Sign in to follow this  
HotNess

thank god for car boots

as a brit,its a great tradition to go out on a sunday to car boot sales,and troll around in mud looking at other people crap that they want rid of so much they will take 50p for just about everything...well,atlast,despite it all i finally came across the awsom french dvd "Sky Fighters"..still in shrink wrap,and at a bargain of only £3.50...so now i am happy as a bunny girl,but Boom..to top it off,some dude who clearly looked like he was his own father and his mum was his sister had 5 of them little die cast model aircraft that were given away with a magazine not so many years ago..(you know the mags,the first is only £1.50,then they jump to £4.99 and dissapear after 3 issues only to have to subscribe to them and then realise there 375 issues to collect and there all reprints of ones from years ago anyway and why im going off my subject i havent a clue)...anyway..but anyway...i got all 5 for £4.00...god bless car boots x

xx v xx

Hey Hotness, I know where you are coming from. :drinks: I love the car booties. We have a really big one up at old RAF Helmswell in Lincolnshire. Last year I picked up 2 air combat sims still sealed and new for a quid each. As I collect air combat sims, it was a lucky purchase. They were Pacific Air War and F19 Stealth Fighter, both as new and made by my favourite sim makers.......Microprose.

Like you, I am a fan of yesteryears sims but what was your all time favourite air combat sim? Mine was F16 Combat Pilot without a doubt. I first played it on the Commodore c64, then the Atari ST and then an Amiga and finally on a 486 dx pc. What a sim. Action, strategy and dynamic campaign where you chose the targets for the aircraft squadrons to attack and in the mean time, the enemy were doing their best to take your bases and bridges out etc. Still for me, the all time best air combat sim. I also loved Flight of the Intruder, a real classic and I still have a new boxed version complete with book and cassette narration. Flight of the old dog (megafortress) is also a favourite of mine, as was Tornado and its Desert Storm addon. Great days eh? I still live them ofcourse. I have two retro PC's, an amiga a500 and a commdore C64 just so I can. :yikes::salute:

Here are some memories for you:

493.jpg96-1.jpgf-16_combat_pilot_01.pngf-16_combat_pilot_02.pngf16.jpgf-19_stealth_fighter_01.png51EAPWAPN2L_SL500_AA280_.jpgflight_of_the_intruder_01.pngflight_of_the_intruder_03.pngF117A.jpgmegafortress_01-1.jpgtornado_01.jpg

ohhhhh yummy stuff lol...them graphics are awsom lol,i was just looking for an old post of mine maybe a year back but cant find it,where i uploaded photos of my olds collection,i have about 25 to 30 in my loft still with all the bits n bobs in them alot of microprose and janes ones,but flight of the intruder i loved..and megafortress,which i actually owned for about a month when it came out and never played it lol i started and with A.C.E and A.C.E 2.(split screen multiplay lol)..and as bad as it was i loved the wire frame top gun .lol,i always remeber hours n hours with the first Falcon sims,and cant remember which but when that F-16 combat came out there was another one at same time,very similar game..if i can find the pic i took of em all ill send you it,or the thread on the forum...theres so many i enjoyed...and i got another post in pub about missing big box things,and its true,i just felt so more excited at the old stuff,but as i said in that post,you got what you got in the box and it was perfect,you didnt want more...but now mode and tinternet are out,seems all you want when you get a new sim is more more more more..mods mods mods mods...and i blame all these mod makers for being too damn talented,they tease you with what they can do,then just as your settled in and think yes..finally got what i want..they do it again make something better that you couldnt dream would be better and make you drool all over again ..LOL.

xx V xx

Do I miss those heady days when the PC ruled? Hell yes.

I have most combat flight sims since the beginning and I really do miss those big boxes and fat manuals. I still have them ofcourse. My main PC (this one) can run most of them because I have a hard drive switcher that enables me to boot to a win98 drive, a XP drive and my Vista Ultimate drive. I also built a retro PC with twin 3DFX cards in SLI and a Pentium 500 cpu with MS DOS 6.22 and win 95 for all my older PC sims. I also have an AMIGA a1200, a500 and Commodore 64 for the older retro combat sims. :salute:

Hell yes I miss those days.

DSCF2221.jpg

DSCF2220.jpg

DSCF2219.jpg

DSCF2218.jpg

DSCF2216.jpg

fintruder-c.gif

4075.jpg

You mean this thread? :drinks::grin::salute: I really really do love all air combat sims. Am I strange Hotness?

Dogzero1'''''''''''''''''out.

Edited by Dogzero1

Boyee-0, is this thread dating some folks, so I'll just dive right in to the deep end. :grin:

I recall each and every one of those titles, and it was Tornado that drug me, kicking and

acreaming, out of the old AMiga world and into the PC world.

The C=64 naturally progressed into the Amy 500, which I still own. Man, did I love that

beastie.

I used to have all the boxes, similar to your collection, Dog-0, but the threatened bodily

harm were they not disposed of. I kept the actual games, but the excellent over-sized boxes

are a thing of the past.

Not much in the way of monetary gain to be elicited from cool old computer stuff, but I sure

do like them...

:good:

The over sized boxes are what made buying a PC game so much fun. It was like getting something that was bigger and better than a console game. It was the top of the line of video gaming. Everyone else was to be looked down upon... "Ah, you have After Burner II for your Sega Genesis... that's nice... I got Fleet Defender for my PC!" :grin:

Am I strange Hotness?

Dogzero1'''''''''''''''''out.

ahh..i went rumaging in my loft again last night,and found my boxed su25 sturmovik...god the graphics are so bad but they were fantastic back then,i wouldnt say your normal as i have most same as you,so if your not normal it means im not either lol...i also found some joysticks i never knew i had,and a folder of my photos from many moons ago of my dad and grandad at the roll out of tornado adv at warton bae,and some of the ACA which became the eurofighter,now on that note i also when get chance ask my dad if he knows..but anybody any idea why when developing the ACA into the EF2000..did it switch from twin tails to a single tail ?...when i get chance i will put them pics on here....oohh ohh ohh i also found my DiD F-22..now that one i did love,there,s never been a good f-22 since then ...good god looking back its no wonder with all these sims i had that boyfriends never lasted long lol..xx

XX V XX

It has to do with the combined effects of area of the fin(s) being adequate for yaw stability as well as whether you have any yaw authority at high AOA. Generally speaking the wider the fuselage, the more likely you need twin tails to keep it from losing yaw at high AOA.

It has to do with the combined effects of area of the fin(s) being adequate for yaw stability as well as whether you have any yaw authority at high AOA. Generally speaking the wider the fuselage, the more likely you need twin tails to keep it from losing yaw at high AOA.

..Ok..in english for me lol..so it wouldnt fly as well or just wasnt needed as its not really a wide fuselage ?.

..(well it not wide in comparison to f-18/f-15 etc...also why dont they consider how prettier it actually is like this lol )

aca.jpg

xx V xx

Edited by HotNess

..Ok..in english for me lol..so it wouldnt fly as well or just wasnt needed as its not really a wide fuselage ?.

..(well it not wide in comparison to f-18/f-15 etc...also why dont they consider how prettier it actually is like this lol )

aca.jpg

xx V xx

Yep, it was prettier. Really smart. I saw this at Warton when I was there for a meeting once (RAF/BAES meeting) and now I live right under the flightpath of the Typhoon on it's daily sorties. Noisy buggers. :drinks::salute:

now I live right under the flightpath of the Typhoon on it's daily sorties. Noisy buggers. :drinks::salute:

That will be my brother then lol ..if you ever see him in locals,just slap him from me

xx V xx

Honestly, I don't know why they switched to a single fin over the dual ones, especially as canted-outwards ones like those are inherently more stealthy than a single straight-up one. Unless it was cheaper somehow?

I suppose the fuselage wasn't wide enough to blank out a single tail so they went that way despite its hit on the stealth. Notice that the single tail is much larger than those because the area of the single fin has to roughly equal that of the twin ones.

I also notice the canards on that early design were much higher on the side of the nose than the EF2K's are, so perhaps by lowering them to where they did they created vortices that carry across the back to the fin and keep it working well at high AOA? Without seeing some info on wind tunnel tests at high AOA I couldn't say one way or the other.

when the ACA was designed,nobody really wanted much interest in it,the uk government only put a small amount of cash into it,BAe then made the EAP,it lost its twin tails as the main rear fusalage and tail came straight from off a tornado,in tests against the eap and aca shape,the eap won in most areas in various tests,as jedi said..wind tuinnels and computer simulations etc..plus as one BAe designer once said,the EAP is the ACA but on steroids,to fit the amount of technology inside it and the amout of air 2 air and air 2 ground,it just had to be beefed up,and i agree the ACA is stunning to look at ,but it was to sleek,thin,bit of a lightweight to say lol...and it was planned i belive that italian engines were to be used in ACA...but then as we all know,when it went from EAP to EFA..costs just started going crazy as they wanted more more more for the efa to be able to do,which i think money well spent myself,as its fan-bloody-tastic aircraft,the aca would have kept cost down but would be more comparable to grippen

You're right, I just noticed how much smaller it is than the final bird. Sort of like the YF-17 -> F/A-18 progression there.