Sign in to follow this  
SFP1Ace

OFF vs. RoF differences

So I narrowed my choice down to OFF and RoF. I've also done some reading on the subject so please, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. RoF is more eye candy, better DM and higher system requirements

2. OFF has much better campaign and overall immersion

3. OFF offers more planes to fly (at the moment, might change in the future, right?)

4. OFF is cheaper investment (30 bucks plus MCFS3 5$ from ebay), and I would have to pay extra for any additional flyyables for RoF

5. If my internet connection (whether ISP's fault or my hardware) dies, I won't be able to start RoF?

So coz eyecandy is important to me, but immersion even more so, I'm leaning towards OFF :biggrin:

But if someone could also clarify these issues for me:

6. Is OFF's campaign dynamic, semi-dynamic, or static?

7. If I buy phase 3 now, will I have to pay again for phase 4?

8. Any issues running OFF under Windows 7?

9. Will I be able to get constant 30 or more FPS on max settings on my rig? (E8500 oc to 4.4GHz, 4GB RAM plus Radeon 4890)

Thanks

Michal

SFP1Ace,

You seem to have answered your own question. You would prefer a better immersion as opposed to eye candy. You are in the right place. Don't get me wrong...OFF graphics are bloody great. There's plenty of good eye candy here.

In answer to your questions...

6. Off's campaign is fully dynamic. You will be assigned new aircraft on occasions, you will be ordered to fly to your new aerodrome after a "push" moves the front lines or to back up areas where the enemy are concentrating their forces in preparation for a push. The front lines move.

I really can't answer the rest of the questions sufficiently well, as I'm not able.

I won't go into an OFF Vs RoF battle...no-one here will, or should. This forum is for OFF users. Sure, you can ask us questions on OFF as you wish, but it would be nicer to not compare the two, as no-one here wants to "bash" RoF or promote it.

So I narrowed my choice down to OFF and RoF. I've also done some reading on the subject so please, correct me if I'm wrong:

3. OFF offers more planes to fly (at the moment, might change in the future, right?)

4. OFF is cheaper investment (30 bucks plus MCFS3 5$ from ebay), and I would have to pay extra for any additional flyyables for RoF

5. If my internet connection (whether ISP's fault or my hardware) dies, I won't be able to start RoF?

So coz eyecandy is important to me, but immersion even more so, I'm leaning towards OFF :biggrin:

9. Will I be able to get constant 30 or more FPS on max settings on my rig? (E8500 oc to 4.4GHz, 4GB RAM plus Radeon 4890)

Thanks

Michal

Hi Ace,

I'll help here, and try to be as unbiased as possible.

1. A: Not just eye candy, there is more to RoF, and the DM has a lot of damage to it.

2. A: OFF is a Campaign based Simulation. It's sole purpose was to mimic WWI as close as possible, with room to grow. It's chocked full of history, action, atmosphere, and everything else we could fit into the package to give the user the best look of what WWI could have been like in the air.

3: A: Yes, at present, 35 (?), and more to come in the future. All planes in OFF are flyable, even the 2-seaters. Plus you can fly a campaign and career as a 2-Seater pilot.

4: A: Cheaper depends on what cheaper means. More value, less price, less investment? Refer to the respective websites to learn what you get for your money. Also consider SUPPORT..

5. A: Correct. But apparently, RoF will run without internet once started. Check with RoF's staff/forum for more info.

6. A: TOTALLY DYNAMIC. Every mission is a whole new experience, every career is different, every day is different. BUT, we left the end results the same, Germany still looses. No sense in changing history. We're not Gods.

7. A: Yes, but Phase 4 is a long way from now. And we hope with an all new look. But Phase 3 will keep you wrapped up for many months, maybe years to come. If you like RB3D, get ready for your old favorite on some very serious steriods.

8. A: We're not sure. Since Win7 is not offical, we can't say officially. Some have tested it on the Beta of Win7 with success. So we'll consider it good for now. When M$ releases the new O/S for public use, then we'll see.

9. You should... but make sure all drivers are up to date, and tweak the settings as per the 'Tips and Tricks' thread in the Knowledge Base for more help. Also, you can adjust the sliders to fit the use. Even toned down, OFF still looks fantastic! So don't think for a second that if you set the details for 'medium' it will loose face... hell no... it's as awesome at 2 as it is at 5.

I hope that helps...

OvS

...I won't go into an OFF Vs RoF battle...no-one here will, or should. This forum is for OFF users. Sure, you can ask us questions on OFF as you wish, but it would be nicer to not compare the two, as no-one here wants to "bash" RoF or promote it.

And that's completely reasonable, thank you for you input :yes:

Thanks

Michal

I can say that we are testing on Win7 and OFF runs fine.

WM

Thanks OvS, that's a very elaborate and helpful answer! If I needed a push to drop into OFF, you've just gave me one :D And I admit I was biased towards OFF from the beginning, just wanted to get some things clarified first :D. Thanks again!

EDIT: That's just great WM! I'm running W7 RC at the moment, but I already preordered Home Premium ^-^

Edited by SFP1Ace

I agree with Check Six. No point in starting a "them vs us" flamewar. However I can say that, especially with the latest 1.32 superpatch, OFF has raised it's bar on quality and immersion to amazing new heights. The interface is more immersive and the options on how you want to fly range from "arcade" to hardcore "Dead is Dead". No matter what your skill level or play style you can configure OFF to support it. As for starting aircraft, OFF has 39 to begin with (all flyable in Quick Combat and in the Dynamic Campaign) and Winder and Crew are promising an add-on plane pak in the near future. So between OFF and CFS3, you are essentially paying less than $1 per plane and getting a free, HUGE historically accurate (including weather, moving front lines, 3,200+ paint jobs, missions, etc) dynamic campaign. I can also attest to the support of OFF from OBD as being the best I have ever seen in any game. Seriously.

Yes, when P4 finally ships you will need to pay for that. I imagine that will be awhile though. The fact that they keep giving such excellent support to P3, while working on an add-on pak while developing P4 should tell you something about their dedication to creating the best WWI flight sim experience available today.

Check out the P3 pre-view movies. Check out the screen shots and talk to the folks around here about their experiences with OFF. Then do the same over at RoF forums regarding that flight sim. They are the best people to talk to regarding RoF and we are your best resource for Over Flanders Fields. I own them both and for my own personal tastes, I found OFF gives me the best experience. Check both sides, ask around and decide for yourself though. I hope you'll join us here at the OFF BHaH forums, but I wish you the best of luck no matter which sim you feel will best serve your needs. All I can add is that if "Immersion" is one of your top priority, OFF BHaH has it in spades.

Hellshade

Thanks Hellshade.

And some explanation: it wasn't my intent to start any flamewars, I swear! I just now realised what a dumb thing it was to name the topic in the X vs Y style, mea culpa! But that's just so me, I write first, think later, sorry guys (and gals)...

Thanks Hellshade.

And some explanation: it wasn't my intent to start any flamewars, I swear! I just now realised what a dumb thing it was to name the topic in the X vs Y style, mea culpa! But that's just so me, I write first, think later, sorry guys (and gals)...

Easy thing to do, don't worry. As you can see your question was understood as intended and our fine lads answered you very respectfully. I might add a reason to choose OFF is this wonderful forum itself. I have gained so much for being a member. Information about OFF, WWI history, beer, making arrowheads, computers and gear, and then there's the commaradarie. Do yourself a favor join us now and maybe get another sim in the future. :wink:

Edited by Rickitycrate

(E8500 oc to 4.4GHz, 4GB RAM plus Radeon 4890)

I'm running E8500 (stock) 4Gb DDR2800 8800GTX and this is an example of framerates with one plane in the air. It usually runs in the 40-60fps area, even in a large furball. Your rig should run like a cat with it's tail on fire.

Thanks Hellshade.

I didn't think for one moment that you were trying to start one. You were just asking an honest question about comparing the two. No worries at all. I just figured you can get all of your OFF facts & impressions here and your RoF facts & impressions there. Best for everyone.

Hellshade

So many replies in such a short time, wow! Me thinks that 'support' and 'community' is something meaningful here. Anyways I've just bought this game, hoping it's gonna be the best 28£ spent in a while :) Now just get that licensing information and purchase CF3 ^_^

EDIT: OK, CFS3 is on the way as well, hee hee

Edited by SFP1Ace

So many replies in such a short time, wow! Me thinks that 'support' and 'community' is something meaningful here. Anyways I've just bought this game, hoping it's gonna be the best 28£ spent in a while :) Now just get that licensing information and purchase CF3 ^_^

You will only need the CFS3 disk and the OFF DVD when it arrives - do not worry about the Licensing info from Avangate.

WM

I must say that this is one of the best forums I have been on, and I am a mod on three others. The guys are very good at answering any question, no matter how newbie the questioner is (often myself), and that is a sign of a good forum. There have been no serious 'flame wars' and those that have smouldered have been extinguished instantly by the mods.

The overall impression is a bunch of guys from all over the world who enjoy playing OFF and telling others of their experiences. This is a 'game' that you could possibly play for ever. I started with a single squadron and have so far made it to August 1915 so I have a long way to go to the end of the war, and then I will start again with a different squadron.... etc. I also have other squadrons that I have started from the beginning but hate their aircraft so much that I have stopped for a while.

Bristol Scouts are a disaster :nono:

30 fps??? damn,,with that rig you will probably see 60+

Depends on your settings. My rig gives me pretty consistent 30-40, sometimes in the 20s with many planes in the air, but I've got everything maxed out, except the recommended settings of 4 for landscape and the other one (forget the name atm) supersampling probably kills me by 10fps, but its so smooth..

If I turned down AA, that might free up some FPS as well, but there's really no need IMO.

I have both sims, and like them both. However, OFF is the one I play the most :yes:

Perhaps that says something without saying anything.

I had many similar questions when I was thinking of buying OFF, and already had the other ww1 which shall not be named (lol). The pilots here are VERY helpful, and the Devs are seemingly always around to assist with problems (and flight questions. see my recent post on the camel spinning dilemma. Not a game issue, but a pilots how do I live question...so much great feedback by devs and forumers...just wow!).

I wont go into my experience with another ww1 sim which shall not be named (that NEVER gets old! lol), as it's very frustrating.

Personally, tho, all things considered and if finances are available, both flight sims are great and worth having.

HTH

Broadside

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

Ok, so now the only thing left for me is to patiently wait for both CFS3 and OFF to arrive :D. By the way, any suggestion for a squadron, plane to start with? I'd prefer something easy to fly, to smoothen transition from jet flying ;)

The Strutter is about as forgiving as they come. Plus you can fight and bomb with it Ace.

Cheers!

Lou

waiting is the worst part!

amazon had my cfs3 here in a couple of days. OFF took about 7 days IIRC. Just read the forums, take notes (cause it's a lot to remember), and also, when you do get OFF, follow the instructions for setup in the FAQ, it makes things like graphics, controls, etc, pretty seamless.

First plane to fly?

SE5a

very stable, fun to fly, will do most of what you want it to do.

Oh sure BuB, if you want to start him at the END of the War. :biggrin:

But I agree, the SE5a is an excellent choice.

Cheers!

Lou

Cheers, Lou!

I'll give the strutter a chance then!

Ok, so now the only thing left for me is to patiently wait for both CFS3 and OFF to arrive :D. By the way, any suggestion for a squadron, plane to start with? I'd prefer something easy to fly, to smoothen transition from jet flying ;)

Welcome aboard! New guy buys the drinks! :drinks_drunk:

Now, as to easy..... Surviving in OFF ain't easy. No matter what you do, you're still gonna die a lot. So just accept that and fly something you think is interesting, so you can die smiling :biggrin: .

Compared to jets, pretty much all WW1 planes are easy to fly. Kick the tires, like the fires, and off you go. I never even look at my instruments :no: . I'd avoid the Eindecker and DH2 to start with, both of which have some rather nasty habits, but most of the others are pretty docile unless you really abuse them. I'd also avoid the Spads until you've gotten your eye tuned for the WW1 environment, because you have to fly them completely differently than the others.

The real question is how, much of a challenge you want in combat? I assume you're a fairly experienced sim pilot, so you should do pretty well (as in living long enough to get annoyed when you die) in just about fighter. The newer the plane is at the time you pick to fly it, the easier it will be, so you can increase your challenge by flying an older plane against newer enemies. 2-seaters (except the Brisfit) are more challenging than fighters to survive in, but being in a bomber squadron isn't fun for everybody. So my advice there is, just pick your favorite plane.

Picking a squadron is more complicated. Besides the airplane it flies, you also need to see where its base is at any given time. The level of enemy air activity is historically tied to the locations of the major land battles going on at the time. Verdun is pretty hot in early 1916 but tapers off. Flanders is hot in the spring and fall of 1917 but dull in between, and nothing much happens on the Marne before early 1918. If you're in a hot zone, you'll usually see a fight every sortie, but in a cold area you might go several missions without contact.

Besides the above, squadrons have a quality rating. I recommend flying only for "good" squadrons, at least to start with. I find that "elite" squadrons steal all the kills and "poor" squadrons either run away or die in droves, but "good" is a nice balance between the extremes. Note, however, that squadron quality can change over time, so it's a good idea to check your potential squadron for that by scrolling the date forward from when you want to start. Don't go more than a month or 2 ahead, though--you won't live long enough to worry beyond that :biggrin: .

Anyway, the thing is, pick your side and plane, and whether you want to be in a hot or cold sector. Then look at the squadrons in that place and time who fly that plane, and pick one that will stay "good" for a couple of months.

...RoF is more eye candy,...

At first I thought so too, but after pushing the Scenery Detail, and Cloud Resolution, sliders all the way up [in Workshops] the OFF world is every bit as rich...and the PC system you describe won't even have to breath hard to do it.