Sign in to follow this  
OvS

Mark your calendars, November 17th! This is one Nat Geo special you don't want to miss!

http://channel.natio...k/4577/Overview

This instalment of National Geographic's "Expedition Week" will feature OBD Software's very own Terry Kerby, aka... Makai. The show is scheduled to air on November 17.

In real-life, Terry is one of the worlds select few that have the ultimate job (well for Terry… pleasure) of piloting two deep-sea submersible craft, named the Pieces IV and V. Unlike a fighter pilot of WWI, Terry's job takes him anywhere from 1000-6000 feet under the sea to places very few men have seen, or will ever see. It is a true display of serenity and beauty that Terry can only repeat to the world with an underwater video camera, photographs and his own paintings...

http://www.soest.haw...erry_Kerby.html

We are proud to have him as an OFF Community member, a member of the OBD Software crew and no doubt a true stalwart to man's success in exploration and science. We once landed on the Moon, some 40 years ago, and have not been back since. Man’s physical exploration of the Moon stopped, however, the exploration of our planet continues at the highest heights, and the deepest depths. Terry is there on the cutting edge. Please take off from whatever you are doing the night of November 17, and watch this program. Check your local listings for exact times, or stop by the National Geographic website for more info on the program.

http://channel.natio...k/4577/Overview

The show will be concentrating on the 2 400ft I-Class Japanese WWII submarines.

http://www.soest.haw...HURL/I-401.html

http://en.wikipedia....submarine_I-401

From what I gather from Terry and the preview clips on the website, it looks like Nat Geo took a lot of time and effort into putting together a very well documented and detailed presentation, with computer graphics, interviews, facts, and vintage footage. As is normally expected with anything Nat Geo does.

Not only did Terry's HURL team discover 1 of them, but they were credited with finding the twin of the 401, and also quite a few other WWII type ships, as well as all 5 of the 2-man Japanese Midget Subs off the coastal waterways of Pearl Harbor... http://www.encyclope...8300635812.html

Again, it's an opportunity for all of us to step into Terry's life for a day, and see what he sees, live like he lives for the time the show airs. No doubt the appetite we all have for history will be well satisfied by the show, but I'm looking forward to seeing my good friend in action.

All the best,

OvS

post-45836-12561238126824.jpg

post-45836-12561238205512.jpg

post-45836-12561238262659.jpg

post-45836-12561238338552.jpg

post-45836-12561238441861.jpg

Edited by OvS

Fantastic!..But I am hugely disappointed!!

I thought when I saw the title of the post, that a release date for the addon pack had been announced! :grin:

Very cool OvS. What a job to have! Date marked, recorder set just in case.

Cheers!

Lou

What wonderful jobs some lucky people have!

When I picked mine, nobody had shown me a chart with all the other ones (Lol!),

some of which must be like heaven on earth.

In case some one makes a DVD of it, a Non-American would appreciate a copy.

Amazing stuff

Didn't know we had a world renomned explorer in our midst

I'll be there

Funny you say that... Terry is the furthest thing from what you would imagine his personality would be, considering what he's done, and how 'famous' he is.

When you visit a museum, see pictures of him there and see a huge display dedicated to him, then go to his house for some out-of-this world home-made Cesar Salad and Thai-peanut butter chicken... it just dawns on you that it's the way it should be. Life is fun... enjoy it whenever you can.

OvS

Yes, fascinating stuff!...I shall be glued to that!!!...Kudos indeed!!

I find all of this very interesting of course. I am humbled yet again. I hope to see the program. Makai in hawaiian mean's "toward the sea" or some such. The nic makes very good sense to me now. Many thanks to all the team members who make the time in their real lives to work so dilligently on our wonderful sim.

wow, that's really cool, makai.

you live a life i have always dreamt of, but in my case it kept a dream (doing sea related work for living). i love the sea and spend since childhood every single minute at the sea when possible. you're my man :good:

When you visit a museum, see pictures of him there and see a huge display dedicated to him, then go to his house for some out-of-this world home-made Cesar Salad and Thai-peanut butter chicken... it just dawns on you that it's the way it should be. Life is fun... enjoy it whenever you can.

OvS

And I'm sure there were a lotta blood, sweat, and tears to reach that level of success

More power to him Salute.gif

Hope he wears an OFF t-shirt or sumtin ...tehe grin.gif

Thank you all for the kind remarks, and thanks to my friend and team member James for posting the Nat Geo TV information. I apologize for not being very active on the forum but we are about to go to sea again and our crew are working nights and weekends to get the subs ready for dives in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands starting in November. It has not stopped me from working with the rest of the OFF team to get hundreds of new and improved skins and other goodies ready for future OFF enhancements.

These giant subs were exciting discoveries for us and I think Nat Geo put some good effort into covering the dives and the little known history of these unique WWII Japanese monster subs.

I hope you all get a chance to check it out.

Cheers

Makai

Hello,

thanks for posting this. Makai, cool job, or better a fascinating one ! Is there any chance a european citizen could see this ? I have been interested in submarines since my "naval days", and japanese subs are seldomly mentioned, or described. I have been a more than 10-year-old member of www.subsim.com (in fact my forum name originally derived from this lol), and i am sure they will also like to see this !

Greetings,

Catfish

Hello Catfish

Once these documentaries are released they usually make the international circuit. I have had friends in Ireland tell me they saw some documentary on Pisces dives, so it might make it your way at some point.

Cheers

Makai

date is set will be watching on this next voayge keep an eye out for talon thats usally the location he and his all female crew are sailing about i belive

Fascinating stuff Makai! I love it. I get chills just looking at the photos, I can only imagine how it must feel to actually see something like this materialize out of the depths in front of you! Awesome. Just freakin' awesome. I really enjoyed the gallery of paintings on the web site also. I think I may have read the whole site. Great stuff! Unfortunately I don't get the National Geographic Channel. Bummer.:this:

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

Fascinating stuff Makai! I love it. I get chills just looking at the photos, I can only imagine how it must feel to actually see something like this materialize out of the depths in front of you! Awesome. Just freakin' awesome. I really enjoyed the gallery of paintings on the web site also. I think I may have read the whole site. Great stuff! Unfortunately I don't get the National Geographic Channel. Bummer.this.gif

CJ

CJ, if you have cable, you can order it for the month, or the date. I am doing that as I don't have it as well. I wonder if Nat Geo will put it out on DVD for us to buy. I see plenty of their shows on DVD's, usually in gift shops to the museums, and on the I-net.

Hey Wels, do you think you would mind copying my thread and posting it on the the Subsim.com forum? I think a lot of guys over there would really get a thrill out of seeing this program.

If anyone would like to repost my thread... please do. Post it anywhere you like, get the word out to anyone interested in WWII subs, marine nostalgia, undersea adventuring, etc. Should be a good one for all. I love Nat Geo's shows, they're always so detailed. Shame they took it out of the basic Cable package. dntknw.gif

OvS

Hello,

Hey Wels, do you think you would mind copying my thread and posting it on the the Subsim.com forum? I think a lot of guys over there would really get a thrill out of seeing this program.

OvS

Hehe, certainly did this hours ago lol:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157515

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157514

Greetings,

Catfish

Salute.gif Makai!

I am intensely envious--I always wanted to do that job. And it's an honor to converse occasionally with somebody exploring the real frontier.