Sign in to follow this  
Akmatov

ROF FM/DM

I keep reading that the ROF FM/DM is different than OFF, but I don't ever read any specifics. What are people talking about?

And can't one tweak the FM/DM? I certainly see Herr Prop-Wasche experimenting in this area.

Edited by shredward
characterisation

No offense to the OP; but I am tired of these Off vs RoF threads. These are two flight sim games we are talking about here. Buy them both fly the one you like best or fly them both for whatever reason and move on.

Nuf said.

Oh man all of a sudden I feel so tiredboredom.gifsleep.gif

Ak, you're relatively new here, so you get a free pass, but:

Threads that start out comparing one sim to another, especially if there is a chance said thread could turn into something less than positive, will get shut down.

Cheers,

shredward

I don't own ROF, but from what I've heard and so take it with a grain of salt, the FM in ROF is supposedly more "challenging." In practice, I think this means the aircraft are somewhat more difficult to fly. Whether the FM in ROF is more realistic is a completely different question, and one of substantial debate.

Same thing with the DM. Some argue the DM in ROF is more accurate, while others complain it is too arcadish and repetitious. Only way to know is for you to try it out yourself. I think ROF now has a demo. I've also heard rumors that they are relaxing their DRM requirement. I wonder why that is???? :rofl:

And, yes, you can play a bit with the damage model in OFF. :grin:

Well, I am considered a bit of a ROF hammer!...and so, I am going to buy it (especially now you dont need to be online to play it)...and I will give it my best shot!...and 'try' to be as unbiased as possible...because, I do believe that all WW1 sims are worthy of attention..I have FS-WW1 and FE, as well as the Best WW1 sim ever (oh, there I go again)...so seems only right, I should at least try ROF I guess

Well, I am considered a bit of a ROF hammer!...and so, I am going to buy it (especially now you dont need to be online to play it)...

Careful UK. It will be supposedly available in the next patch (maybe in the end of month). In this moment you still need for playing SP an online connection.

The best one is the one you like. IMHO.

I quite agree.

Ak, you're relatively new here, so you get a free pass, but:

Threads that start out comparing one sim to another, especially if there is a chance said thread could turn into something less than positive, will get shut down.

Cheers,

shredward

Ops, I apologize. I had absolutely no intention of starting one of 'those' discussions.

I had purely been curious about some things I had read over at the Aerodrome where some posters were saying very nice things about both OFF and ROF. One of the distinctions that seemed to pop up from time to time was a preference, by some, for the FM/DM in ROF. Having read a bit about Herr Prop-Wasche's experiments with these models in OFF, I was wondering if I was understanding OFF correctly in that if you didn't like some aspect of the FM/DM in OFF, you could just go in and adjust it yourself to suit your understanding of a more historical accurate modeling of WW1 aircraft performance.

In other words, I wasn't intending to compare one sim with another; but rather badly asking if it isn't possible to adjust OFF's FM/DM.

I am now retiring into a convenient cloud and will quietly drift back across the lines to safety in obscurity.

Edited by Akmatov

I am now retiring into a convenient cloud and will quietly drift back across the lines to safety in obscurity.

Now..dont do that.....what makes this forum work is eveyones input...

but it is a BHAH forum,,,and sometimes the "other" game topics get out of hand.

Exactly.

The damage model in the models isn't being changed by modding normally - the damaged parts are built into the model.

The modding mentioned is usually adjusting values in the XDP file which holds the DM values of the parts e.g. how strong a wing is. So making a wing 200 damage when it was 150 will make it much stronger and reduce how often it breaks of course.

With so many variables in preferred aircraft flown, enemy skill and aircraft you tend to meet (some people always fly certain squads) it affects what you perceive hence there are many opinions on DM.

There are LOTS of options in the Workshop settings built into OFF (stronger bullets, wider spread, worse AI guns etc..) to customise things.

Well said Duck! :drinks: