Folks:

I do plan to post a compatibility update package for the Dec 2009 patch level (which includes the combo pack). Aside from some hard drive problems and a fried motherboard, what's been delaying this release of that package is the trees/clouds ugliness which everyone using that patch level is familiar with. I've been struggling with what to do about it.

First off, it appears that only TK can supply a real fix for the issue (none of the fixes for Gen 1 work); the best we can do is offer workarounds, each of which have downsides. I tried raising the altitude of the clouds (as suggested by TK), but that doesn't completely the problem. You still see flashes of the problem here and there. Worse, the clouds start bumping into the overcast layer in Overcast weather, producing a whole new bit of ugliness to shake your head at (a lot like the clouds bumping into mountain tops). Plus, raising the clouds destroys the atmosphere created by the Widesky mod. So, I've concluded that raising the clouds is not a workable solution.

The only other solution I've been able to come up with is to "disappear" the trees. Not an ideal solution, but not as bad as you might think, because the terrain tiles created by Brain32 and Stary (and modded by Pappa Goat) are so excellent and detailed. Disappearing the trees does completely solve the trees/clouds problem, however, you will still see some funny business when looking down through clouds at the ocean or at shore tiles (which, like trees, are TGAs that include an alpha layer).

I'd like to get your assessment of the "disappeared trees" fix. Attached is a set of new tree TGAs (which are clear TGAs) to drop in your VietnamSEA or SouthVietnam terrain folders (back up your old ones first). What do you think?

To my eyes this is the "least bad" solution. I'd love to keep the trees, but if it's a choice between no trees and the trees/clouds ugliness, I'll take the no trees. (Actually, I'll take the Jun2009b patch level or WoV if that isn't available, but that's another story).

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

1) Good to know you are still working on a "Dec-2009-fix"... Will it include more than your fixes already out?

2) Thanks for this "tree fix" - I'll give it a try and report back (hope to do so today/tomorrow)...

After "going in" yesterday, I "wandered" through the jungle around my wrecked plane and I was able to admire that multitude of trees, palms and vegetation - awesome pieces of work!

and

3) I - as many I guess - still hope TK will come up with a general fix to this "tiles-problem". Maybe your "TGA/alpha layer"-hint will be of help to him find a solution........ Is that the same which causes those "snowy" sights in the mirrors sometimes?

Thanks again for your work (and I pity you for your hardware-problems).

Oliver

Eric,

yesterday I applied your "XP v2 Jan 2010-Update"... Here's my observations:

Trees

now I understand what you mean by "...Until then, we think players will notice the missing 3D trees a lot less than the glaring eyesore of the oddish trees/clouds rendering caused by the Dec2009 patch."

Right, those trees poking through the clouds are all gone (would saying "transparent" put it more exactly? cool.gif ).

The missing trees are a bit of a pity, though. Most evident is their lack on the ridge-lines when flying low or sitting on the ground. Then there now is a very sharp line between "where the mountain ends and sky begins". Before, that sharp line was more "scattered" by the trees, giving it a more realistic look...

(I assume that aside from the above there are no trees or jungle for Charlie to hide in on the ground views any more... Too bad.)

But flying a bit higher there is no difference to before, so THANKS for the "workaround", and hopefully eventually TK will deliver a fix for the alpha-layers (the more as the "sea-shining-through" seems to be for the same reason...); in that case I saved me a back up of the tree-data as they were before...

Cockpit-data

yup, A-6 (all I have been able to check-out yesterday evening - same, I did not have the time to check the decals yet) look cool again!clapping.gif

Well, almost - see screenie below: when looking seven/eight o'clock there now is a part of the plane (wing root) missing/transparent... Any fix that even I (or some other jackass like me) might be able to perform? - I hate always having YOU guys fix this kind of things... Sorry!

edit: and - yah - you already said that the BN would be gone.... Sorry for you, mate...Salute.gif

F-4-ailerons

hum, I assume you included my F-4DATA.INIs in your pack - that leaves the OWL, Rivet Haste and the RF-4s still without working ailerons, right? At least the RH (the only one I have been able to check) did not have them working yesterday... (BTW: have they been working on all of the F-4s before the Dec-patch???)

Same as above: any DIY-fix maybe? (But I guess no - and I am pretty confident that if at all there was anything to be done about that, you probably WOULD have incorporated that - sure you wouldn't have just overlooked it, would you? dntknw.gif )

F-104 refueling probe

okay, where there was the the tube missing before (and the probe "flying in the air" independently) you now deleted the probe from the cockpit-view too, right? ...That's okay with me - definitely better than before...

finally (BINGO-time):

Tracer effects

this is the best effect seen in this game! (Or I just got used to all the great ones already in before...)

From all I have been reading and seen in movies about that before (FOTI for example), it is absolutely awesome to see it in action yourself... And that's from observing this effect in daylight only yesterday - how darn good will that one look at night, then? *thrill of anticipation*

Really: a great job! good.gif

And this can be said for the Update overall! Mainly the trees needed a fix, but together with the "smaller" (but equally "distubring") things "broken" by the Dec2009 the Update is fricking worth any minute you spent putting it together.

A big THANK YOU to you!!!

post-52148-12639713057284.jpg

Edited by stingray77

stingray77:

Regarding the issues you raised:

A-6 Cockpit: you can fix that little glitch by re-enabling the OpenCockpit=TRUE line in the COCKPIT.INIs for the A-6A/B.

F-4 ailerons: actually I didn't use your F-4 files. Nor did I use the campaign files you posted. The other F-4 models didn't receive the "fix" because they don't use the ThirdWire SF2 LODs, which are what changed. Except for the F-4E_RH, all the others were and still are working because they were never broken by the patch. The F-4E_RH ailerons were never working, but that's because I somehow used the wrong model name for the ailerons. They should be drooping_aileron_left/right, not plain aileron_left/right.

F-104 refueling probe: I simply moved the cockpit position forward a little bit to make the probe tip disappear. That matches what you see (or don't see) in WoV.

These fixes (A-6 cockpits, Rivet Haste ailerons) will be included in the main Expansion Pack 7z files when I roll all the other post-Gold fixes into those main files. Attached is a ZIP that has the fixes for anyone who wants to apply them now. The A-6 cockpit files are for Dec2009 only. The Rivet Haste file is for all patch levels.

Also attached is a complete set of flak effects files (high & low) for the Dec2009 patch. I neglected to include them in the Jan 2010 update.

Eric Howes

F-4 ailerons: actually I didn't use your F-4 files. Nor did I use the campaign files you posted. The other F-4 models didn't receive the "fix" because they don't use the ThirdWire SF2 LODs, which are what changed. Except for the F-4E_RH, all the others were and still are working because they were never broken by the patch. The F-4E_RH ailerons were never working, but that's because I somehow used the wrong model name for the ailerons. They should be drooping_aileron_left/right, not plain aileron_left/right.

Oh - so you found some other things in need to get changed additionally to my changes!? (Same for Campaign-data.) ...Good to know...

Hum, I thought I checked all the non-TW-F-4s and found non-operational ailerons on all of them - but I might be wrong... Will check again...

These fixes (A-6 cockpits, Rivet Haste ailerons) will be included in the main Expansion Pack 7z files when I roll all the other post-Gold fixes into those main files. Attached is a ZIP that has the fixes for anyone who wants to apply them now. The A-6 cockpit files are for Dec2009 only. The Rivet Haste file is for all patch levels.

Also attached is a complete set of flak effects files (high & low) for the Dec2009 patch. I neglected to include them in the Jan 2010 update.

Thanks for the attached zips - I already figured to apply those changes myself... good.gif

Hi Eric

I've been able to play and check a little yesterday.

First of all: thanks, your fixes (well, I didn't get to check the Flak-effects actually) work well...

And - phew - BN is back in the A-6's! Cool! good.gif

Now the ailerons on all of the (non-stock) F-4s work well, too... Great! drinks.gif

Unfortunately I found two things again (sorry for coming back with this...) - all on the RF-4's (same problems on both of them):

1) (not THAT much of a problem really) full ailerons applied the external tanks shine through the aileron panels (see first screenie - rear end of tank "pokes" through the starboard panel - same on port for that matter.)

This was hard to reproduce/observe in-flight - maybe due to the ailerons not getting deflected that much while airborne? dntknw.gif

2) there is a problem with the intakes and splitter plates - they appear to be in front of the cockpit, but are not in place looking over the shoulder (see rest of screenies). this.gif

As said, these things are same on both RF-4's (but none of the F-4's tested - as were the RH, Owl and stock '67)...

Hope you will be able to supply a fix (or "howto") for those things too....

Thanks and all the best

Oliver

post-52148-12640540948662.jpg

post-52148-12640543974727.jpg

post-52148-1264054452442.jpg

post-52148-12640544799726.jpg

stingray77:

I can't reproduce the first problem, which may be a product of your graphic settings.

The cockpit view problem is a side effect of an earlier fix for the problem of shimmering trees/ocean when viewed through the canopy (which was reported on some RF aircraft). The solution is to adjust the position of the cockpit. Attached are replacement cockpit files (which, again, will be included in a future upload).

Eric Howes

1) not too much of a problem (as I wrote already) - can live with that...

and

2) THANKS again for the fast fix for this one! good.gif

Still, I'm going to download the full new set then (when ready) and will apply that onto a "fresh" unmodded folder. Looking forward to that.

Great service (as always)... drinks.gif

All is well now - thanks again....

And something that I for the first time noticed yesterday is, that the aircraft you're flying (that was F-4, but NOT F-105 - I was checking out these two a/c only) gets "your pilot's" kill-marks updated - 1 enemy plane down = 1 star, 2 down = two stars... This maxed to 4 stars.

As said, I never noticed that before and think that's really COOL! good.gif

Does this come with the game or with some new INIs for the Phantoms? I guess the former, as this can be seen on all the Phantom-models.

Enjoy your flights...

Folks:

For those who have applied the Jan. 2010 Update (either the SF2V or the WoV version) attached are some new tracer effects, which will be included in the updated 7zips for the main packages that I will upload sometime in the next week (probably late in the week). Download the version appropriate for your installed version of the Expansion Pack (one for SF2V, the other for WoV).

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Hey Eric, I would go through all your campaign data.ini's and in each aircraft unit needs to have STARTNUMBER=0 in them. The reason for this is to prevent planes showing up without tail numbers. A prime example is the F-111A's. After I added that to Airunit062 right under the MaxAircraft line, then tail numbers start to show up in the campaigns. Its a pain in the ass but worth the immersion factor.

Dave:

Thanks for the tip. Attached are revised campaign DATA.INIs for all campaigns in the WoV and SF2 versions of the Expansion Pack. These will be included when I update the main 7zips later this week.

Eric Howes

Okay, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I searched everywhere I could and didn't find the answer. I installed this mod exactly as instructed. How does it work after installation and how do you know it's working? Thanks!

kentcol:

For starters, you should see a number of new aircraft in the list of aircraft available to fly in Single Missions (Create a Mission). The ReadMe has a complete list of aircraft added. Also, once you start flying a Single Mission, you should notice that the terrain looks dramatically different than the stock SF2V terrain. Plus, the clouds and weather elements will give the entire game a different look and atmosphere.

Eric Howes

kentcol:

For starters, you should see a number of new aircraft in the list of aircraft available to fly in Single Missions (Create a Mission). The ReadMe has a complete list of aircraft added. Also, once you start flying a Single Mission, you should notice that the terrain looks dramatically different than the stock SF2V terrain. Plus, the clouds and weather elements will give the entire game a different look and atmosphere.

Eric Howes

No, the new planes or campaigns are not showing up!

Edited by kentcol

kentcol:

Then the Expansion Pack hasn't been installed properly. I suggest you go back and review your installation steps. If you're installing the SF2 version, then make sure that you're installing the Expansion Pack to the Mods Folder, not the program's main installation folder.

Eric Howes

kentcol:

Then the Expansion Pack hasn't been installed properly. I suggest you go back and review your installation steps. If you're installing the SF2 version, then make sure that you're installing the Expansion Pack to the Mods Folder, not the program's main installation folder.

Eric Howes

I will review but I'm pretty sure I followed all steps correctly and I did install to Mods folder. Thanks for your help!

Eric, could you please check, if the SA-7 is working properly? Reason is that on a mission yesterday, I targeted one but when trying to see it in "target-close up" (F8) there was nothing on the green field....

Re-checking with the /Ground Objects I found an SA-7 (and SA-7L for that matter) -folder with its data in it - I just cannot verify if it's all complete/correct.

Only reason for not seeing it, might have been that some montain obscured the view to it..... But I don't think so, as it was some pretty flat terrain......

Then I was doing another Gunship-night mission (basically to enjoy more of those tracer-effects (thanks a lot by the way for the new ones you have been supplying), and I was missing the trees again. I was totally blown away by them even casting shadows when firing on a truck convoy - an AWESOME effect! Unfortunately that's gone now with the alpha-layer-workaround.... But that's something I still hope TK will fix eventually.

Thanks again!

Then a question about the new tracers: after extracting the data, there are several TGA.files going directly into the /Objects-folder... Do you confirm this?

I think the /Objects-folder did hold only folders in it and no files directly - that's why I was wondering.

Stingray77:

The SA-7s appear as they should -- I just tested them. And, yes, the TGAs are supposed to go into the Objects folder. That's why I put them there.

Eric Howes

Errr - blue tracers? I saw them on AAA around an airfield at a night mission after applying your latest tracers-pack, yesterday.

Are blue ones (and if I recall correctly some few red ones) authentic? ...Never heard about those (or seen them in movies).....

And - hum - that was the first time I applied such a thing without saving a back-up... Do you happen to have the originals still available, in case I don't get accustomed to those colored tracers?

Sorry for the hassle again... blink.gif

Stingray77:

They're purple, not blue. And YOU have the backup. Look in the Jan 2010 update package.

Eric Howes

Ah, right.... (Sorry...)

So they ARE authentic? ...I very much guess so, as (as far as I was able to see) all your things are accurate to the point... I just find them so - well - "unusual" and I never heard of or saw such effects...

(Blue / purple - yes - old eyes get weak...grin.gif )

Eric

You know you can use the B-52G from that packs we released instead of that 6 year old model. There is a specific Vietnam era B-52G in the SF2 Megapack