Have WOE and really like it and interested in WOV. However, now WOx 2 is out and the ThirdWire site doesn't seem to tell me much about the difference other than that v2 runs on vista. Are there other improvements/additions?

Ever since getting the Gen-2 series, I haven't really played the Gen-1. There's probably a list of improvements, but the stuff I noticed most of all is the enormous increase in frame rates (Gen-1 doesn't like ATI as much as it does nVidia, while Gen-2 has run damn well for me on my ATI card), and excellent shading as well as smoother rendering of the models.

Some of this seems to have come along with later patches; at the moment I'm running at December 2009 level. The game looks and plays better than ever. Overall structuring is friendlier for Vista, and adding/editing weapons no longer takes an editor.

I'll have to let someone else get more into the specifics of what's changed.

Generally, what I've seen is:

1. Improved cockpits.

2. Improved graphics.

3. Merged install capability with other TW V2 titles.

If you do not have version 1 of the sim then version 2 is probably worth it. That being said, V2 of WOV leaves you without a stock A-6 to fly (granted, one can be added on fairly easily)

As a V1 owner and an XP user with a older machine I don't really feel I got much for the upgrade to V2. I can't really enjoy the graphics improvements with my rig, for instance. The improved cockpits are nice.

Another consideration is add-ons. Some support the V2 sims, other don't.

The problem with the addons is just solved by digging in the SF2 portion of the KB. After ten minutes you can have an SF2 compliant addon, but even then you can run old SF1 stuff on it, just none of the "cool" features that SF2 allows you to do. Reason most people don't convert much is that it seems hard, which it isn't. Another thing, which admittedly got me, is that sheer number, so every so often I'll drop it in SF2, and adapt it as I go along, and been lazy on uploading some of them.

Generally, what I've seen is:

1. Improved cockpits.

2. Improved graphics.

3. Merged install capability with other TW V2 titles.

you can add some more accurate rwr (a really needed feature)

a userlist.ini (long requested feature for the merged installs)

some refined FM

destroyed ground plane model

some refined ai too

mmmhh i should find the time to write the article i promise on c6 :oops: (some real time lazyness holidays and committement prevent me to do this)

to my opinion sf2 series is really above the previous one (and not talking about the far more fps (no need for emb dll now)

just some regrets, maybe we need to have a sf2 seaharrier :grin: (no just joking.....probably a matter of time)

Edited by Murphy'S

Is this poor bloke going to have to purchase version 2 before he finds out it has no multiplay support whatsoever? I'd think he should be made aware of this BEFORE he buys in to it.

I saw this thread and thought I'd ask if anyone had opinions on wingman performance.

I've heard TK wants the player to work for it and not rely on his wingmen, but, wow are they dumb.

Thx.

Smokey

Lt. Cater is a good expert on wingman management, but I tend to use wingnuts so far for CAS missions only and sometimes... I want to hit Y and smoke him myself... But on the whole I tolerate them for just that mission and Armed Recon. I don't need much intelligence, just enough to hit a target so I can get a success and RTB. I wish TK would improve that aspect. Alot of people swear by them, I just swear at them.

wingmen are ok as a spare set of rounds(missles or bombs) when your out. but they like to get into trouble alot in my experience and if you load another terrain like Snowynorway with mountains in it, just leave em at home

as for differences i have WOE in both Gens on my laptop(it helps with converting sometimes) and while im not as technical in describing its like watching TV in the 80's(WOE) or today on HDTV(SF2E).

Guest Eject

Have WOE and really like it and interested in WOV. However, now WOx 2 is out and the ThirdWire site doesn't seem to tell me much about the difference other than that v2 runs on vista. Are there other improvements/additions?

Wow, wow, wait a sec. If I should then decide to buy the Gen 2, what about running it in WIN 7 instead? Please, enlighten me as some guys already discussed using between WIN 7, VISTA, and XP Pro. Help me please. My LameDuck ACER notebook of two years is using ATI card as well, yet runs quite OK with XP Pro patch2. My HDD is 80GB and with 1.5 DDR2

Thanks

Guest Eject

Lt. Cater is a good expert on wingman management, but I tend to use wingnuts so far for CAS missions only and sometimes... I want to hit Y and smoke him myself...  But on the whole I tolerate them for just that mission and Armed Recon.  I don't need much intelligence, just enough to hit a target so I can get a success and RTB.  I wish TK would improve that aspect.  Alot of people swear by them, I just swear at them.

I am still with the old WOE (with Oct 2008 update). Re my WingMan, when I was out (dead), he always made me wish to punch him as he WASTED most of his dogfighting times, WITHOUT shooting his still MANY A-A (short range and long range) at the obviously enemie within range. Insted he attempted to chase one of them, get closer and tried to drop it with his 20/23/30mm cannons! And he MISSED!!

The enemy next made such a clever movement, and all of a sudden got behind my silly WingMan! And, boom he was RIP!

Sometime, when I was having a tail who shot at me with his cannon, I could manage to free myself from him, even could break his lock a couple of times (this really had happened with our ex F-16 TNI-AU Indonesia v. an US NAVY F-18 3-4 years ago over the Eastern part of Indonesia). But this Wing Man of mine, had no fighting spirit! It was in Single Mission.

Btw, how many times have u guys found out that when u asked or gave the instruction to ur WingMan to smash ur enemy Primary Target (ground or jet), and got his NEGATIVE response in a Single Mission??

Thanks ErikJ, daddyaiplanes, and Eject....Sounds like Wingies are as annoying as ever.

This is one of the reasons I haven't been as active with the sim (well that and my kid) as of late....

All you want your wingie to do was hose off a couple of sparrows before the merge and he'd totally go inert.

It just heightened the frustration factor to the Nth degree, to the point where I just didn't really want to

go through all the effort of doing a new install, getting it tweaked to where I like it, only to get my

butt handed to me whenever some schmo in a Mig-17 got me into a one circle fight and my wingman couldn't be bothered

to either not die ridiculously quickly or maybe *gasp!* like do something silly like cover my aforementioned butt!

Run-on sentences and I'm ranting.....I'm going to bed.

Later,

Smokey

Smokey, it's not all bad.

I've been telling my secong wing to free range vs either Air or Ground (depending on mission) and they do it, and they get kills. Often I will tell my #2 to attack my target, just so I can pre-occupy said target a little better. Sometimes he does seem to go off into lala-land, but quite often I find myself competing with him to get the kill.

And they do use missles (and bombs). I hear lots of "winchester" calls too (normally from other flights I think, but that's still AI friendlies).

When I find a cloud of enemy, I want other friendlies with me, even if all they do is serve as targets for the enemy, they still split the fire. lol But all in all I've been finding the wingmen to be quite useful and "satisfying" (not too good, but not worthless or frustrating either).

[i have to say this is most true on ground strikes, a flight of 4 of us will simply obliterate the entire area around the primary target, and I will use #2 as spare ammo, directing him to targets, and he goes after them - calling out, "in hot" and "off", mixed with frequent "Shack!"'s. It's really rahter fun to think of all the devestation we end up causing as a unit. hehe grin.gif ]

Well usually you have to target the enemy, using T (or R if Red Crown calls it for you). Once you got him "targeted" you can send your wingie after him and hopefully dust him off. I've had a Mig-35 on my butt in Iraq and I was trying to get him, I think I was Winchester or something) and he wouldn't engage, after repeated "Cover my six" calls. If you use them right they can work for you, it's just getting used to their idosyncracies is sometimes frustrating. Thats why on CAS missions I give my wingie Mavericks, so he doesn't miss and expend all of the bombs on one pass. Sometimes he's got a JDAM left over due to distance missions, but overall missiles are more useful than bombs. I just don't trust my wingman with them.

Edited by EricJ

Yeah, I always have an enemy targeted (air or ground) due to the issues with visibility at a distance in this sim.

I haven't noticed if they drop all their iron in one pass or not, I know they keep searching and destroying things, and they usually have something available if I direct them to a target, so I just assumed they were being judicious, just like me. dntknw.gif

Iron bombs so far no... it's the guided variety they seem to want to level the whole Earth with, so no bombas for them. I don't take them on strike missions due to well, lack of ability to handle terrain of the mountainous kind (which has been a whole theme in my sim career). I have seen AI bomb drops of the continous kind in the Afghanistan from SEAD missions but that's about it.

Hey maybe I can help with wingies dropping everything in the first pass!

Now, I don't know about the second generation SF/WO, but the 1st gen all you have do

do is edit an ini....

I think it's in the aircraftobject.ini....you can input a salvo size of 1 to whatever for whatever kind of mission

you are flying.

I guess as far as bitching about wingies go one just has to realize that, as with any sim,

you just have to make due with the limitations...

Later,

Smokey

True enough and that's why we fly how we do. I know when to bring a wingie and when not to, so agreed :good: