Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

Over 12 hours since I posted this one and no takers so far. I must have picked a toughie. :smile:

I'll check back this evening when I get home from my work trip. Have fun all.

Cheers!

Lou

Well, on the first take it kinda looks like the old Wright Brothers style early wind tunnel. Bu this thing has the fan blades on the outside....so no go. So, to take a stab at WHAT it is, I'll say its an early wind speed indicator, or anemometer. Maker......geeesh. I'll guess Fokker just to guess.....have no way of knowing from the picture that I can see. This is a nasty one!!blink.gif

ZZ.

I'am with ZoomZoom on this one, i haven't a clue!

But for another idea i think it's some sort of alternator / generator for a wireless set.

Although I couldn't find the pic anywhere, I make my guess now.

I say, it's a box for wireless morse code radio communication from aircraft to ground.

The propellor is linked to a dynamo for the energy, driven by the wind.

The company I guess: Marconi Wireless Company

Jim, you can still guess something else - one may win.

It did occur to me that it might be an onboard coffee grinder.... that's not my quess. Olham you have my best guess already covered.

Okay, here's my guess. It is an onboard radio for comm. between pilot and observer. I'll go with Marconi and the prop is to generate the power for operation. Perhaps there is a battery and the prop drives an alternator.

Wow.....good one Olham. Very well thought out!

Can I change mine to the first, unsuccessful wooden torpedo?rofl.gif

ZZ.

Think you nailed it though Olham. I couldn't figure out what the little handle and slider on the top were for, and now that you mention it, there are coils in wireless sets that allow you to adjust the frquency....think that may be it.

Edited by zoomzoom

I don't know, Zoomzoom - I couldn't find any pics looking like this, under those key words.

So, it may be something very different...

It may be the power generator for the searchlight attached to the Spad XI nightfighter, built by Societe Pour L'Aviation et ses Derives, with the mini-prop being the generators fan. At least the wood looks like SPAD interior wood...

I've been looking for this off and on all day... and I'm still none the wiser. Can safely say though that if I never see anything to do with WW1 wireless telegraphy again... it'll be too soon! :help::stars:

Greetings All,

I just returned from my day's business trip and have read through everyone's guesses here, and let me compliment you all on some wonderful guesses at that. Let's review:

zoomzoom, it is not an anemometer nor is it the first unsuccessful wooden torpedo, or the second, third, or any number in the series of unsuccessful wooden torpedos.

Red-Dog, it is not an alternator or generator for a wireless set, though it does have a certain "je nerator sais quois" about it.

Olham, it is not a box for wireless morse code radio communication despite what appears to be a code key on top of the box.

Rickitycrate, also no to it being a communications radio between pilot and observer, or an onboard coffee grinder, much as I would like it to be an onboard coffee grinder as I would have a real use for that option.

Baldric, not a power generator for the searchlight attached to the Spad XI nightfighter, but a very knowledgeable guess in terms of that Spad.

And Dej, sorry you had to spend all your free time today sifting through information on WW1 wireless telegraphy, as this item has nothing what-so-ever to do with radio or wireless communicatins of any kind, (but look how much more you now know on THAT subject).

I will suggest that you direct your collective attention to a certain little item on the top of that box, and that's all I am going to say at this point as I have also just given you the tip that it is not radio related. Keep trying everyone.

Cheers!

Lou

OK, here's my wild guess

The instrument is for measuring windspeed and direction

Probably used to aid in bombing accuracy

No, sorry Duce, not that either. But another believable guess, given what the thing looks like.

Cheers!

Lou

Folks, since this particular Wild Card photo is proving to be more of a challenge than I imagined it would, I am going to do something a bit different. If the correct answer is not posted by Friday, September 4, at 10:00am GMT, (about seven hours from now), I will post a second photo showing a bit more to the inner workings of this item, and at that point we will start fresh and all can try to give the correct answer, (no 36 hour wait from your previous answer on the first photo for this item). So be ready, and remember you will need to correctly identify the object shown, name who the manufacturer was, and what purpose the small propeller served, (if you only give part of this needed info in your answer you will not be awarded the points).

Cheers!

Lou

Hi chaps, boy is this a hard one.

My latest idea is that it is a ..... Le Prieur designed rocket fire control system,the small propeller produced the spark by way of a dyamo effect and the pilot could select which rockets were fired by using the selector on top of the box.

I reckon it's a wind-operated movie camera made by Zeiss?

RedDog, even if it might be wrong: superb guess; sounds very good!

Sorry I'm a bit late, I had to reset my modem and router. Jim and Red-Dog, still more interesting and thoughtful guesses, but no to both I'm afraid. As promised, I am posting a second Wild Card photo of this object. The side of the box is now open and two accessories have been fitted to the item as well. Again, you will need to correctly identify the object, name who the manufacturer was, and tell what purpose the small propeller served, and you must be correct with all three to claim the two points. Here you go folks:

Good Luck.

Whatever it is, I WANT one!

An air-operated knitting machine for bored observers?

The first try at a portable CD player?

Some sort of navigation equipment like a sextant?

As for the manufacturer I reckon it is (for the Americans) The Rube Goldberg widget Corporation

and for the British the Heath Robinson amazing doodad company Ltd.

Really, I am dying to know the answer. :dntknw:

LOL! Jim, you're closer to the answer than you know Sir. wink.gif

Cheers!

Lou

I'd hazard it wasn't a commonplace/mass produced addition to a crate, given the differences in the boxes, cowling and 'fan' prop. Whatever it is, I think there is a variability to the power (??rheostat control?) of the prop spin. The brass-like clockworks and ?rocker arm are gorgeous, but I really have no idea what they do...I'll say its a meteorological device that records on a circular graph chart and transmits some data back to Corp, from a balloon basket, with the fanprop being a windspeed measurer. Manufacturer... 'Handmade Device for testing purposes'. idea.gifblink.gif

grin.gif

I give up on getting the points. So here's a thought.... it's some kind of counter. Maybe an air odometer. Someone for the love of God please solve this!

Baldric, it was in fact a production item, built from 1915 to 1921 and used in a variety of aircraft. It is not a meteorological device of any kind, nor an air odometer. The propeller is not there to measure anything but rather to drive something, by means of the mechanical power produced by it spinning in the wind as the plane moved through the air. Don't despair Rickitycrate, the truth is out there. Keep trying folks.

Cheers!

Lou