- the HDR mod 1.01A doesn't run anymore. At least Boris' script in the upper left doesn't appear - which (I understand) does indicate whether the enbseries are turned on or not. (Yes, I checked the d9d3.dll and the enbseries being still there.)

Don't know if the new DX10-support implemented overrules the DX9 driver being part of the HDR-mod.

Oliver

According to Microsoft.....YES , in a big way....

331KillerBee

Richard:

See my reply in the other thread. At this point I simply need more data about your particular installation.

Eric Howes

Stingray77:

What I noticed was some trees shining through clouds - see screenie. Was it like this before or does the patched game not correlate with the addition of trees...??? Anything to be done about it??? (I'll post it in the ThirdWire-forum as well...)

No, it wasn't like that before the patch -- at least not with the SF2V Expansion Pack. This is just the kind of problem that I suspected might crop up with this new patch, as TK has made lots of changes to the game's graphics engine recently. Unfortunately, I don't have a fix for this.

Eric Howes

Ouch - that doesn't sound good (if even YOU don't have an idea blink.gif ).......

I thought that might have been similar to some "height"-issue, I read about (that in installs merged with SF2I the ships were down in the water too low / sunk) - that was to be solved by some adjustment in the terrain-heights...

Hum, as said, I'll post it in the TW-forum as well (but frankly do not expect a solution as this is "third party"-related.......)

Maybe I'll just take the roll-back-solution......

But thanks for coming back to this.

That issue has absolutely nothing to do with "heights". It's caused by the way the series handles two alpha objects with transparent backgrounds (a similar issue can occur when viewing distant trees and structures "through" a grove of nearby trees). The fix is to simply add mipmapping to the offending clouds.

BTW, this is just another example of a problem that can be solved by simply reading through the knowledge base.

I see this tree cliping too, how do I add mipmapping to those clouds? (I'm off to read the knowledge base).

Fubar512:

You wrote:

The fix is to simply add mipmapping to the offending clouds.

The ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI in the Expansion Pack already uses mipmapping for the CloudMaterial and CloudLayerMaterial, yet the problem persists.

Richard, at this point I have tried various different changes to the ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI Cloud materials and the VIETNAMSEADATA.INI AlphaObjectTextureMaterial with no satisfactory results. Someone with a better working knowledge of the graphics engine in SF2V and the changes made in this latest patch is going to have to take a crack at it.

In the mean time, I have attached an updated ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI that uses the new shaders introduced with SF2I. I doubt this version of the file (which goes in the \Flight dir of your SF2V mod folder) will solve the problem at hand for you, but at least you'll be using the correct shaders.

Eric L. Howes

Edited by eburger68

Thanks for that, I tried it, and it looks good, alot brighter, more light. Trees are still goofy. Check out my screen, the clouds "vanish" in a square around my point of view down low. Maybe something else is going on there.

img00003z.jpg

img00004r.jpg

Richard:

That doesn't look good. Were you seeing those squares with the previous ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI (i.e., the one you just replaced)?

As I said, someone with a better knowledge of the graphics engine will have to take a look.

Eric Howes

Yeah, it was doing it before.

Is there anyway to install the Expansion Pack without the trees and new tiles? I may try to go back to stock terrain, which isn't really that bad. But I really like the targets lists and campaings in the pack. Or maybe just without the trees.

Here is what TK proposed in order to put the clouds to a higher altitude (obviously the trees poking through the clouds is only seen on clouds hanging low):

"...try editing EnvironmentSystem.INI, scroll down and find cloud sections - there are three, [CloudsScattered], [CloudsBroken], and [CloudsInclement], try adjusting MinBaseAltitude= and MaxBaseAltitude= up (higher alt, these values are in meters), and/or 3DCloudVerticalSize= down (smaller size, again in meters)."

Well, actually this effect is not THAT bad (if those were all the "full" trees), but that "predictable pattern" of cross shaped trees looks a bit weird on the bright clouds...

Anyhow, I will still "play a little" with the situation as is (as said, it's not ALWAYS that you see that effect) and may consider adjusting the height (or even a full roll-back to "before Dec 2009" - although I don't think that really necessary any more) later...

I also asked about the ailerons-issue in the TW-forum... (The F-4's ailerons were not animated - after the patch (plus XP Gold) the F-4J has full working ailerons, all the other F-4's don't. yikes.gif ) Got a response and will try to get all my ducks in a row... I will come back to this as soon as I see clearly.....

Richard:

You asked:

Is there anyway to install the Expansion Pack without the trees and new tiles? I may try to go back to stock terrain, which isn't really that bad. But I really like the targets lists and campaings in the pack. Or maybe just without the trees.

It is possible. You would need to skip installing the following files:

- VIETNAMSEA_DATA.INI

- Vietnam*.BMP

- Vietnam*.TGA

- Vietnam*.TOD

- VIETNAMSEA.TFD

- VIETNAMSEA.HFD

- paddy_new.tga

- jungle.tga

- paddy.tga

Some of those target areas are going to look completely out of place, though, because they were constructed to fit the particular textures used in Brain32's and Stary's re-painted tiles.

Eric Howes

Stingray77:

Here is what TK proposed in order to put the clouds to a higher altitude (obviously the trees poking through the clouds is only seen on clouds hanging low):

"...try editing EnvironmentSystem.INI, scroll down and find cloud sections - there are three, [CloudsScattered], [CloudsBroken], and [CloudsInclement], try adjusting MinBaseAltitude= and MaxBaseAltitude= up (higher alt, these values are in meters), and/or 3DCloudVerticalSize= down (smaller size, again in meters)."

Well, actually this effect is not THAT bad (if those were all the "full" trees), but that "predictable pattern" of cross shaped trees looks a bit weird on the bright clouds...

Yes, I saw his post. His solution isn't really a fix, though -- more of a workaround, because it doesn't address the core problem. Keep in mind that some of those mountain peaks extend up to around 2800-3000 m. And by raising the clouds you're going to lose a lot of the "atmosphere" provided by the Widesky mod.

On my own system I will not be sticking with this patch level, because on WinXP/DX9 it simply doesn't offer anything worth keeping. The June-2009b patch level was solid while maintaining good backwards compatibility with previous mods.

As for the SF2V Expansion Pack, my advice on the Dec 2009 patch for now will be the same as it was for SF2I earlier -- if you want to install it, go right ahead, but there won't be a fix for every potential issue you could encounter. In other words, you're on your own.

Eric Howes

Yup, fully understood.

And I absolutely share your view about "readjusting the clouds"... No real "solution"!

So, not too bad that I might be able to live with that glitch... bye.gif

As I have SF2V May 2009b standalone on Vista, the Dec 2009 DOES offer an improvement for me - so I tend to remain at that stage.

I am left with the ailerons-issue; but I might have been able to close in on this. See my new post (soon to come) about this in the "General Discussion".

I understand the "install at your own risk" aspect of using the SF2I patched to Dec2009.

For the sake of clarity, would the install steps be:

1. create new saved game SF2I/Dec2009

2. install AG XP GOLD mods,

3. add the additional SF2I specific items

4. cross fingers

4. go fly!!!

Or am I missing something? I've read the readme, but with the release of the Dec2009 update, I'm not sure if things changed.

Thank you

TurtleHawk:

After your last step, do a test flight with the A-4E and A-7B to check if those aircraft are afflicted with the problem discussed (and shown) in this thread:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/50970-vietnam-a4-e-missing-tail-with-viet-gold-mod/

If you see broken up/missing tails such as in those screenshots, then download and apply the updated DECALS.INIs from my last post in that thread.

Eric Howes

Thanks, Eric, will do.

Update: I install the decals fix, but the A-7 still has a small missing gfx where the tail meets the fuselage. Sorry I'm not able to post a screen.

Edited by TurtleHawk

I get the same effect as RichardG, not only with this terrain though, with all my modded terrains/enviroments......certainly needs more than just the KB fix.

Folks:

Here's something else for those who have applied the Dec 2009 patch: a SPEECHSYSTEM.INI that suppresses those endless and completely obnoxious "He's firing his guns!" calls. Unpack the attached ZIP and drop the INI file in the \Flight dir of your SF2V Mod Folder.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Eric, thanks for the "No_Firing"! drinks.gif Works well...

And maybe you can help on this:

yesterday I spotted that the F-104C does not have the refueling pipe, when looking from the inside of the cockpit. (Viewed from externally everything is there...) The probe itself is seen, hanging in the air, though (circled)...

Sorry, that I did not spot this before you issued the "Gold"..... dntknw.gif

See screenie:

post-52148-12614649324696.jpg

I 've done a merged install on SF2VEI + patch dec2009 with the For_SF2I.zip installed as well.

When i select a single anti-ship mission I got always a sanpan as boat type.

( Even when i select Germany or Israel map ... )

It's sound like:

- Due to a bug in the Single Mission engine for SF2 versions patched only to the May2009b level,

the game will always choose the SAME ship/boat type to attack for Anti-Ship missions.

The type is determined alphabetically -- whatever "Cargo_Ship" type comes first alphabetically in the GroundObject directory

will be selected without variation. This bug appears to have been fixed at the June2009b patch level.

Do you know a way to fix it ?

Coconice:

Do you know a way to fix it ?

Nope. If it's a bug in the game, then it's out of my hands.

Eric Howes

And maybe you can help on this:

yesterday I spotted that the F-104C does not have the refueling pipe, when looking from the inside of the cockpit. (Viewed from externally everything is there...) The probe itself is seen, hanging in the air, though (circled)...

Sorry, that I did not spot this before you issued the "Gold".....

See screenie:

It's because the probe ONLY exists on the aircraft lod, NOT in the cockpit lod; unlike the Intruder -it has the probe built in to it's cockpit lod.

Have you tried the OpenCockpit=TRUE line in the cockpit ini?? It might make the probe visible due to the FE coding used. However, it WILL cause other problems in the cockpit itself (most likely with the internal framing of the external model (LOD) showing through the G cockpit that's being used).

Be an interesting experiment, though

Other than that, it's a 'just have to live with it' kinda thing

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for your hint, Kevin/Wrench.

I will try that out and see the result(s)... And if there's nothing to be done about that - well, I will be able to live with it as is....... Thanks anyway! bye.gif