Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Map idea

Been seeing alot of work done on maps latly so thought what do we need to help us when we get lost in our MP flights, detailed maps are fine if the sim is spot on but we know thats not the case, so how about a grid system like in the war.I've started messing with it and this is just a rough sample of what could be done,so please let me know what you think.

Red Dog I love the idea. I'm quite bad at navigational directions. "he's east." east of where? "east of me" where are you? "good question" LOL serriously, very simmilar to actual conversation over TS.

My only suggestion would have to be smaller grids. Or maybe a grid inside a grid. Like letters A-Z inside each numbered grid. I only say this as right now box "9" in your example map coveres the area from Lille to Douai, Aras and Lens. That's a lot of area for just one grid section.

But I would use something of the like. NIce work.

MAN..........I could have used one of those the other night!!! I was as lost as last years Easter eggs!!!!!!

Smaller grids sound good. I support it.

Cheers boy's, i'll work on it some more.

First thing i change is the scale like Mack say's, i'll go for 7 miles sq, this way the Tac should cover the whole grid area. Salute.gif

This reminds me of the old "Murph's Maps" we used in wars in RB3D. They really helped the navigation, the grid over a more detaild map, like the one that just surfaced on the General forum may be the ticket. I will have to do some investigatin' and playin".

Beard

Regrouping after an engagement, especially a big one, can be very problematic. And the OFF map is, to quote one of my favorite lines from the first Pirates of the Carribean movie, "more of a guideline" than a reliable navigational reference. In fact my opinion of it can be seen in the third post here: My linkhttp://forum.combatace.com/topic/50170-working-on-an-alternate-map/. While your grid would be useful and quicker than the system we now use ("I'm just east of the top of the first L in Lille"), Red Dog, I don't think it would necessarily be more accurate and it would still require referring to the in-game map. I'm thinking of toying around with the map in the above post this weekend and seeing if it helps landmark-based navigation significantly. If so, it might be worth adopting for our online campaigns. If Red Dog's grid system is adopted, either on a temporary or permanent basis, I would make a suggestion or two to help reduce the size of each grid.

First, use an alpha-numeric system to identify each grid. That is letters for north-south reference and numbers for east-west, or vice-versa. Each grid would then have a designation, such as C6, or F10. With that you could probably reduce each grid to four or five miles square, which would easily get you within visual range of a common ground landmark.

Second is a secondary number to indicate where within a grid you are, based on the keypad, such as was used in Red Baron (and possibly other games I haven't played). For any who might not be familiar with this method, the first number indicates the grid and if the second number is a 1 it would mean the lower left, or southwest, corner of that grid: a 6 would mean center-east, a 5 is right smack in the middle, etc. So the dot indicating Douai would be 9-3, Albert would be 15-4, and so on. Using that system you could parse the map into 10-mile blocks and the secondary number would cut them into sections slightly more than three miles square.

The grid system would be great. I'm always asking if you guys are on the D of Dioua most of the time you are but you can be 7 miles north of it and you can be 4-5 miles west sometimes. This grid system would help me a lot we could be saying " I'm in the upper left hand corner of the 9th square." is stead of north of the D.

Edited by Av8er

Thats the spirt chap's, if we all have a go then we are taking a step in the right direction so keep your idea's coming. clapping.gif

this might have to be done for all the periods in cfsww1 scenery

the map getting displayed is based on the period...switch periods..and the game loads a new map...

I tried out the map that wakdamar put up the other day, and it worked..it worked in the game,,it worked in mp.

then i happened to change the overide date for a mission i was building (wanted to get the sun on the horizon furhter south,,,it didn work)..

anyways,,the map reverted back to a stock map cause the game pulled a new map from the new period i had selected..

Edited by sitting_duck

Yes Stump all the maps would need doing.I've got the grid scale down to about 7nm.

anyway off to work now so have a good one.

Where did you find your horizon line gauge? I have been looking and can't find it.

The grid is a fantastic idea guys! That is what we use when flying IL2 online and you cant beat it. Simply call out a grid coordinate and everyone knows where you are at or you know exactly where someone else is. Now if we can get one of our computer savy guys to work it out - hint, hint.good.gif

Grid map mk2:

Each of the main boxes within the grid contain 9 smaller one's

1 2 3 , so by calling the letter and number you could i.d your location to within 8nm.

4 5 6

7 8 9

This is the 1917+6 map we are currently flying.Ready to use if we want.

I think that is exactly the way it was set up for online play in RB3D. It made it very easy to keep track of your location because the terrain was so simple. After you flew it a few times you could recognize the area by what the target looked like. Also you could count on the roads and rivers to match up with the map.

Beard

I forgot about this......Anyway you can download the map if you wish it's in the download forum.You will need to rename the originals if you use it.

red dog, i already have one of yours in there,,,is this a new one?

No Duck it's the same one....