Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

Seismic Activity

It would need to be "semisubmersible" with plenty of snorkels and areas above the water as well, because humans need sunlight. It has been proven that extended habitation with no sunlight causes mental and physical health problems.

The Northeast region of the 'States is considered a geologically stable area, yet we've had our share of 'quakes, the vast majority of which have been quite minor. However, we have had two events over 7.0 during the last two centuries, and there are some geologists who feel that we're overdue:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/damage.htm

Now another shake, 6.1 Richter, near Port-Au-Prince (capital of Haiti)...

...I mean, just think of it - over 70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water bodies - probably even more so when the ice caps melt.

Ok, bro, check this out. I know this is going to sound hard to believe, but if the ice caps melt, water levels aren't going to get any higher. Infact, they might get lower. Doubt it, do an experiment then. Fill up a glass of water, then put ice in it. Mark where the water level is at. Wait for the ice to melt. Go back and check the water level. It will either be the same, or most likely to be lower. Still doubt it because a glass is just a small object, then go with something bigger. The ice caps are already consuming the volume of water than they're in. How can melting increase the volume of water? It can only increase if something else is added into the water that's not already there. Sure, the inland glaicers melting run off might add some more water into the oceans, but do you really thing that the run off would even be enough to make a difference considering how much it would have to take to make all the oceans to rise? Have to remember, a large part of ice isn't water, but air. So once that's depleted, the run off won't seem to be much from where it came from.

Ok, bro, check this out. I know this is going to sound hard to believe, but if the ice caps melt, water levels aren't going to get any higher. Infact, they might get lower. Doubt it, do an experiment then. Fill up a glass of water, then put ice in it. Mark where the water level is at. Wait for the ice to melt. Go back and check the water level. It will either be the same, or most likely to be lower. Still doubt it because a glass is just a small object, then go with something bigger. The ice caps are already consuming the volume of water than they're in. How can melting increase the volume of water? It can only increase if something else is added into the water that's not already there. Sure, the inland glaicers melting run off might add some more water into the oceans, but do you really thing that the run off would even be enough to make a difference considering how much it would have to take to make all the oceans to rise? Have to remember, a large part of ice isn't water, but air. So once that's depleted, the run off won't seem to be much from where it came from.

I've read the answer to that question somewheres where a certain law of physics mandated that something warm be larger than something cold - I don't mean freezing, just something cold. Therefore, according to that law, all the ocean water, if the temperature would rise as a whole, would occupy more space rather than the cold water. Wether it'd be that much more to reach above the level taking into account the presence of floating ice exerting pressure on the water surface is another question though...

I've read the answer to that question somewheres where a certain law of physics mandated that something warm be larger than something cold - I don't mean freezing, just something cold. Therefore, according to that law, all the ocean water, if the temperature would rise as a whole, would occupy more space rather than the cold water. Wether it'd be that much more to reach above the level taking into account the presence of floating ice exerting pressure on the water surface is another question though...

We're talking about extreme/special conditions and situations. This would work if for instance a cup has only so much water in it that putting a large chunk of ice does not change the water level... i.e., if you have only a drop of water in the cup, adding ice to it won't change the water level. But if the ice melts, then of course you have a much higher water level. The oceans are definately not a drop in a cup, and compared to how much water there is in the oceans, the ice caps and the glaciers are definately not a huge chunk of ice in that cup. So the melting of the glacier ice and the ice caps will not make a significant difference. It very well may lower the water level. Malibu would no longer be beach front property... you might have to drive another mile to get to the beach... that is if all the ice melted away. So, I'm not too concerned about being submerged by the pacific if the carbon-monoxide fumes of my 02 Camaro Z-28 completly melts the ice caps, causing the earth to be a complete tropical planet. :grin:

Check this out, over the course of several decades (in which I got to live through the past three), there has been a significatn decrease in polar ice cap mass. Being a life long resident in Southern California, I've been to the beaches many, many times. In all of those times, I've never noticed the ocean waters submerging a significant portion of the beach that I had visited in the past. Infact, I can still go down as far as used to go as a child before the surf starts reaching the shore. Based off of my own personal experiences, I have to say we have nothing to fear if all the ice melts away. What we do need to fear is another ice age. Ice expands in greater size than the water it used to be... mainly because ice isn't just composed of only water. It's also composed of air... a lot of air. Do this experiment. Pour water in the ice cube tray (if you have a pre 1995 freezer). Take notice of how much space the water occupies in the cube slots. Now freeze that water in the freezer. Once frozen, pull it out and see how much larger of an area the ice occupies compared to the water that you placed in there before. It's significantly much larger. Of all the environmental things we should be concerned of, the number one is a global ice age. But the likelie hood of that happening again is also very remote... but it could happen if certain conditions are met.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Yeah, I know that ice takes up more space than the water from which it's converted from. Hence why you shouldn't put glass bottles in the freezer for too long unless you intend to retrieve them shattered. Oh, but if an ice age should occur I wouldn't be too worried. So far according to geological data all the ice ages have stopped their freezing effect at the Pyrenees, and between that and my country there's still Spain, so I can remain cozily where I am... :tomato:

@ Capitaine Vengeur: Of course one would have to turn to modern submarine technology for that. I'm no expert but besides air regeneration I think there's also electrolysis possible to gain oxygen from water. Of course that requires a massive amount of energy but the ideal powerplant for an underwater floating city would be a nuclear fusion plant. The light of that could even be distributed through light tubes to provide illumination.

But acknowledging JediMaster's comment, it should indeed be semi-submersible (when the sea is calm and the weather good, why not go for a swim? :biggrin: ). And whilst we're at it, the top should be covered in solar panels, just as backups, with batteries for storage capacity... :good:

The ice over the North Pole is on water, so yes, it can all disappear and the sea levels won't change. Most glaciers are so small they would have little effect (other than many are the sources of rivers that life and people and crops depend on).

However, the ice on Greenland and Antarctica is actually on land, and if it melts will add to the volume of water in the ocean. Especially when it's over a mile thick in places.

As an aside, during the last ice age sea level was several feet lower than it is now thanks to the ice over northern Europe, Asia, and North America.

Edited by JediMaster

However, the ice on Greenland and Antarctica is actually on land, and if it melts will add to the volume of water in the ocean. Especially when it's over a mile thick in places.

I still don' think it would make that much of a differenece for us to notice. You have to factor in evaporation too as well. It's like putting a small ice cube in a large bucket of water. No volume difference. Now, if something, say the size of the moon, were to go kaplunk in the Atlantic, then yeah, there would be a noticeable difference. :grin:

Edited by serverandenforcer

Now, if something, say the size of the moon, were to go kaplunk in the Atlantic, then yeah, there would be a noticeable difference. grin.gif

I knew they should have nuked the b*tch

It would need to be "semisubmersible" with plenty of snorkels and areas above the water as well, because humans need sunlight. It has been proven that extended habitation with no sunlight causes mental and physical health problems.

With the evolving technology, such bases could have large commons domes diffusing light, all of the solar nutriments needed, and even the 3D illusion to be outside in the open. I agree, these needs are known for long, with empirical solutions according to the available technology. In the biggest forts of the Maginot Line I have visited (built in the 1930s), there were solariums under medical control to provide solar nutriments to soldiers expected to stay besieged underground for months, possibly years.

Bah, I haven't seen the sun in about a month and a half up here and I'm fine. :rofl:

Seriously, though, that is a good point. Of course there are ways around it, like our "happy lamps", which generate wavelengths of light necessary for the body to produce Vitamins D, C, and Melatonin (at least) - I haven't used mine, but people can be either more or less susceptable to lack of sunlight, and some folks up here are DEPRESSED.