Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Military Vets and Current Military Members

I hadn't thought of responding to this topic other than to mention my time in service and express my thanks for starting the topic. I feel I must respond to the folks who never served in the Military and offer some insight. I retired from the USAF after 26 years of service as an aircraft combat crew-member, flying C-130s, C-141s and C -5 cargo airplanes. I flew in Vietnam from January 1967 to December 1973 during which time I flew more combat missions than I can count, some I can not talk about to this very day. Flying into dirt fields taking ground fire, low level airdrops, emergency air evacuations from fire base camps under fire was just part of the job. It was not the fear of combat or dieing, you didn't become afraid until it was all over, it was the job. Of the 12 members in my Load-master class, 5 were killed in Vietnam, this is just an example of the loss rate. I tell you all this to make the point, it is also the long months away from your family, long hours on the job, relocating to a new base every 2 or 3 years and the very low pay. During the Vietnam War it was the disrespect and treatment of the Military by American people, this hurt the most. So why do we do it? Hell I don't know, I think maybe it is a calling or a sense of duty to your country. But I can tell you this, there is a bond between Military people like no other profession. Military People are a very special breed of people.

Msgt James W Richardson, Retired

Enid, Oklahoma

During the Vietnam War it was the disrespect and treatment of the Military by American people, this hurt the most.

Here's a belated "Thank you" James

I was onlyn a youngster during Vietnam but even I could tell it was the politicians, not the troops, screwing up

The fact that you soldiered on despite the adversity only adds to the accolades due you and your brethren

Hope our country never repeats this disrespect

In your debt,

Salute.gifSalute.gifSalute.gif

Usafmtl

I am really sorry if you feel what I said has taken the wind out of your Project...I promise you, that was never my intention.

The reason for why you want to do what you are doing, is not only valid....it is honourable!...and you are quite right...I should not have posted my response in this particular thread!

Please accept my apologies, and my 100% agreement with what you are doing. :drinks:

It's all good UK. good.gif

MSgt Richardson

Thank you for your service in Vietnam. One of the reasons I took on this project is to show our appreciation for the sacrifice people have made by joining the military. My dad was in the USAF from 1969 to 1998 and he tells similar stories. I am sure it by no means makes up for the treatment you got from the Vietnam era but I hope in some way makes you feel good that we here at CA appreciate you. Salute.gif

V/R

TSgt David Slavens

Thank you all for your kind word

Rich

24 years United States Air Force Security Forces. I loved every minute of it. Thanks to all of you for your past and continued service.

K.Lynn ever spend time at the SF academy?

K.Lynn ever spend time at the SF academy?

No.....never spent any time there except for the 6 weeks or so of tech school. Its been so long, I can't remember how long the school was........lol. Graduated out of there in September of 1974. Never have been back to Lackland since. Some of the old blue berets from the 18th Security Police Squadron at Kadena AB are trying to plan a reunion there at the academy next year. I hope they get it planned, would really like to get back to Lackland and see how much its changed.

Were you at Kadena? I was at Torii Station from 1974 through 1977. I lived off of Kadena Circle for the the first six or so months, all my neighbors were Air Force, I was the onliest Army guy in the area.

Beard

No.....never spent any time there except for the 6 weeks or so of tech school. Its been so long, I can't remember how long the school was........lol. Graduated out of there in September of 1974. Never have been back to Lackland since. Some of the old blue berets from the 18th Security Police Squadron at Kadena AB are trying to plan a reunion there at the academy next year. I hope they get it planned, would really like to get back to Lackland and see how much its changed.

My dad was a TI in Sept 1974. We lived at Lackland from 1974 to 1981, then again when I was a TI and MTL from 1994 to 2001. It has changed completely. It doesnt look much like it did in 1974. You will recognize some of the big landmarks but all those old mob dorms are gone.

Nothing really special served 10 years in the Canadian Forces. During the mid 70's we were using antiques from the Korean war era. The pay sure sucked back then. I remember the first PMQ the wife and I lived in you could see outside under the base boards. Try living in that with our winters, where -30C is a nice day.

But would do it all again in a heartbeat if I could. Miss the life style.

Were you at Kadena? I was at Torii Station from 1974 through 1977. I lived off of Kadena Circle for the the first six or so months, all my neighbors were Air Force, I was the onliest Army guy in the area.

Beard

I was stationed at Kadena twice. The first time from 1982 to 1987 and then from 1989 to 1995. I remember Kadena Circle well. I loved Okinawa...........comes in second to the Philippines. The Army was kind of a lonely club there on Okinawa. The Air Force and Marines dominated the island.

Nothing really special served 10 years in the Canadian Forces. During the mid 70's we were using antiques from the Korean war era. The pay sure sucked back then. I remember the first PMQ the wife and I lived in you could see outside under the base boards. Try living in that with our winters, where -30C is a nice day.

But would do it all again in a heartbeat if I could. Miss the life style.

I spent a little time in Canada myself. I was TDY to Goose Bay, Labrador in 1975. The Air Force had KC-135 tankers on alert up there. Man............did it ever get cold up there, but, it sure was beautiful.

My dad was a TI in Sept 1974. We lived at Lackland from 1974 to 1981, then again when I was a TI and MTL from 1994 to 2001. It has changed completely. It doesnt look much like it did in 1974. You will recognize some of the big landmarks but all those old mob dorms are gone.

Your Dad was a TI there when I went through basic training.........June 1974. I think I was assigned to the 3906 BMTS. In fact, I'm sure of it. What an experience............lol. I'm hoping they pull this reunion off.........really looking forward to going back and taking a look at the place. Oooops.....got the date wrong...he was there a couple of months after I got there. Sorry about that.

Edited by K. Lynn

I had just under 2 years as a TA Paratrooper, but that feels like, and indeed is, such a long way from ever being what might pass for being a veteran.

Some people say you're not a veteran unless you've seen actual combat. I know what they mean, but that's very harsh on all the other squaddies or wider servicemen just as ready to do their bit, but just never getting the chance. They're every bit 'veterans' too.

To be perfectly honest, I feel a little uncomfortable even calling myself a Para, (& normally I don't) because there's such a massive gulf between a TA Para and the real deal legends in the regular army. They are the real Paras, a true elite Regiment, and all those stories you've heard about how fit, tough and hard they are? Well they're all 100% true.

Me a veteran? Never. Near enough killed me just getting the beret. I did think about going regular, briefly, but life took me in a different direction. I was always fit and active growing up, playing rugby, sprinting, getting into one or two scrapes, gung-ho, happy go lucky and pretty much up for anything. I thought I was indestructible, but the Para's taught me I wasn't. I so very nearly came unstuck and close to giving up. My body had never had to endure such punishment. Hardest thing I've ever done, by a mile, but somehow I got my beret, and my wings, but best of all, the whole experience gave me a new outlook on life and built me up to be a better person.

So, all these years later, I'm still not really a Para.

But then again, if the s**t had hit the fan back then, and we'd all been stuck in a Herc and flown out to some godforsaken s**thole in the middle of the night, would I have actually jumped through that door?

You're fking right I would. grin.gif

Retired US Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant. 20 years of service from 76-96 all in aviation, helicopters. Have over 2000 hours as a crewchief/mechanic on H-46's, VH-3D's and have spent time on H-53's. Was part of the initial operational Marine test team involved with the V-22 tiltrotor. Currently I am in Civil Service as the Assistant Maintenance Officer for the Presidential Helicopter Program. Can't seem to stay to far away from aircraft...... in real life or in sims.

My thanks and appreciation to everyone that has served in any capacity at all worldwide, not only including the military, but also to those that work at keeping our streets safe and respond to emergencies not because they want to, but because they are compelled to having a strong sense of civility and compassion for their neighbors.

Currently I am in Civil Service as the Assistant Maintenance Officer for the Presidential Helicopter Program.

Gentlemen, I think we have just discovered the most powerful and important individual on this forum!

Thank you for your service, nbryant. Both past and present. :salute:

Talking of the UK paras, I saw them a lot as a boy. My father was a fitter in the RAF from 1921 to 1958 and I remember RAF Abingdon which was a base for Blackburn Beverleys and used for training for the paras. As my father was due for retirement they put him in charge of a hangar there where the Paras were trained. I remember going there and being strapped into a harness and let down fast from the roof of the hangar. There were other things that I was not allowed to do, like jump about 15 feet onto a coconut mat in order to practice landings. I think the chutes of those days came down rather fast! And us kids would watch the paras jumping out of a barrage balloon. IIRC there was a Sergeant instructor at that time who won (I think) the George Medal - very rare, because the balloon burst and he threw all the trainees out before jumping himself at a very low height and was lucky that his chute opened at all.

We kids also used to creep to the end of the runway and watch the rubber smoke come off the tyres as the planes landed. The cops used to come and round us up and report us to our fathers...

And eight years later I joined the RAF myself.

And to Ns13Jarhead, I 'served' with a US Marine in 4 Sqn RAF 1970-73. He was a exchange pilot at the time when the USMC were buying AV8A's as they were called. I did'nt have much to do with him except from strapping him in a few times but I remember he was always polite to his ground crew. I can't say what he made of the RAF but it was most likely a lot different from what he was used to. I read a book written by a USMC Phantom pilot in Vietnam and he said that Marines were 'Marines first and pilots second' - the attitude in the RAF was the opposite.

Edited by JimAttrill

...... I think the chutes of those days came down rather fast! .....

Even in mid/late eighties, we still jumped with PX4 parachutes, which were more or less unchanged since WW2. You weren't supposed to, but everybody tried to keep hold of your Apex tie as kind of record for how many jumps you'd done.

I also remember doing one jump in what I remember as being an American harness. The PX4 wasn't exactly comfy, (if it was, it wasn't tight enough), but had much fewer buckles and clips to do up (and go wrong).

Your balloon jump is typically 1000ft, and quiet so the training staff can hear you shouting out your drill. I was lucky, when I trained, it was too windy for the balloon, and since the flights had to be booked weeks in advance, it worked out my first jump was out a Herc. (The balloon jump is horrible experience for various reasons). I still had to do my balloon jump to tick the box, but had about 4 'real' jumps under my belt before the dreaded balloon jump.

My father-in-law (who had his 80th birthday last week) was a French Para in the early 50s. He was lucky enough to not be at Dien Bien Phu, being at Dakar at the time. He was trained by British Paras with the maroon berets (he was most impressed by them even though his English was non-existent at the time), and they flew in JU52s and had American or maybe German parachutes which landed at very high speed compared to the British version. They suffered many broken bones every time they leapt out of the aeroplanes. I managed to take him on a trip on the South African Airways JU-52 ZS-AFA a few years ago. This one has Harvard engines but is now not flying because there is something wrong with the undercarriage, so I have heard.

Edited by JimAttrill

Gentlemen, I think we have just discovered the most powerful and important individual on this forum!

Thank you for your service, nbryant. Both past and present. Salute.gif

Far from it HPW.

Edited by nbryant

My father-in-law (who had his 80th birthday last week) was a French Para in the early 50s. He was lucky enough to not be at Dien Bien Phu, being at Dakar at the time. He was trained by British Paras with the maroon berets (he was most impressed by them even though his English was non-existent at the time), and they flew in JU52s and had American or maybe German parachutes which landed at very high speed compared to the British version. They suffered many broken bones every time they leapt out of the aeroplanes. I managed to take him on a trip on the South African Airways JU-52 ZS-AFA a few years ago. This one has Harvard engines but is now not flying because there is something wrong with the undercarriage, so I have heard.

Wow Jim, I'd never heard of Dien Bien Phu. Sounds like a place you just didn't want to be. Need to find some books on that.

Having thought about it, the issue with the clips on the US harness was getting out of it. If you're about to land on water, you've no idea how deep it is. The drill is once you know that's where you're going to land, you open your harness and just hang there ready to release it the second your feet hit the water. If it's an inch deep, you make a normal landing if a bit soggy, but if it's deep water you want to get as far away frome the cords and canopy as possible, and by releasing your chute early, there's a better chance it won't land square on top of you. Thankfully I never had to test the theory.

I did see a water landing happen - sort off. One fella landed in a ditch which ran parallel to the prevailing wind. The poor chap was getting dragged through the mud, crap and water by his parachute and with all the crap in his face he couldn't find his cords to collapse the canopy, so it just kept going. He got dragged about 50m or so. It wasn't deep enough to drown or anything, he was certainly a lot more camouflaged than the rest of us. Laugh at him? Yes we did.

Second incident was more serious, or could have been. I landed ok, and was twisting my parachute ready to pack it up, when a para ran past still wearing his harness but no parachute. An RAF officer on the ground bellowed "Hey you! Where's your Fking Parachute?"

Para turned and pointed "Up the fking tree!" and just kept running. I thought now there's a lucky boy. Gets to survive a landing in trees without breaking anything, and then gets to swear at an Officer without saluting. Yeah, Fking Airborne! rofl.gif

Hi all, just started with OFF and from what I see, there's alot of good people here.

I was just a Grunt / Draftee cool.gif in 68.

Hi all, just started with OFF and from what I see, there's alot of good people here.

Nothing wrong with that. I was a volunteer, and joined for the RAF technical training (and also to 'escape' from an existing and boring apprenticeship). And being technical in the RAF was hardly 'military' - possibly more dangerous now with Iraq and Afghanistan etc. The role of the RAF is summed up in the Army Rumour Service website:

"In the Army it is generally the commissioned officers who send the chaps to do most of the dirty work. In the navy the officers and the chaps have to do it together on a large floating Exocet target. The RAF is unique in that the chaps stay safe and dry in a nice, cosy bomb-proof hangar while the commissioned officers are shot down and given a ferocious beasting on Al Jazeera TV. Consequently, in order to maintain morale, many RAF officers' messes are equipped with miniature pool tables and Fruit Machines. Classy eh? This seems only right and proper since the ground crew and engineers, by necessity, need to be educated and intelligent people whilst the prime qualifications for aircrew (apart from lightning reflexes and a good memory) are the ability to talk self-opinionated, noisy bollocks while nursing a half pint of piss-weak lager at the mess bar"

Of course this (unofficial) Army web site is not exactly pro-RAF, but is subjective in its criticism of just about everything military (especially procurement) and with good reason IMHO.

They are here for those who could do with a good laugh: http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Royal_Air_Force

Wecome aboard TwistedStick!

You're gonna love OFF!

We have a good li'l cadre on this forum

If you have any issues, just drop us a post

A lot of knowledgeable folks here who'll be happy to help

And of course ...new guy buys the beer drinks.gif

Salute.gif Thank you for your service

I have not visited the site for some time( long story) but felt I needed to add my two-bits worth here.

My first uniform was as a Civil Air Patrol cadet in the early 1950's. Lots of ex WW2 pilots around with their stories and several chances to get a flight in cool planes such as the PT-17, PT-22, BT-13 and the AT-6. However most time was logged in the smaller ( and cheeper to fly) L-5's & 16"s. I became interested in the ground rescue team and later lead that team on several searces and rescues in the southern California mountians.

In the mid 50's I joined the USAF and became a Rescue & Survival Specialist ( AFSC-92130). Back then we did it all, train the air crews and take part in searches and rescues. The training was rough, Very Rough! We were a very small group. Only a few on each Air Base ( fifty or more at the major schools ). Most Air Crews took to the outdoor part of the survival school quite well, but were shocked at the POW experience training. But then it was peace time and all was good.

The 60,s changed that --- NAM!!! By then the distinction between a Survival Instructor ( comfortable and safe) and a Parajumper ( damn dangerous ) was for ever set. Two "vacations" to that place (pre- Jolly green giants)was about all I could do. Color me gone.

After some education I felt the need to join the USArmy Reserves. A commander of a local Special Forces unit said you will fit in here "real good". I did, but the training was hard on my older body. I was activated and sent to several "fun locations". Wisdom finally prevailed and I moved my beat up old body to MI ( Military Intel. ) where it was safe air conditioned and heated ( or so I was told). We worked with the SF teams on planning and training for their missions through out the cold war period.

My last "gig" was being involved in the preplanning and over seeing the special ops portion of Desert Shield and Storm. All of "my" guys got in and out except for one SAS team.

I retired in 1993 with a total of 28 years and 10 months service. So keep paying your taxes folks.

Soon my bride of 49 years and I will be returning to the high country of Colorado for the summer, returning to Arizona for a winter of golf and hiking. Been doin this 17years. My son and grandson have plans to hike two 14teeners this year if my knees hold up.

Was this TMI?? CW3SF