Sign in to follow this  
Capitaine Vengeur

But ! Who the hell is Average Joe ?!

Recently, in the topic "Views on the War against terror" on this forum, there has been an interesting (IMHO) controversy involving Julhelm about the use of the terms "Joe Sixpack" opposing to "Average Joe". In passing, Julhelm revealed that in his country (Sweden?), the surname for an Average Joe is a "Svensson".

We often see on this forum many various representatives from the most honourable countries in the World. So, I'd find it very instructive to learn what surnames other peoples use to describe their local Average Joe and Joe Sixpack, and possibly why. I'm especially interested in my own neighbours of Germany, Italy and Spain, but as many countries as possible would be fine (I'm also curious about Greece, Turkey, Russia, Israel or Japan, amongst others). Thanks for participating.

In France, we seem to have much fewer of these surnames than in the Anglo-Saxon countries. The currently most used surnames for Average Joe or Joe Public are simply "Monsieur/Madame Toutlemonde" (Mr/Mrs Everybody), or "Le citoyen Lambda" (Citizen Lambda, i.e. the common standing biped with the same two legs as the Greek letter), which I think is also used elsewhere.

Also, the surname here for a young slangy gang-gathering streetboy would be a "Zyva!" (C'm on!). And the most used surnames for a noisy, bad-educated, racist and totally disreputed individual are "Dupont-Lajoie" (sounds like Happy Dupont), or "Bidochon" (translatable as something like Meatard), from a local popular comic strip character with every attribute for the typical Frenchy fatbastard: beret, moustache, cigarette end, paunch, braces, slippers, lazy walk, and bad temper but spineless nature. Of course, not all of the Frenchmen actually look like that... At least, not those under 50.

It's a generalization for the proverbial 'man on the street'.

In the Netherlands: "Jan met de pet" (John with the cap) = man in the street, the old standard low wage worker, always wearing a '30's style a cap

Hou doe,

Derk good.gif

In the Czech Republic the absolutely average guy would be "Honza Novák". Simply because Honza (Jan(John) in formal usage) is the most common name and Novák is the most common surname.

To describe the average pub regular - older, low income worker, drinking beer, maybe playng cards with similar characters and definetly swearing about politics, prices etc. - in the same context as the French "Bidochon", you could use name like "Pepa Vomáčka".

A guy from Bavaria told me(long time ago), that in Germany "Hanz" is the term for blonde "poster" german and "Helmut" is the average german in general. Can our German members confirm this?

Here in Spain, "Pepe Pérez" would be a rough equivalent. Pepe is for José-spanish for Joseph, kind of "Joe", and Pérez is a common surname. Or Mr Rodriguez. All those surnames ended with EZ (like "son" in English, "Mac" in Scotch, or "OV" in russian)

Here in Spain, "Pepe Pérez" would be a rough equivalent. Pepe is for José-spanish for Joseph, kind of "Joe", and Pérez is a common surname. Or Mr Rodriguez. All those surnames ended with EZ (like "son" in English, "Mac" in Scotch, or "OV" in russian)

Joe the Plummer

GI Joe

Just your average Joe.

The name Joe is used probably because it's a very common name, and has a nice common sound to it.. unlike 'Average Mike' or 'Average Tom'.

It's just slang...

Like this.... although it's a childish cartoon... but it ties in all the slang we tend to use nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot92Yfovvvg

Joe Bloggs in the UK..as Craig says :grin:

Or Fanny Craddock in certain areas

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

A couple older ones from the states: "John Q. Public" and "John Q. Taxpayer" - not sure how much we use these anymore; we seem to have gone over to "Joe" (as listed above, Joe Plumber/Average Joe.)

Let's not forget 'Joe Bag of Doughnuts'