Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

Advantages of FE2?

I have a somewhat basic question about FE2. What real advantages does it actually offer to someone running FE1 under WinXP with DX9?

I have to ask because I'm concerned, not at the cash cost of the new version, but at the "transactional cost" of installing FE2 then having to update it to the same level as my current installation of FE1, with its scores of flyable ac (all with improved FMs), four theatres of ops (all with full seasonal effects), enhanced SFX, sounds, menu screens, music etc etc. I'd really need to see some indispensable, cannot-do-without improvement before I move over - I doubt if I'm alone in this?

Have to confess that I didn't see such a drop-dead improvement in SFP2 or WOV2. Although I bought these I ended up sticking with my much-modded originals, I couldn't be bothered having to struggle with the inconvenient Vista-driven revised file structure coupled with the changes in some of the file formats.

Mike

If the modders start dropping FE1 like a hot potato then FE2 is the way to go. You may not see it now but it will go that way. TW will also not support FE1 anymore and all new patches are for the new series.

The SF2 series is the priority platform for modders because of the ease of modding (new folder structure is actually convenient in a modding standpoint) and the little enhancements in graphics and performance. It still does not have the amount of mods like SF1 but the quality is better because of all the little stuff that Thirdwire added under the hood. The SF2 Vietnam Air & Ground War expansion pack is a prime example of a "masterpiece" that surpasses SF1 era mods (in my opinion).

Edited by jomni

For WinXP and DX9, TK himself says right now there isn't any big reason to upgrade. It certainly is not anywhere near the functionality improvements that for example made going from WoE to SF2E a deal.

I think his main idea is to get all game platforms lined up on the same codebase again, make them easy install with the current Windows Versions and add some goodies along the way.

Why tell people with FEG they dont have to buy FE2 for the upgrade???? FEG is history already. No more patches, no more Expansion Packs etc, etc. If FE2 is the new standard for TW's FE series, then you have to have FE2 if you want to continue moving forward. The biggest problem for new comers to FEG is there are sooo many mods and aircraft to be installed. It's not really a problem but people do scratch their heads trying to figure out what to install, where to get it, and how to install or mod it. If people wait too long to get into FE2 they will all have the same problems, a whole lot of time consuming mod installs. There's already a whole lot of things that need to be done to FE2 to bring it even close to a fully modded FEG. Which in my opinion is already a beautiful sim. I dont really want to do it all over agiain. But I'm sure I will because that's what we all do, right? Cant wait to see what's next.grin.gif

I have XP and I don't plan on getting FE2 in the near future. That would certainly change if I upgrade to Win 7.

Same here, TS.

A new PC is not high on my list of priority purchases right now...And besides, I kinda love my FE1 install just as it is... :kisses:

Well, I know this response is going to go down in flames, so to speak, but, buried in one of TK's responses to Peter01 about development of the sim is another reason to buy.

"Thanks Peter!

No time frame for anything, it really depends... especially since our WWI series isn't exactly big money maker (its a niche within niche market), it usually ends up depending on how well other games do. icon_wink.gif"

TK

Now that TK has all the sims converted to -2 standard, further development depends on dollars. It's not like TK, or any other developer operating like he does, is going to take out loans to pay for the cost of developing a sim, nor should we expect him to. We are a tiny percentage of flight simmers and the number of flight simmers is very small compared to the number of computer gamers as a whole, and the number of computer gamers is a small fraction of the available entertainment dollars devoted to gaming, most of that going to console gaming. Don't believe me? Just watch your TV. People who make lots of money advertise there.

So, it boils down to a simple, hard fact of life: dollars equals development. And we pay for that through our purchases, exactly the way the free market is supposed to work. If a product is introduced, any product, and there is little or no demand for it, it disappears from the marketplace, sooner or later. So, I'm glad I purchased it, even though I love my original patched FE, even though I can't use all the buzzers and whistles, and even though I know that moving all my modded stuff into my new installation will be a PITA. Just the cost of keeping my favorite WW1 sim alive, even though the purchase left me without spit in the tanks until next week.lol.gif

So, one final thought before I go down in flames here. A salute and a thank you to the new members of this forum that I've seen over the last week. Welcome! And as they used to say in the Bartles and James ads (yes, I know, I'm old), "Thank you, for your support."

It's going to be something very special to get me to go from my heavy modded 6.41gb FE1 to FE2.

Edited by don246

So chaps

What I'm hearing so far is that FE2 brings me Vista/Win7 & DX10 compatibility, plus some improvement to AI gun effectiveness and to roll modelling.

When I bought my new rig last year I deliberately selected WinXP to avoid Vista - I think that's the worst Windows since the original Windows 3 - so those first 2 enhancements aren't relevant. As for the gun modelling, my FE config has long since had carefully modded ammo weights to provide realistic hit/kill ratios (sometimes one or two rounds do it, sometimes it takes scores of hits, the average is in the range of 30-50 hits for a kill). That appears to leave the roll modelling, on which I defer to Peter01 - personally I am very very happy with all of his FM updates. (BTW does FE2 introduce "collidable" trees and buildings, for realistic hedge-hopping flight?)

So it comes down to Heck's economic argument for buying FE2. I think that and that alone will make me buy it. But I'm unlikely to use it, based on the above, and the huge transactional cost of updating it to the level of my much-modded and fine-tuned FE1 setup.

Mikt

(BTW does FE2 introduce "collidable" trees and buildings, for realistic hedge-hopping flight?)

Nope.