Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

A Question for OvS and the OFF Dev Team

I was wondering Ovs and crew, just how many hours a week are you still devoting to your 4+years long labor of love? It's clear over and over and over again that this has been a passion for you folks far more than a project, and hours don't really come into the equation when such is the case. But I wonder none-the-less, even after all the time already given, how much are you still committing to it on a weekly basis; just a rough estimate. Enquiring minds want to know. BTW, whatever it is, your efforts are amazed at and appreciated more than you'll ever know, and regardless of how much money you may ultimately make from this, it won't begin to match the outstanding work you have done. You Gents deserve to win a lottery; a big, BIG lottery.

LOL!

Well... it's not that cut and dry. In the winter, I spend a lot of time indoors anyway, so RL commitments figured in, I spend about 1-4 hours a day depending on the day. But keep in mind, I'm not looking at this from a business point of view. I love to paint these planes, and see what I can do with them. So much like some people spend hours building models, painting pictures, making furniture... etc.. as a hobby, I do this. It relaxes me. I load my playlist of nice 70's Rush or Yes songs, you know, the 'drug unduced' ones that are 15min+ compilations with a story and all that... and drift off into my hangar to paint my plane. When I come out of the 'hangar', it's 2 hours later, and I am test flying what I made and having fun with it.

OvS

LOL!

Well... it's not that cut and dry. In the winter, I spend a lot of time indoors anyway, so RL commitments figured in, I spend about 1-4 hours a day depending on the day. But keep in mind, I'm not looking at this from a business point of view. I love to paint these planes, and see what I can do with them. So much like some people spend hours building models, painting pictures, making furniture... etc.. as a hobby, I do this. It relaxes me. I load my playlist of nice 70's Rush or Yes songs, you know, the 'drug unduced' ones that are 15min+ compilations with a story and all that... and drift off into my hangar to paint my plane. When I come out of the 'hangar', it's 2 hours later, and I am test flying what I made and having fun with it.

OvS

Snap! :grin:

Well, right there OvS you've illustrated my very point about this being a passion far more than a project. I completely understand about getting lost in something you truly love to do, and I've done the same thing on the very few OFF planes I've done a "custom" paint job for. Always a bit of shock when I'm finished and look at the clock only to discover that 3 or 4 hours have gone by.

Also, good choice of "working" music. cool.gif

Many thanks again OvS and all for making your passion our pleasure.

Cheers!

Lou

RAF_Louvert: Always a bit of shock when I'm finished and look at the clock only to discover that 3 or 4 hours have gone by.

Couldn't have sung a nicer ode to the OFF TEAM, Lou, but I join your's in mind.

Time flies, when you're skinning - I know that too well!

And I do it like you, OvS - put some good music on and have a fresh brewed coffee near me.

If you'd like something more recent than YES, but also long tunes, try ARCHIVE "Lights" -

a touching record. Here's part one of that piece:

But let me warn you; it starts subtle, and burns into your tracks like phosgenic ammo into canvas).

To me skinning makes feel like collecting some stuff. Always when i finish one skin ithought there is one more to collection. Hopefully never got everything done :) other wise it feels i have start do something else. I feel exited all the time when i see new pictures of aircrafts in skinning. I will make a skin of every possible photo if the a/c can be used in game. Other thing is to see old photos of aces and other pilots. It other thing what i kind of collect. But yes its passion and hobby. How else can we do this all the time :D lol

I think it will vary across the team and for sure vary during periods. Personally since 2005 just about every day, every free hour usually from early evening late into the early hours plus more weekends. Only recently with Christmas we had a short break and slowed down some but picking up the pace again now. In the few weeks before each release date we worked until 3-4am full 8 hour days there after a day job.

Not a lot of time left for personal life/family for sure. It's not something I'd recommend certainly not to get rich. Luckily my partner is a saint.

WM puts in more time than all of us, especially now and is also a whirlwind so does a lot more than we can do in the same time, we often accuse him of having 'clones'.

A big thanks to you guys for putting in all this time and giving us this great game to play !

OvS - Nothing like a little "Close to the Edge" for really getting into the swing of things - and I mean any thing!

GREAT choice of music, sir!

OvS - Nothing like a little "Close to the Edge" for really getting into the swing of things - and I mean any thing!

GREAT choice of music, sir!

Absolutely!!! Gates of Delirium... or better yet... The Revealing Science of God... and I am gone.. I'm in the zone...

:cool:

OvS

...and the live version of "And You and I" from YESSONGS...

I think it will vary across the team and for sure vary during periods. Personally since 2005 just about every day, every free hour usually from early evening late into the early hours plus more weekends. Only recently with Christmas we had a short break and slowed down some but picking up the pace again now. In the few weeks before each release date we worked until 3-4am full 8 hour days there after a day job.

Not a lot of time left for personal life/family for sure. It's not something I'd recommend certainly not to get rich. Luckily my partner is a saint.

WM puts in more time than all of us, especially now and is also a whirlwind so does a lot more than we can do in the same time, we often accuse him of having 'clones'.

wow. very impressing . knowing that we are often a bunch of crybabies who want things rather today than tomorrow, should make us feel bad now and think twice before complaining again that some fix or patch or whatever is delaying.

Amen to that, Creaghorn! Well said. :good:

Edited by Olham