Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

Nr. 40:

FMV/Phönixwerke Phönix 122 D.III

The type entered service with the army in 1919, was retired from the air force, where it was designated J 1, in 1932.

A total of twelve served with the Swedish armed forces.

Photo shows a plane built in 1919, military serial 947.

The Phönix D.I was an Austro-Hungarian First World War biplane fighter built by the Phönix Flugzeug-Werke and based on

the Hansa-Brandenburg D.I.

Development

The Phönix D.I was the second design developed by the Phönix Flugzeug-Werke based on Hansa-Brandenburg designs which it

has produced under licence.[1] The D.I was a single-seat biplane fighter with improvements over the original Hansa-Brandenburg

design which included more efficient wings, a more powerful engine and structural improvements.[1] A prototype was first flown

in 1917 and proved to be fast but difficult to handle but because of the urgent need for fighters the D.I entered production.

To improve the problems a modified variant, the D.II was introduced with balanced elevators and balanced ailerons on the upper wings.

A further development was the D.III which had balanced ailerons on both wings and a more powerful 230hp (172kW) Hiero in-line engine.

The last of 158 aircraft of all three types was delivered on 4 November 1918.

Variants

D.I - Initial production variant with a 200hp (149kW) Hiero inline engine.[1]

D.II - Improved variant with balanced elevators and balanced ailerons on the upper wings.[1]

D.III - Improved variant with balanced ailerons on both wings and powered by a 230hp (172kW) Hiero in-line engine.[1]

Operators

Austria-Hungary

* KuKLFT

* Austro-Hungarian Navy

Sweden

* Swedish Air Force

Edited by Olham

This particular aircraft is:

A Swedish Phönixwerke Phönix 122 D.III

The type entered service with the army in 1919, was retired from the air force, where it was designated J 1, in 1932. A total of twelve served with the Swedish armed forces.

Built in 1919, military serial 947.

However, in general it's a development of the Phönix D.I which was the second design developed by the Phönix Flugzeug-Werke based on Hansa-Brandenburg designs which it produced under licence.The D.I was a single-seat biplane fighter with improvements over the original Hansa-Brandenburg design which included more efficient wings, a more powerful engine and structural improvements.A prototype was first flown in 1917 and proved to be fast but difficult to handle but because of the urgent need for fighters the D.I entered production. To improve the problems a modified variant, the D.II was introduced with balanced elevators and balanced ailerons on the upper wings. Then a further development was the D.III which is what we have here, which had balanced ailerons on both wings and a more powerful 230hp (172kW) Hiero in-line engine.

Drat! ROFTL! we must have been typing at the same time.

Oh no! Sorry, Dej, really! I would have thought you'd go for the V-Strut.

Come on - second try! Is it allowed?

Lou - can a poster, who came after another's right answer shortly, post again on another pic ?

In this case, since both of you gave the same correct answer within a minute of each other, Dej is free to go for one of the two remaining planes. If however Dej's answer had been incorrect I would have said no. So, two more points to you Olham, and Dej, you are free to try again on this set. BTW, great info from both of you on the Phonix D.III. I thought you might get tripped up on this one, but you're too sharp for that. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

In this case, since both of you gave the same correct answer within a minute of each other, Dej is free to go for one of the two remaining planes. If however Dej's answer had been incorrect I would have said no. So, two more points to you Olham, and Dej, you are free to try again on this set. BTW, great info from both of you on the Phonix D.III. I thought you might get tripped up on this one, but you're too sharp for that. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks Lou. And Olham too. But I'll wait the 36 hours as per the rules from the start. Olham pipped me by a less than a minute but that's fair and within the rules. Besides, it gave me the best laugh I've had all week when I hit the POST button and saw the bottom of Olham's post on the same pic. ROTFL, honest!

I believe Nr 38 is a Nieuport 17,

Manufacturer: Societe Anonyme des Etablissements Nieuport

Type: Fighter

First Introduced: March 1916

Number Built:

Engine(s): Le Rhône 9J, 9 cylinder, rotary, 110 hp

Wing Span: 26 ft 11 in (8.22 m)

Length: 18 ft 10 in (5.74 m)

Height: 7 ft 10 in

Empty Weight: 827 lb (376 kg)

Gross Weight: 1246 lb (565 kg)

Max Speed: 110 mph (177 km/h)

Ceiling: 17,388 ft (5,300 m)

Endurance: 2 hours

Crew: 1

Armament: 1 Lewis .303 machine gun and/or

1 Vickers .303 machine gun

This one obviously has the Vickers gun, and I think it is Belgian from the photograph, but I could be wrong, though the rudder surfaces do not look like red, white and blue.

Beard

Pic #37 is the Fokker DV.

Reinhold Platz's first design was the Fokker DV (M.22) single seater, which was brought out in the autumn of 1916. The engine, a 100h.p. Oberursel rotary, was provided with a circular open-fronted cowling. A large bowl shaped spinner covered the airscrew hub, so that thee was only a small annular opening left for cooling purposes. The single bay wing cellule was unusual in that the upper plane, which carried horn-balanced ailerons, was swept back. Horizontal stringers were used to give rounded sides to the fuselage; the emppenage was of typical Fokker shape. A single synchronised Spandau gun was fitted.Some 250 DV's were constructed. It gained the reputation of being difficult to fly and was thoroughly unpopular with pilots.

Source: Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War by Lamberton and Cheesman

Edited by Rickitycrate

Dej, that is your choice Sir, and very sporting of you. Best of luck with your next try.

Burning Beard, I'm sorry but #38 is not the Nieuport 17. Great info on your guess though Sir.

Rickitycrate, well done, #37 is the Fokker D.V, and the example shown was in service with Jasta 5. Two more points for you Sir. Also, for folks in the know about Jasta 5, those are Ltn's Bäumer and von Hippel leaning against the wing of the plane.

Cheers!

Lou

Wow, that's British sportsmanship! I would have found it okay and right for you to try another,

cause we where really posting at the same time; AND most important, your answer was right.

Lou said the same.

I hope for you then, that no one comes up with the right answer for the V-strut until 36 hours

are over - but that's a long time.

Congratulation, Rickity! I didn't know that one, honestly.

Very kind of you both, but if you look again at my post I failed to say which photo I was referring to. Correcting that oversight would have taken more time so it's quite right that Olham's post be accepted and mine be considered to be too late.

I believe I DO know precisely what #38 is and yes, 36 hours is a wait, but rules is rules. C'est la guerre. :grin:

Edited by Dej

What happened here with Dej is the main reason this game is so intense for me. In this set of pics I was going to identify pic 38 but thought I should check and see if someone else had done it yet. Sure enough Burning Beard gave the same ID I was going to give. So that made me work on the Fokker DV. I tought it was French from the engine and spinner but then I saw the German pilots, captured plane maybe.... well feeling very rushed to give the answer I posted asap. If a guy could take his leasurely time you could identify the crew and all the assorted whatnots but that's not this game is it. The tension makes it what it is. And in my case someone else's answer earned me 2 points. Dej, you are a good sport. Good luck on that last answer.

Don't give up, Dej - I'll be out tomorrow from 08:00 AM until maybe 20:00 PM.

Perhaps you get the last plane right then, or there's a new set?

Good luck!

I'm grateful for for the information Olham and and touched by the gesture... and the content of PMs from others too. But this is getting far too friendly, it's a competition, dammit! :grin: Play to win chaps, I've had my turn at bat, three cheers for the next man up.

If anyone's holding back because they think I have some kind of 'droit de seigneur' over the answer to #38, DON'T.

Don't worry, Dej - I WANT the Blue Max!

But I'm really out the house all day, cause my friend's house is still not ready.

We got to plaster the walls (not us!).

Hi Chaps, No 38 is a Belgain air force Nieuport 23.

The main defference's between the 17 and the 23 were that the 23 had a light weight version of the LeRhone 9J engine fitted that gave it a better power to weight ratio.Also a single Vickers machine gun was fitted sync'd to fire through the prop.One interesting fact is that the RFC ordered all it's 23's with only a Lewis gun fitted above the wing?

General characteristics

• Crew: 1, pilot
  • Length: 6.40 m (21 ft 0 in)
  • Wingspan: 8.20 m (26 ft 11 in)
  • Height: 2.40 m (7 ft 11 in)
  • Wing area: 14.8 m² ( ft²)
  • Empty weight: 355 kg (781 lb)
  • Gross weight: 574 kg (1,263 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Le Rhône 9Jb, 90 kW (120 hp)

Performance

• Maximum speed: 168 km/h (105 mph)
  • Endurance: 1 hours 7 min
  • Service ceiling: 6,500 m (21,000 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 5.8 m/s (1,100 ft/min)

Armament

Very good Red-Dog! It is a Belgian Nieuport 23, belonging to 1 ére, and by the cowling appears to be an early version. The N23 is one of my favorite Entente fighters; agile, quick, and unlike the Camel, forgiving.

Here are the contest standings after photo set 10:

Olham, 24 points

Dej, 19 points

Red-Dog, 18 points

Rickitycrate, 16 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Duce Lewis, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

zoomzoom, 1 point

Cheers!

Lou

DING DING DING !!! WILD CARD PHOTO !

The first to correctly identify the aircraft shown, the year it was built, and why it was ultimately not put into full production for war service will be awarded 2 bonus points. You must be spot on with all answers to win.

Good Luck!

Nieuport Monoplane, around October 1917. Strictly speaking the photo illustrates the second prototype Nieuport monoplane fighter which was under development when the first prototype was flown sometime end 1917 or early 1918. The first protoype was powered by a 150hp Gnome Monosoupape 9N rotary and the machine in the photo powered by a 180hp Le Rhone 9R. However, as of May 1918 the Monosupape powered protoype was still under test and the Le Rhone protoype was abandoned. In the end the prototype was not accepted, but formed the first Nieuport application of the configuration later greatly refined as the Nieuport 31.

I think it within the rules to edit this as no one has posted after me. My original source 'The Complete Book of Fighters' refers to it as a 'Nieuport Monoplane' and gives the information above. However, elsewhere it seems to be referred to as the 'Nieuport-Delage Madon' or 'Nieuport Madon' so for completeness I'm adding this paragraph.

Another photo of it here:

image.php.jpg

Edited by Dej

Hi chaps i think it's a Nieuport-Delage Madon. It did not have any design flaws which eliminated these aircraft as a next generation of French fighters except one – a rotary engine. These types of engines had reached an end of its development in 1918 and become – one can say – outmoded. French authorities preferred modern generation of biplane designs fitted with more powerful inline engines like Ni-29. Besides, I suspect that classic contemporary biplane had comparable or slightly better performance but was more agile than the monoplane. There were two prototypes built.

Wingspan 9.40mLength:6.40m Wing area:17.50Crew 1 Empty weight:433 kgTotal weight:703 kgEngine:1 Gmome 9N 180 hp Maximum speed:220 km / h Armament:2 Vickers machine guns synchronized to 7.7 mm, 1 box shot in the axis of the helix

Dej, you are oh so correct Sir. And so are you Red-Dog, but Dej was first so the two points are his this go-round. Well done!

Current contest standings after this Wild Card photo are as follows:

Olham, 24 points

Dej, 21 points

Red-Dog, 18 points

Rickitycrate, 16 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Duce Lewis, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

zoomzoom, 1 point

Cheers!

Lou

DING DING DING !!! WILD CARD PHOTO !

The first to correctly identify the aircraft shown, its unusual features, and the company that built the production units of this variant will be awarded 2 bonus points. You must be spot on with all answers to win.

Good Luck!

Ding, Ding, Ding.

The photo shows the Beardmore Shipboard Fighter type W.B. III. 80 h.p. Le Rhone. This aircraft was based on the Sopwith Pup airframe but extensively modified for shipboard accomadation. Although embarked on a number of Royal Navy vessels it was not a particularly successful type. With folding wings and retractable landing gear shown in storage mode. Built by the Wm. Beardmore & Co., Dalmurnr. Glasgow, Scotland

Also of note: the struts were four long struts 2 on either side of the fuselage instead of 4 short center section struts.. The main planes are unstaggered and hinged at the main rear spar close to the fuselage. The armament consists of a Lewis gun fitted on a special mounting in front of the pilots cockpit to allow to fire through an opening in the center section.

Source: Janes

Edited by Rickitycrate

And there you have it Rickitycrate. The Beardmore W.B.III, or to use the official military designation for this particular model with the folding undercarriage, the S.B.3F. Later versions had jettisonable undercarriages and flotation equipment and were tagged the S.B.3D. Also, the WB.III could be fitted with either the seven-cylinder Clerget or nine cylinder Le Rhone 9C rotary, both of 80hp.

Two more points to you Sir.

Here are the contest standings after the latest Wild Card photo:

Olham, 24 points

Dej, 21 points

Red-Dog, 18 points

Rickitycrate, 18 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Duce Lewis, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

zoomzoom, 1 point

Cheers!

Lou

Well done, RC. :clapping:

I was a 45 minute car journey from posting the exact same answer. Dashed through the door straight to my PC and you'd nailed it already. Now I'm going to have to lug 'The Complete Book of Fighters' into work as well as an over-stuffed laptop case and general hapsy-flapsy bag... not that I'm taking this competition seriously, mind.