Sign in to follow this  
bruceD

Best(easiest) aircraft to begin with in OFF?

Thanks Olham I'll try those settings out and see what happens. I thought maybe my system was a bit slow, for OFF, but from what I'm seeing and thanks to you and others , I think I can make it work well enough to have some fun with this great sim. Thanks again for the settings I really appreciate it !

Welcome Bruce.

I third (or 4th) the recommendation to get TrackIR - you will never have to worry about losing SA again (well, almost never :good:)

Might I sugggest the DrI as an easy plane to fly? It may not be an obvious choice as it is often classed w/ the Camel - and maneuverability wise it is about equal - but it is pretty easy to fly and climbes like a banshee. It is slow tho'.

Might I sugggest the DrI as an easy plane to fly? It may not be an obvious choice as it is often classed w/ the Camel -

and maneuverability wise it is about equal - but it is pretty easy to fly and climbes like a banshee. It is slow tho'.

Barkhorn, the Dr.1 is perhaps easy to fly, but not at all easy to aim and hit with.

And by the way, it turns better than the Camel.

Barkhorn, the Dr.1 is perhaps easy to fly, but not at all easy to aim and hit with.

Good point. I can only go by my experience and I have no issues. I'm a better gunner than flyer. A regular Richtofen I tell ya'! :grin:

I had no idea as I was never a Came jockey. I have no issues shooting them down tho'. :cool:

Not to the right it don't :wink: . OTOH, it doesn't stall if you so much as fart in the wrong direction either, as the Camel can! :grin:

Precisely Dej, which is why Camel jockeys always seem to turn fight to starboard whilest DR1 aces always seem to be going to port. But it works out at least once every revolution when they meet head-to-head. :wink:

But it works out at least once every revolution when they meet head-to-head. :wink:

I know what you mean

I don't fly turn fighters but energy fighters can have similar experiences

After making a firing pass a 1/2 loop will bring you above and back at em

Usually the AI will turn or dive away

But occasionally you'll meet him inverted as he's 1/2 looping after you!

Cinch your straps a notch tighter cuz you're in for a wild fight ...woohoo!

After making a firing pass a 1/2 loop will bring you above and back at em

Usually the AI will turn or dive away

But occasionally you'll meet him inverted as he's 1/2 looping after you!

Cinch your straps a notch tighter cuz you're in for a wild fight ...woohoo!

You seem to have fun, Duce! I am more with Richthofen in my fights, which may be boring to watch.

He didn't use "aerobatics", but made a decided attack, in which he mostly shot his opponent up.

If he failed, he would go for an advantage position again.

I use "desperate maneuvers" like half loops only, when really desperate. Triplane aces can force me

to try that, but very rarely does it happen. My most successful "tactic" is to damage the opponent's kite

right at the beginning of a fight. After that, he is only half the match, and as good as dead.

Guest British_eh

Hi there BruceD,

Welcome aboard. As you see we have a great group of guys. First, practice and practice in Free Flight, b4 taking on the enemy. Olhams list is very good. Go to the Sticky section and find the SIA Aircraft Primers. Go with the Sop Strutter. You get a very experienced Observer who is quite good with the gun in the back, and you have one too. The first synnchronized gun for the Brit's. She's easy to fly, and will get you through even when the enemy Scouts come by.

Cheers,

British_eh

Edited by British_eh

Not much to add to this that our fine gentlemen here haven't already said, but as a newbie, you can't go wrong with the Albatros D.II and the SE5a. Very easy planes to fly and extremely capable against every opponent of their time. The Fokker D.VII and the SPAD S.XIII are two of my personal favourites: the Fokker flys and fights like a dream, and the S.XIII is so tough and fast that you can completely dominate practically every situation - if you don't want to stay around and fight, no German plane can catch the SPAD. But these planes enter service at a time when the air war has become very dangerous, especially for Germany, so I wouldn't recommend them to beginners.

But with the Albatros D.II you are quite superior against Entente fighters of late 1916, and with the SE5 in mid 1917 you are much faster and tougher than the German Albatrosses.

For early war, the Bristol Scout is an easy fighter to fly and would completely outclass the Eindecker, except that it has a single Lewis gun pointing in such a weird direction that hitting anything at all is a small miracle. If you do manage to shoot down an enemy fighter with it, I recommend you start betting some big money for being such a lucky bastard. :grin:

So in my opinion, the Nieuport 11 is the best early war (first half of 1916) Entente fighter and easily kills any Eindecker it encounters. But a beginner needs to be very careful with the early Nieuports, as their wings are quite fragile.