Sign in to follow this  
outfctrl

Thinking of Buying Over Flanders Field

And don't forget to add the castor oil sprinkler to the fan to simulate those rotary engines. Better get some diapers too, when you're at it. :grin:

And don't forget to add the castor oil sprinkler to the fan to simulate those rotary engines. Better get some diapers too, when you're at it. grin.gif

What you really need there is an oil lamp that burns castor oil, set just upwind of the fan. Set the lamp's mixture pretty rich so most of the oil burns but not all of it, resulting in a heavy aroma of burnt castor oil with enough unburnt building up over time to burn your eyes after a while.

NOTE: It's to do all this outside, so as not to get water and oil all over your carpet, drapes, etc. Power everything off an unmuffled gasoline emergency generator that hasn't been run in a month or two, so the partially gunked carburator makes the automatic choke open in close every few seconds, var-ROOMpoppoppop var-ROOMpoppoppop. Position the generator between the fan and your monitor, so you get the benefit of the exhaust and the fan noise doesn't muffle the generator. It's OK to set your in-game engine sound to zero if you do this :).

I must say I was really hesitant to delve into OFF and make this purchase as I had a real headache with CFS3 and shelved it soon after flying a few hours (moved to IL2 the very next day). I purchased FE recently and started to enjoy the whole WW1 experience but found the immersion factor to be a bit lacking (still fun for a quick dogfight though). I started reading, watching docs and even a couple of hollywood movies on WW1 aviation and found myself fascinated with how these early aviators and planes developed. That being said... I finally decided to purchase OFF as the summer special ads were all over SIMHQ and CA and haven't let go of my HOTAS yet! It takes a little patience and a lot of tweaking (still working on my X52 profile and difficulty levels). The immersion factor is unparalleled and the flight models are a real challenge. The best part is the helpful gents that hang out here and the amount of info here to help you on your way. The purchase of CFS3 finally has some value. All you need is a little patience and a lot of practice and you won't be disappointed. Quite simply the best experience in a SIM I have had to date on a PC.

1.) THIS IS NO GAME!

2.) OFF will give you the best possible immersion on WW1 air combat.

3.) OFF can turn your old (and not very attractive CFS3) into a gold bar.

4.) If I was Mickeysoft, I would offer them devs a million for all the creation, and start a big sale of this sim.

5.) I'm afraid, the devs wouldn't sell it. No, I'm not afraid - I'm glad!!!

6.) I must go back to my Halberstadt - we have another sortie in a few minutes!

I must say I was really hesitant to delve into OFF and make this purchase as I had a real headache with CFS3 and shelved it soon after flying a few hours (moved to IL2 the very next day). I purchased FE recently and started to enjoy the whole WW1 experience but found the immersion factor to be a bit lacking (still fun for a quick dogfight though). I started reading, watching docs and even a couple of hollywood movies on WW1 aviation and found myself fascinated with how these early aviators and planes developed. That being said... I finally decided to purchase OFF as the summer special ads were all over SIMHQ and CA and haven't let go of my HOTAS yet! It takes a little patience and a lot of tweaking (still working on my X52 profile and difficulty levels). The immersion factor is unparalleled and the flight models are a real challenge. The best part is the helpful gents that hang out here and the amount of info here to help you on your way. The purchase of CFS3 finally has some value. All you need is a little patience and a lot of practice and you won't be disappointed. Quite simply the best experience in a SIM I have had to date on a PC.

That sums it up pretty well Hellman

OFF is not a business venture, thus there are very few compromises

OFF is a labor of love, short on cash, but long on heart

Devs here have done a marvelous job and deserve to be knighted for their achievemnts

Sir Shred?

:worship:

Naaaahhh

Edited by shredward

Be2c has different reported speeds. Also 90mhp from several sources.

with RAF 1a 90 hp, Vee engine

Be2b was 72 I think @6500ft (70HP Renault engine).

"OFF is not a business venture, thus there are very few compromises

OFF is a labor of love, short on cash, but long on heart

Devs here have done a marvelous job and deserve to be knighted for their achievemnts"

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I now perceive the key advantage that this gives OBD when working on OFF - either now or for the much anticipated Phase 4.

We've probably all been following the travails of TheOtherSim in its painful birth into the market, and it strikes me that because NeoQB had to pay a team of developers over a period of time and therefore incurred (presumably) considerable costs and overheads prior to making a bean out of their product, they ended up cutting corners - some might say far too many corners - in the rush to start recouping any money. The result appears to have been a semi-finished product driven exclusively by fiscal demands, and apparently this has led to a large number of disappointed and unhappy punters who feel that the product is simply not good enough in terms of what was promised (or at least, heavily implied) in the pre-release hype.

And this is where OBD have a key advantage. We all know that Shred, Pol, Winder and the other guys are doing this primarily because they wanted to produce a top class WWI sim - hence the long gestation via P1, P2 and one could say P3 - that will undoubtedly come to fruition in P4 (or perhaps P5!), but they didn't need to rush OFF to market in order to pacify backers or accountants (big assumption, perhaps).

The result of this, if I've interpreted the circumstances correctly, is that OFF is a far more polished product, and, therefore, one that's rather more likely to please and inspire loyalty. In addition to this, we all know that OBD have rather more well developed PR skills than the people at NeoQB - although I'm sure that language barriers don't particularly help - and their almost constant presence on CA, plus their openness to suggestions for changes and improvements is in stark contrast to the situation with TheOtherSim, where I sense an almost daily increase in frustration amongst the user base, as the perception of an unfinished item foisted upon an unsuspecting market is apparently compounded by indignation and disappointment that the manufactucters simply aren't listening, or if they are, they're not moving far enough and fast enough to satisfy the paying punters.

That unhappy situation has, however, had one silver lining. The hype that surrounded/preceded TheOtherSim did at least raise the profile of WWI flight sims, and it's clear that many gamers have bought a copy of the game. As they say, a rising tide lifts all ships, and OFF seems to have benefitted by being highlighted as a very viable alternative for frustrated buyers, and I'd be willing to bet a small amount of someone else's money that OBD have recently seen a rise in sales of OFF:BH&H.

Does anyone think that the above is a fair summary? I'm trying to be impartial over this whole issue.

Does anyone think that the above is a fair summary? I'm trying to be impartial over this whole issue.

I'll second that.

Sir Shred?

worship.gif

Naaaahhh

Oh come now Shred, it's the perfect analogy!

Winder would be King Arthur of course

You'd be Sir Shred-a-lot

OVS could be... erm ...ahh ...the Black Knight at the bridge

The obnoxious French guys would be the hecklers from that unnamable sim

And the holy grail is undoubtedly a new engine for P4

Job's got a lot of perks ...just watch out for the flying cows grin.gif