Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Albatros D Va Jasta 5 "Hans Huckebein"

Although Jasta 5 seems to be OvS' favourite Staffel to fly with, I had never yet joined them.

The reason was only a matter of taste: I don't like the combination of green with red, which

are their Staffel colours.

But then I saw the Albatros D Va build project at the "Vintage Aviator" website and was so

amazed to see a brandnew version of Josef Mai's fighter, that I started a new skinning project.

Like Mai, I wanted a mottled fuselage back. All the time, I was thinking of a good personal emblem

for my new pilot. I finally came up with an idea and a whole short story around it.

My pilot Hans-Jurgen Harms has made "Bruch" (crashlanding) in an early flight with the Staffel,

after a long and alcohol-drenched night. All pilots laughed about him, when he climbed from the

damaged craft, and they named him "Hans Huckebein, der Unglücksrabe" from now on.

Harms' name is even the same alitteration as that early comic figure: HH.

Now for all non-Germans: the story about "Hans Huckebein" was drawn by Wilhelm Busch, who

created a whole big book of early comics, mostly with a misanthropic and sarcastic humour.

Most of his figures are well known German popular inheritage.

Hans Huckebein is a young raven, that gets caught by a little boy. Left in the house alone, the

little creature is very curious about everything. When he discovers a glass of Schnapps, he drinks it

all dry, and gets totally drunk. He finds his end getting entangled in knitting wool, falling off the table

and hangs himself that way.

The word "Unglücksrabe" means in English "jinx" or "unlucky fellow", but in German we say "unlucky raven".

I found this a story good enough to build a pilot on, and so now, after all these months in OFF-BHaH,

I am finally flying with OvS in Boistrancourt. Killed a balloon and a Sopwith Pup in my first sortie.

Thanks, OvS and Paarma, for your great skins - I only could work from there.

And before anyone comes up again with the wheathering missing - this craft is a brand new production,

only just painted in the Staffel colours. Okay?

Edited by Olham

Oh, that's wonderful, Wels! Now the English speaking can share the story; thank you!

Looks very good, Olham. :good:

If you want to experience some really fierce fighting, joing Jasta 5 during the spring/summer of 1918 when they have the D.VII and are right in the middle of the big offensives. But don't expect your pilot to live long...

Well, still some time until then - I joined them in late August 1917 with my D V.

Not sure If I can survive until the D VII (but she's not my crate really - too ugly).

VEry nice and detailled DV skin. Yeah i see the similary details that is May´s replica dv from vintage aviator. Actually that a/c impressed me quite much too. Could affect future reworked dv´s and dva´s.

Yes, let it infect - ahh - affect you, Paarma!

Jasta 5 - Ja-Whol!

Lookin' real nice Olham!

:drinks:

OvS

That is a beauty Olham, first-rate work as always Sir. Really like the picture on the side and the mottling on the top of the fuselage. good.gif

Thank you all!

She isn't ready yet - many details are yet to be done.

In the end I want to add the skin, without my personal emblem, to the skins download section.

Just as a basic Jasta 5 skin; so all can add their own signs.

Very nice Olham...you make even a dull aeroplane like the Albatross look nice :good:

(just kidding...I like the Albatross really.... very pretty...but the DVII is a fighting machine

Yes, surely, Widowmaker - if I had to fight real life dogfights, I would most likely

prefer the D VII for the Albatros. But from the looks, I find the Albatros, and maybe

the Halberstadt and the Pfalz the most beautiful German crates.

British craft I like best are the Triplane and the S.E.5a (which I prefer to the Camel;

seems I'm rather an inline engine pilot).

Sehr gut Hauptman Olham! Did you have witnesses for that Krumpet kite?

Do you mean the picture, Conrad?

That was a balloon I just blew up for fun on the way.

It couldn't be claimed, as it was no mission target.

Yes, the picture of your plane is very nice. I like your mottled decking. Reminds me of some of the Fw190, and Me262 mottled paint schemes. It really makes your plane look like a pouncing hunter.

The reference was to the downed sausage for witnesses. Sorry it couldn't be claimed. It is always a shame.

Some nations did not accept balloons at all, so we are lucky -

when it is the mission target, you will find it in the claim form and can claim it.

Have worked on the skin again. The nose/cowling was changed, the metal ring of the hood

had to be longer, and the hood had to come down towards the spinner a good deal more.

For all this, the pictures at "The Vintage Aviator" were an indispensable help.

Also changed some of the metal parts attached to the craft. I gave all metal parts a colour,

that was much used in Germany as a rust protecting basic coating. The Luftwaffe used it in

WW2 under the name RLM 02; it was a grey mixed of white, black and yellow.

I assume, that this rust-proofing paint was already the same colour in WW1.

The mix is more or less simple: 40% white, 40% black, 20% yellow (in Corel Draw the colour "Khaki").