Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Graphics woes

Hi All

Dunno if it's me..but no two games of OFF are the same, and it's getting annoying!

Sometimes when I start OFF, it looks and plays brilliantly!....and yet, with no Driver changes /Workshop/CFS3 Config or anything else, the next time..it's utter s**te!...with more Shimmering than the Horizon of the Sahara Desert on a hot day!!!

I have also experienced the same with CFS3 (just running it to see..god forbid actually playing it)

Card is a Nvidia 8800GTX, Drivers are 186.18..with all the recommended Nvidia/OFF settings

Just wondered if anyone else has had similar issues?

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Not me but I got ATI. I suppose the Nvidia drivers doesn't handle OFF good but I can't say for sure. Sure is I got no problems apart of some ground textures that sometimes at a certain angle and/or distance look black/white. Doesn't bothers me too much though, it's a very limited effect mostly visible on takeoffs.

itifonhom

Guest British_eh

I've had some issues lately that are a bit similar and I believe them to be related to my Joystick. Only there when turning etc. so not quite the same. As for your issue, I DL the latest driver, wasn't happy, and went back to 182.06, even older than yours. However, they do have a new one that is just out, so perhaps give it a go? Personally I think the 8800GTX is superb, and I get great FPS, 30 -55.

Cheers,

British_eh

No, never had such things to happen. I'm running an ATI RADEON X1900.

Thanks Guys..yeah, British_eh...I am beginning to suspect Driver issues too

I recently saw a degredation in my OFFing. Framerates were good one time, s**te the next. Good for QC, s**te for missions. I adjusted my settings downward and still things declined. Got to thinking of trying enditall. Then I realized I had too much crap running. So I deleted lot's of stuff and did a Registry fix. The laptop temp was way too hot. The main thing that helped me was to take the cover off my laptop and clean out the dust. My laptop runs a good 20C cooler now and the fans are more efficient in cooling. I added an exterior fan because my laptop heat had nowhere to go the way my desk is set up. I was able to reset my graphics card and sliders and I am back in business. This may have nothing to do with your situation Widow. I'm sure you are more informed than I was about keeping the rig clean and cool. I am considering enditall yet but I am a bit of a fraidycat. If I become confident that it will have the desired effect and that it is Rickitycrate proof I'll give that ago too. I hope you find an answer before your Snipe is in the hangar. Best wishes.

I have an Nvidia card and I have no problems with OFF. But I haven't updated my drivers for a LONG time - my card performs well in every game, so why should fix something that ain't broken? It seems lately there have been more problems with Nvidia drivers than there used to be in the past.

I have similar problems at times but they appear unrelated to vidcards and drivers. I can tell things are going haywire after I hit "Go to Field" and it takes longer than usual to get there. Also, while it's loading, the Windows task bar at the bottom of the screen is visible and it shows a tab there for CFS3, which is colored blue. When things are going OK, there is no task bar visible at all. And finally, when I see the taskbar and eventually get to the field, FPS is EXTREMELY low and TIR either doesn't work at all or is just going nuts and is completely unresponsive to F12.

What appears to be happening is that both OFF and CFS3 are trying to run at the same time. The load of both of them is what's hosing FPS. Also, while what I see on the screen is OFF, TIR apparently thinks its in CFS3 so nothing I do in OFF has any effect.

I've tried closing the spurious CFS3 tab but this doesn't work well. Although it solves the FPS and TIR problem, it hoses OFF somehow. No matter what happens in the sortie, nothing every gets recorded so it's just a wasted sortie. The only solutions I've found is to end the flight immediately once the game comes up, exit OFF, and restart it.

I have an 8800 GTX also running 182.06, no o/c and no problems.

Question: Does the "shimmering" occur primarily on "flat" surfaces or looking head-on, or on angles from 30-45 degrees?

plug_nickel (Al)

Call it a hunch, the ONLY way to maintain a constant input voltage is through a UPS, just because your lamps work, don't mean snot. One easy way to check, leave a Digital Voltmeter hooked into one outlet.

Of course if you already run a UPS, I'll shut-up and resume my drinking grin.gif

You must be drinking some good ol' white lightning...lol. I'm suspecting a cable or DVI adapter.

Widowmaker, it's trying to tell you something - you should get out more and do more carp fishing!

It must be some wierd conflict of settings in your system, which sounds very like mine, and mine is running completely consistently every time, with high framerates and beautiful visuals. I have been running NVidia 190.62 for a number of weeks now, absolutely no problems. You could try this version, but my experience indicates the need if you do to instal it properly ie uninstall the existing set, run something like regcleaner (free d/l) to remove any residual crap from the registry, instal new drivers, fiddle about with "Workshops/CSF3) settings to get it to recognise the new driver version, etc. Don't just install the new drivers over the old ones. I also defragged the HDD which can't do any harm. Hope this might help sort your very frustrating problem.

Shimmering does seem to suggest a filtering issue with the video card's graphics. Drivers or, even dare I say, a dying video card would be my first guess..... Some drivers are simply more reliable and stable than others. Oh for the day when they finally just design drivers that actually get the true performance potential out of these video cards we have!

And as far as when (truly) updating video card drivers, I always simply follow instructions and not take these elaborate steps to clean any old trace of the previous drivers. I let the installer handle that, and it seems to work well for me. Only if you have problems with video performance after upgrading drivers would it be advisable to manually purge the system of the old traces.

Sometimes when I start OFF, it looks and plays brilliantly!....and yet, with no Driver changes /Workshop/CFS3 Config or anything else, the next time..it's utter s**te!...with more Shimmering than the Horizon of the Sahara Desert on a hot day!!!

Widowmaker,

I had the same problem last January when I first loaded BHaH with an ATI 4870. Turned out to be a problem with my memory timings. Once I relaxed them to SPD timings, the problems went away.

Hope this helps.