Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Their Finest Hour"

Just found this very moving video at YouTube.

It is only one part of a sequence; you'll find the other parts there too.

I am really touched and deeply moved, to see this old hero climb his "Spit" once again;

to hear him talk about her lovingly; to see him perform a "Victory Roll"; and to hear him

speak of the nightmares you will have after fighting in a war, as "Scars of Honour".

Salute!

Edited by Olham

Yes, I watched the series on TV...wonderful video....brings a lump to the Throat! :salute:

Very moving indeed, and a must see series. Thanks for posting Olham. Such bravery and sacrifice should never be forgotten.

The most beautiful plane in the world.

I've the series, but haven't had the chance yet to view.

Unfortunately there aren't so many documentaries from the German side.

Brave men fighted over the sky of Britain. :salute:

Thank you for this report, Shredward; now I know him a little better.

Just saw the documentation "Fighting the Blue", Part 1: "Stuffy"

about Dowding. A man probably not honoured enough yet.

Just saw the second part of "Fighting the Blue" about women as ATA pilots.

Very interesting, how many of them transferred fighters like the Spitfire.

And how they only lived from day to day.

I was quite shocked, to see how badly Dowding and Keith Park were treated.

None of them was left in office with the end of the Battle of Britain, because some

"pushy-elbow type carreer vultures" served them off, icecold?

The documentation said, that, if Mallory had introduced his "Big Wing" idea

at the beginning of BoB, England would have probably lost the fight.

And when Dowding requested two inch bulletproof glass for the windshields

of the fighters, the "Lords of Decisions" laughed at him. He had to insist by

saying: "When the Mafia in New York have it - why not my pilots?"

And they only gave it to him, because the losses of pilots were just too high.

Hugh Dowding got a memorial statue not earlier than 1988? What a shame!

Edited by Olham

Dowding called the Pilot's "His Chicks"

Considering the debt owed by the World to Dowding and Park, the way they were treated by the RAF 'Top Brass' and Churchill's government was lamentable, and stands as a black mark against both organisations

Yes - I hadn't known that before. Well spoken, Widowmaker!

Thanks for this as I dont watch TV I would have missed this and that beautiful Aeroplane is the one of the reasons I joined the R.A.F. and everytime I see one or hear one it brings a lump to my throat as Widow said... and for this Gentleman to be able to fly again after 60 years is a wonderful thing for him...

Long may we remember their sacrifice for what they did for the world...

And your right Widow on the shocking behaviour by the RAF against Dowding in fact the day before the official start of the Battle Dowding was told it was his last day on the job as they trying to get rid of him and it was only on Churchill's insistence that Dowding was given is Baronetvy in 1943 a year after he had retired from the RAF...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast--Did you have a chance to fly either the Spitfire or the Hurrie? What other aircraft did you fly? Please describe, if you can, what it was like to fly any of these air-beaters!

...it was only on Churchill's insistence that Dowding was given is Baronetvy in 1943

Does this mean, that he was made a Baron - can't find the word in my dictionary.

I think it's nothing short of outrageous the way Park and Dowding were treated. Very shabby indeed. After the Battle of Britain, Dowding was retired, and Keith Park transferred to training. Leigh Mallory was an accomplished politian and instrumental in having both Park and Dowding removed. His own policies caused heavy casualties for RAF pilots, but he nevertheless made head of fighter command, and made a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath for his efforts. His days of glory so to speak, concerned D-Day when allied air superiority was assured. Dowding and Keith Park not only held the line when the RAF was under extremely serious pressure, but after the Battle of Britain, Keith Park also put the backbone into the successful defence of Malta during it's darkest hours under similarly intense pressure.

Without Dowding, there wouldn't have been a Battle of Britain. Dowding was the man with the foresight and vision responsible for the RAF having both the Hurricane and Spitfire at their disposal when they were needed, aided by the RDF radar stations which he also advocated and maintained, and without which the Battle of Britain would have been a defeat.

The only saving grace I've read is that whatever was made of their efforts externally, both Dowding and Park were always held in the highest possible regard by the airmen who flew under their direction. I'm not 100% sure I remember correctly, but I seem to recall some issue over Dowding's statue, and that it wasn't paid for by the state, but by his own pilots, or his 'chicks'.

Perhaps not the RAF's finest hour.

Edited by Flyby PC

Besides being very competent, Downding didn't have an easy temper specially when he was sure about his convictions. I'm sure that has got him some "enemies".

There is a known episode with him confronting general Sir Henry Rawlinson during WWI in which clearly demonstrates Downding's character.

Dowding's facility for seing things as they were and as not as others, especially his seniors, wanted to see them, was sson demonstrated.

The day before Antwerp fell he was sent to observe the roads west of the city. He spotted Belgian troops but no Germans, and after filling his report he was called, with his squadron commander, to the headquarters of Sir Henry Rawlinson, the general responsible foir that section of the front. "You say you saw no Germans?" queried Rawlinson. "But they're there, we know they're there." Downding stood his ground. "Well, sir, you wouldn't wish me to say I'd seen them if I hadn't. It was a very clear day, and if there had been any Germans I must have seen them." This direct contradictionof a general marked Downding as a man not easily shaken from his convictions.

in The Royal Flying Corps in World War I - Ralph Barker

I've got the whole series on Realplayer, and like watching it. One of my favorites along with the Hurricane, and the Mossie. When I was a young feller we went to the Imperial War Museum in Ottawa, and I was just awe struck. Used to have a picture of my dad holding me while I stood on the wing of a Hurricane. The Lancaster just mezmerized me. It was so huge, it looked like it would never get off the ground. But the thing that I remembered the most was a Camel hanging from the ceiling like the model planes in my room. That, along with the little ride I had in a homebuilt DRI when I was 5 or 6 just hooked me into wings with wires.

drinks.gif Some PicsURL=http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=11553]gallery_50835_358_134089.jpg[/url]

URL=http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=11554]gallery_50835_358_30730.jpg[/url]

heat.gif URL=http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=11556]gallery_50835_358_48200.jpg[/url]

Ah The Gloster Gladiator!....Immortalised in the defence of Malta against the Italian's in WW2

'Faith, Hope and Charity'....three aeroplanes forever held in the hearts of the Maltese People

A little video I made last year, whilst practising (hope it goes someway to remember)

Yep. not historically accurate Spitfire for the Battle...but who cares?! :grin:

A little video I made last year, whilst practising (hope it goes someway to remember)

Yep. not historically accurate Spitfire for the Battle...but who cares?! grin.gif

nicely donedrinks.gif

Yep. not historically accurate Spitfire for the Battle...but who cares?! grin.gif

Great Video!

I like the engine sound too

What sim are you flyin?

Thanks guys

Yes Duce, it is MS flight Simulator X (with the Real Air Spitfire)