/beverages/whatever is temporarily in vogue where they live, and they don't know diddley about your quisine/beverages/whatever because they're just doing it to be hip, you can dump all your garbage on them for totally immoral profits, AND THEY'LL ORDER SECONDS!! :rofl: . Despite the immoratily, I somehow fail to lose any sleep over such things :dntknw: .

Bullet, not only the American tourists.

I once found a horde of Japanese tourists in a big German beer cellar. I was only there for

a couple of Andechser beers to finish me off for that eve. Now they came asking me things

which meant to be German, but sounded Japanese to me. So they finally showed me the

questions in their German language booklets. Those where comic stories with halfbaked

German phrases like "Entschuldigung - Ich möchte bitte Haxen mit Sauerkraut"

Knowing the Japanese kitchen, I told them, they wouldn't like that sort of food. But they had

to have it German style. With bravery, they chewed their way through it and smiled and said,

they liked it very much. When they showed some effect from the beer (I had ordered the

strongest stuff for them to make it easier), they all wanted a photograph with me.

So there must be some 32 photographs of me, somewhere in Japan.

Dark stuff. Porters and stouts. I hold it to the light, and if I can see thru it, then I put it back........

Ahh wheat, the staff of life

Gently swaying in the breeze

Foundation of the the heartiest bread to the daintest pastries

And a cloudy brew that'll enrapture the cultured palette

And to be besmerched by BARLEY!!!

...horse food, fit for the trouth I tell you!!! :rofl:

OK, OK, OK, simmer down, :tomato: form a line, :tomato2: you'll all get a shot, :tomato: keep it clean now, :tomato2:

Aw, let's all just have a cold one :biggrin:

Dark stuff. Porters and stouts. I hold it to the light, and if I can see thru it, then I put it back........

Amen to that. A good beer should be a meal in itself, and be chewable.

That said, I will drink an authentic 1790-1810ish IPA. You can see through those, but they're every bit as macho as a contemporary porter.

Edited by Bullethead