Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

SF2I Spitfire MkIX - any interest?

(Hello all - Back again after a while!)

I've been fiddling with the new SF2I Expansion Pack Spitfire - the stock markings are OK-ish for post-war Spits at a pinch, but to be honest, they still needed work. So I've been busy.

As these stand, I've done set-ups for MkIXs in Middle East and Home/NWE colours typical of 1943-45. You get correct RAF markings, serial numbers, individual letters and squadron codes that correspond to mid-late War deployments. If I get very creative, other things may follow... If anyone's interested, I'll try and sort out the bits into some sort of coherent package and upload it over the next few days.

I don't want to brag, but I have been over this for the DAT Spitfires a year or so ago....and I'm currently working on a template for the TW Spits, since having one gives a bit more flexibility when creating skins. :grin:

post-22093-1275216090073.jpg

So far I haven't done than just figuring out the decal positions (thus the wrong roundels on the wings and all that)

Still, nice decals.

Edited by Gocad

Just off the top of my head, Y2 is No. 442 Sqn RCAF. Later converted to Mustang IVs.

Have you jumbled the s/ns and individual letters? One of the most unrealistic and annoying things the SF series does in attribute individual letters, serials, etc, in strict order - 000=A, 001=B, 002=C and so on. So you end up with Red Flight in A, B, C and D, Blue Flight in E, F, G and H, and so forth. Totally unrealistic. But if you start with 000=D, 001=K, 002=B, etc, then it looks better... My two penny's worth, in any case!

I will take all them thank you! Love the Spitfire.

Just off the top of my head, Y2 is No. 442 Sqn RCAF. Later converted to Mustang IVs.

Have you jumbled the s/ns and individual letters? One of the most unrealistic and annoying things the SF series does in attribute individual letters, serials, etc, in strict order - 000=A, 001=B, 002=C and so on. So you end up with Red Flight in A, B, C and D, Blue Flight in E, F, G and H, and so forth. Totally unrealistic. But if you start with 000=D, 001=K, 002=B, etc, then it looks better... My two penny's worth, in any case!

Yes, I did that. Not to mention that using consecutive serial numbers with late Merlin Spitires would be a bit unrealistic anyway, using the serial number range RR231-240 as an example:

RR231-232 : H.F. IX

RR233 L.F. IX - cancelled

RR234 (L.F.) XVI

RR235 H.F. IX

RR236 (L.F.) XVI

RR237 L.F. IX

RR238-239 H.F. IX

RR240 (L.F.) XVI

Serial numbers can drive you nuts :crazy:

Serial numbers can drive you nuts :crazy:

LoL! Tell me about it! I'm doing the Mustang MkIV as well - that's even worse. Most sources give three blocks of s/ns, which is correct, but neglect to tell you that the final block (KM744 - KM799) was not fulfilled...

All the Spits I've done so far correspond to late-build LF.MkIX aircraft, though as the armament fit wasn't recorded - Universal wings, by that point - I can't guarantee whether they were fitted with C-type or E-type armament. And I haven't checked which squadrons they served with! Sometimes you have to draw the line somewhere, and SF isn't the same as modelling individual aircraft.

I will take all them thank you! Love the Spitfire.

Uploading just as soon as I can make it comprehensible!

The Universal wing was actually the C-wing, since it could mount anything from 8 .303 Brownings to 4 20mm Hispano cannons...of course C-wing Spitfires usually carried the same armament as the B-Wing.

I think you could also mount two .50 cal MGs and 2 Hispano cannons, but judging how these guns were mounted on the E-wing, that was probably done only as a field modification.

FYI, I have a rather complete list of all RAF squadrons that have flown the Spitfire...

SpitfireSqds.pdf

Edited by Gocad

The Universal wing was actually the C-wing, since it could mount anything from 8 .303 Brownings to 4 20mm Hispano cannons...of course C-wing Spitfires usually carried the same armament as the B-Wing.

I think you could also mount two .50 cal MGs and 2 Hispano cannons, but judging how these guns were mounted on the E-wing, that was probably done only as a field modification.

FYI, I have a rather complete list of all RAF squadrons that have flown the Spitfire...

SpitfireSqds.pdf

Useful! Thanks.

Now, we just need decent opponents .... and our Jouney to SF2 WW2 will be complete...

wrench

kevin stein

Now, we just need decent opponents .... and our Jouney to SF2 WW2 will be complete...

wrench

kevin stein

How about working on TK to get an S-199? I can think of a few things that might happen to it!

Meanwhile, dogfighting against other Spitfires is a useful training challenge!

Meanwhile, I'm off on MkIXc and XVIe aircraft... There's lots to do! Not to mention some of the weirder efforts, such as Rolfe Arne Berg's final a/c, complete with Norwegian markings!

How about working on TK to get an S-199? I can think of a few things that might happen to it!

Meanwhile, dogfighting against other Spitfires is a useful training challenge!

No need for that

Edited by Gocad

Gocad

Is there the bubble canopy Spitfire anywhere? If so do you have any skins for it?

Like a mk.22? Only the DATs (and a seafire variant, mk.47 by them as well)

wrench

kevin stein

Gocad

Is there the bubble canopy Spitfire anywhere? If so do you have any skins for it?

Like Wrench said, just the Mk 22 and Seafires....and everything beyond the Mk 21 was considered to be Spitfires in name only anyway.

I think I have made quite a few posts lamenting that there is no Mk XIV/XVIII around.

Coming up soon...

No.4 Sqn South African Air Force. They switched from Kittyhawks to Spit MkVs in July 1943, and to MkIXs in May 1944, making them the first SA squadron to use the Spitfire, and to be issued with the MkIX.

@ ndicki - Great work with the Spits!

Slightly OT but I'd really love to have one with normal (unclipped) wings and the pointy fin/rudder - just like the old Matchbox kit!

And I want a Mk VIII (the best Merlin Spit) and a Mk XIV (the best Griffon Spitfire). :grin:

@ ndicki - Great work with the Spits!

Slightly OT but I'd really love to have one with normal (unclipped) wings and the pointy fin/rudder - just like the old Matchbox kit!

So would I! But unfortunately, there are only the two, rather than the... ten or twelve variants I'd like to see! A MkVIIIc would be useful, too, as well as a MkIX/XVI with a cut-down fuselage. Just for starters! Anyway, it's keeping me out of trouble for the time being. Mustang's next, too.

The Matchbox kit was real rubbish, though, be honest. Almost as bad as the ancient Airfix MkIX that they are still selling!

Thanks! That does look useful. Also Kevin has done an improvement package that I need to check through before I do anything myself - no point in duplicating effort!

Got a USAAF Spit IX on the table at the moment... That should keep the Yanks quiet for a bit!

Hi sir. Good to see you here coming from cfs 3. That Mustnag pic is awesome in RAF markings. keep it going. thx. :clapping:

just mostly a decal fix for the USAF post-war, and adding the formation and landing lights. Nothing really major

wrench

kevin stein

Thx, the more decals and skins for the stangs, the better he he. She's my fav over the Spitfire.