Sign in to follow this  
snapple2993

Bertuzzi's So Called "attack" On Moore

Well I missed this moment in Hockey, since I was chillin in Daytona and Cocoa Beach this passed week.

Anyway the non-hockey fans took this opporunity like the Marty McSorley on Brashear incident a while back, to criticize my sport for being to brutal.

Well that's just great. Barry Melrose critisized those assholes on ABC today for being so damn hypocritical. Ya this would never happen in any other sport, but other equally violent acts happen in other sports and nobody b*tches about that.

So why is it that non-hockey fans pick on this the greatest of games (IMHO)?

post-5-1079226461_thumb.jpg

Edited by snapple2993

taking the fighting out of hockey is like taking tackling out of football. This was an unfortunate accident. These things happen. Emotion was in control and the guy was doing what all athletes do when their emotions get the best of them. I feel bad for both these guys and I don't watch hockey. After janet Jackson's boob made its' national debut everything in the medias been outta whack. I'm a Howard Stern fan and I probably won't be able to listen to that show for too much longer. Sux.

Yep...Violence is gonna be in every sport. However, I don't ever recall a batter running to the mound with a bat in his hand to bash the face in of a pitcher that just threw a wild pitch. They drop the bat...and settle it like men...with fists.

Football does about the same thing...yeah..they can get a little violent...like the Sapp Attack, and yes snapple he was well within his right to throw that hit, but was it truely neccessary. I'd love to see more fines...heavy fines against these players. Take the money and give it to the cities so they can relieve my freakin taxes so I don't have to pay for a new dome in Indianapolis..

These players are role-models to kids. Kids that take what they just saw and try to duplicate it on the playground. They get sent to the principles office and the parents get called. Lets see the parents get fined...that'll bring back spankings..that alot of these kids need.

Fates

In other sports though, when you throw that punch, you are immeadiately ejected from the game. There is no "Time out" for poor sportsmanship. Besides in Football, there is not that much in this kind of violence because of the fines and ejections. I agree with Seawolf on this one, it's what I call attempted murder.

Give a little background on Bertuzzi. He is not a dirty player (usually) he is the equivalent of say a power center in kind of a Hakim Olajuwon* form. He's not out there to get into fights or take penalties. He's out there to score goals, it just so happens that he's huge and can bang bodies.

This incident goes back to when Moore leveled Markus Naslund (a Swedish finesse player and Bertuzzi's center [Tuzzi is his winger]. The hit was much like the Sapp attack, it was a check thrown high (he left his feet, which is illegal) and gave Naslund a concusion. Both coaches went at it, and revenge was promised. Bertuzzi was the wrong guy to take the revenge, but he probably felt obligated being Naslund's line mate. And Tuzzi went at it the wrong way. He did not throw a punch, he slammed Moore into the ice cracking two vertebret. Ordinarily the two guys would've squared off and dropped the gloves, but Vancouver should've had another guy do it.

Yes, this was a cheapshot, but taken out of frustration because Moore wouldn't square of and drop the mits. This is nothing like the McSorley incident where he smacked Donald Brashear on the temple with his stick, any kind of high stick is a penalty, all players know this, and McSorley took a bat swing at him.

As for attempted manslaughter... probably McSorley's, but not Tuzzi's incident. Although, oddly enough both incidents took place in Vancouver, and Canadian law has the ability to prosecute (unlike in our Country), infact they did against McSorley. Bertuzzi was fined a whole lot of money and has been suspended for the remainder of the season and playoff's (which means Vancouver will probably not make it out the first round, and lose 10's of millions in revenue), and he may never be able to play in the NHL again. Gary Betman the NHL commissioner handed this decision down 3 days after the incident. No other league would do this so fast to such a high profile player (he's one of the top 10 in the world).

As Barry Melrose put it on ABC on saturday, rubbing in Nascar is all good even when it causes an accident. Nothing noteable happened to Warren Sapp, hell the NFL lets murderers and rapists play, not to mention coke heads. Roger Clemons threw a bat (debateable), pitchers gun for batters all the time. And basketball's just well basketball.

You never hear Hockey fans or annalyists bitching about any of these incidents, but as soon as a Hockey player does something a little excessive, everyone that's ever had an opinion about sports comes out and tries to get rid of the violence in hockey, even though it serves a purpose.

Again Tuzzi went at it the wrong way, but whenever something like this happens in hockey, people point at fighting as the cause of it, and they just dont know how big fighting in hockey is. It's sends a message, and can energize the crowd and team, much like a goal or big save.

Oh Fates, whats up with the dome, insnt that thing already state of the art?

Edited by snapple2993

You never hear Hockey fans or annalyists bitching about any of these incidents, but as soon as a Hockey player does something a little excessive, everyone that's ever had an opinion about sports comes out and tries to get rid of the violence in hockey, even though it serves a purpose.

That's the part I don't care about hockey. Violence serves no purpose except to get people hurt. The drunk also said he didn't mean to run over the people, they just got in the way. I don't watch Hockey due to this violence as it serves nothing but to give our kids the wrong ideas. I agree that all sports are becoming way too violent and needs to be controlled much more proactively.

That's the part I don't care about hockey. Violence serves no purpose except to get people hurt. The drunk also said he didn't mean to run over the people, they just got in the way. I don't watch Hockey due to this violence as it serves nothing but to give our kids the wrong ideas. I agree that all sports are becoming way too violent and needs to be controlled much more proactively.

Aye! Next season I'll cross-check a gator in the throat just for you. ;)

What ever floats your boat. Just beware of the Torpedos that you don't see coming. :D

Rumble and ice-hockey, that is since the start of the game stick together.

But break a neck in a check? No, that is to hard. But when he didn't break his neck, the attacker had a 5 minutes missconduct or something and nobody speaks about it.

Take Flyers vs Senators (I think that was that game). They make a new record. 419minutes(!) for fighting, slashing, missconducts, delay in game and much more.

It was never so high since 1981. And nobody talk about that.

Fighting and ice-hockey, these two will never seperate from each other.

Oh, and the season in my country is almost over. Only best of five, but the team that I support is not in that :(

Salute

Dutchy

Sorry to hear that your team isn't in the finals, bye god I pray the Leafs win the Cup this year.

I almost cried last year, and my team (Toronto) didn't even win. :(

Hockey is a great game, the best of games IMO. I've never felt so happy being on the ice.... never, nothing compares to playing in a hockey game.

I have a cap of the Toronto Meaple Leafs. A friend of mine was for work in Canada and he bought one for me. I wear it always by ice-hockey games. So I am a little Leafs supporter, but a bigger Detroit Red Wings supporter.

It was a great game of Heerenveen-Tilburg. It was overtime, P.S. and Heerenveen had lost that. So Tilburg sit in the best of five against Amsterdam.

Heerenveen had win a cup this season. They won the coup of the Low Lands. They were the best of the Netherlands and Belgium. B)

Salute

Dutchy

Hmm... and here I thought all the Toronto Maple Leafs fans were local. :rolleyes:

Pretty cool stuff.

I'm sorry to bust yalls bubble but I'm a CAPS fan!! I love to watch a good hockey match and therefore my opinion in bias,so I have refrained from posting on this is issue but I will say this..I'm seen people carried off on stratchers from football games from cheap shots and batters getting hit by pitchers who try to"back them off the plate"and getting hit by a 90+ mph fastball,for teh most part hockey is a great sport and yes theres fights but if you really watch a match theres not as much fighting as there is great skating,and fast paced end to end action.

Dag, like you know what your talking about...... :unsure:"note a hint of sarcasm there." :D

They can beat each other to death for all I really care. ;) I just don't watch it due to the violence and you know me bud. This thread started over a cheap shot that in the real world would land you in prison for Felonious assault and battery and likely attempted murder. To attack somebody from behind as he did is actually pretty cowardly.

Now as I said earlier. To each their own until you stick it in my face. Last post on the subject. :ph34r:

Ya slickwilli, last time I was in Sunrise (North Miami) for a Leafs at Panthers game, there were probably 10,000 people there, atleast 60% were wearing blue and white, I was probably the only American in my section wearing a Leafs jersey, the Canadians were a little baffled when I told them I was a Floridian.

Oh Dagger, the Caps slowly working their way to the bottom of the Eastern Conference, but hey atleast they have a really low team salary since they've traded everyone except for Kolzig. :lol::lol::lol:

And for Chaingun, when anyone plays any sport they are then subject to the rules of the game, and should not be governed by outside laws. This is why they make us sign waivers and crap, getting rid of liability and saving the rights of sports to govern themselves.

Like I said nope no more posts........ My thoughts are out there and you can't change them. lol.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree and go on about livin.

"waivers" don't release a student athlete from criminal prosecution, they only release the school from civil liability if you get hurt. If you break someones neck during a game or even worse kill them from those injuries that waiver doesn't mean jack except that the school will be covered. You however would certainly be prosecuted for at least manslaughter and then on to civil court for all the lawsuits from the victims family.

Sooner or later some judge will draw a line for athletes as far as criminal law goes and you might see somebody prosecuted for the same thing that happened last week.

Thought I'd just throw this pic in, maybe Seawolf will even get a kick out of it. :lol:

More FSU Hockey picks like this one here, http://www.sportsatlanta.net/icehockey.shtml just scroll down for the games that have us in them (should be 2 vs UGA, 1 vs GT, and 1 vs the Gators)

post-5-1080945979_thumb.jpg

Edited by snapple2993

Hey snapple, got a question. What division are you guys? Division I hockey? and do you guys have a schedule up for next year?

I wish we were division I. We fall under the Division III category, but we play teams of Division II quality. Georgia Tech has had a program for almost 30 years, and Georgia is definatly up to DII standards. They went all the way to the championship game for nationals, but lost to Calvin College (some Michigan school). Needless to say they kicked our ass the 2 times we played them.

Thing about college hockey is that there are not many DI schools, because the NCAA has to stay competetive with the Major Junior leagues of Canada, and the Elite leagues of Europe.

Saddly there is no ice in Tallahassee anymore, not since the ECHL's Tigershark's left a few years ago (mainly because the Tallahassee Civic Center is run by pricks). So we dont practice often, while teams like UGA, GT, U. of South Florida, and U. Central Florida all have atleast 3-4 practices a week. And since they have home ice, they get sponsors (that UGA guy has a Willy Wonka patch on his shoulder). The sponsors pay for the ice and all the other good stuff (notice we wear black pants, helmets, gloves and stuff, and they have full uniforms).

Our seasons start in October, and end in February or March.

I guess you could say that Division III anything is not much more than a travel team, since we dont get much support from the school and have to go out and hustle for money.