Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Your Family Name in a German Jasta ?

WM: He was a Luftwaffe pilot who got shot down over the UK...was injured, and kept as a POW...but fell in love with a Nurse here, they got married after the war.

What a sweet example for what I'm always saying - we may be and have been competitors.

But we are no enemies.

Olham, my 1/2 brother's surname is an Americanized version of Philbrick or Philbricks

He and I are very close so it would be nice to carry his pennant into vCombat

Nice idea!

Oldham,

could you please have a look for "Kaiser" in your Jasta lists??

Olham wrote:

You went into it even further I see - incl. the first name; your German seems to be quite good.

The old fashioned names can be quite amusing - Hartlieb is one such name; not used anymore, I bet.

There is another one I like: Fürchtegott (fear god). I wonder what sort of belief that was in the old days.

Olham, my "winziges bischen Deutsch", (is that even close to correct?), comes from listening to the old timers I have encountered over the years living in Minnesota. As Ras mentioned earlier, there are a lot of folks here in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" who claim Germanic ancestry. Heck, within just a few miles of my home there are the towns of New Germany and Hamburg! It has been an ongoing argument for the last 150 years as to which group migrated here first; the Germans or the Scandinavians, (it was the Scandinavians BTW, and in particular the Norwegians...that's my story and I'm sticking to it). In our town the current mayor's surname is Heimerl, which from what I can gather is a less-formal form of Heimeran and, (again, if I remember correctly), in English that translates to Raven Home. The other day I heard one of the old generation German-Americans in town yell over to him on Main Street, "Hey Schuldt, when are dey gonna spray fur mosquitoes around dis place?!"

I had to chuckle, not only at the vernacular, but also because Schuldt is an old German surname that literally means "Mayor".

Cheers! ...or should I say, Prost!

Lou

Duce, there is a name in German that's spelled like what you wrote,

but would be written Filbrich.

But no Filbrich (nor any name written your way)in the list, sorry.

Closest match though would only be:

Leutnant Josef Filbig, Jasta 80b, 1 victory (not named)

Kaiser, you can even choose, cause there are two:

Unteroffizier Justus Kaiser, Jasta 35b, 1 victory (Sop. Camel)

or

Leutnant der Reserve ... Kaiser, Jasta 17, 1 victory (Spad)

Lou, "mein winziges bischen" is absolutely correct, Sir; "winziges" meaning

even less than "kleines" (little), which might be "hiding your light under a bushel"

in your case.

Many people emigrated from northern Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

Life was still very hard and often poor even until after Great War.

I'm sure, I would recognise many a name in your area as of "Ostfriesisch"

origin. The Ostfriesen, Danish and Norwegians are a bit similar types of

people, I find.

I couldn't find a meaning for the full name "Heimeran" - but you're right:

"Heim" means "Home". "Raven" would be "Rabe" - it might be an old regional

form of "Rabe" in Heimeran.

A German mayor was called "Schultheiss", as far as I know.

This word comes from an older meaning.

Schuld = debt (what had to be given to the sovereign)

heissen = to tell to s.o.

So the Schultheiss in the older days was an official, who had to tell people

the taxes to be payed, and give them to the sovereign.

Later, he also did other community work and became what now is a mayor.

You see, not much has changed.

Firstly, the state officials always care about what they can get from you.

Edited by Olham

Olham, thank you for your wealth of information and for the correction on the meaning of "Schuldt". I imagine the usage I heard in town here is a result of immigration and "Americanization". I've said it before Sir and I will again: Your understanding of English, even on to many of it's subtle nuances, is far better than that of some folks in my country who learned it as their mother tongue. I wish I understood your native language 1/1000th as well as you do mine.

Now then, if you would be so kind, I do have a brace of German surnames I'd like you to check on: Schramm, and Bloem. They are the names of two of my "grandmothers", and I use the quotes because while niether were related to me by blood, both took on the roll of grandmother just as if they were a biological part of my family.

Cheers!

Lou

Sorry, Herr Prop-Wasche, MikeDixon, Ras, NS13Jarhead - it seems to happen quite

often, that I find posts I had not seen the last time, and so missed to answer.

Keefer: Found at least one in Berlin's phonebook; very rare in that writing

We rather find Käfer (beetle); or if you just go from your spelling "Keefer"

to German, it would be written "Kiefer" (your "ee", and/or "ea" is our "ie";

like in "beast", a very old world, written "Biest" here; speeled same way.

Staub: definitely German; means "dust", but may have older meanings namewise.

But sorry - no names for any of the above forms in the list.

MikeDixon, there are as well Richardson, as Richards, which comes from Richards Sohn;

we don't write it with an apostrophe like you would: Richard's son; German short

form: Richards

There is no short nickname form for Richard, except maybe "Ricki".

For you, Richards or Richard would be closest.

And Richard has a match in the book:

- Leutnant Werner Richard, Jasta 81

Ras, there is are matches for Ehlers and Schroeder (same as Schröder - "oe" is Umlaut "ö")

- Leutnant der Reserve ... Ehlers, Jasta 17; 2 victories (both Sop. Camel)

- Oberleutnant Bartholomäus Schröder, CO of Jasta 32

- Vizefeldwebel Fritz Schöder, Jasta 39; 1 victory (Hanriot)

- Leutnant G. Schröder, Jasta 39, Jasta 74

- Leutnant der Reserve Herbert Schröder, FAA 206, AFP 1, Jasta 1; 5 victories (Sop. Pup, Spad, Hanriot HD1, Spad, SAML)

- Leutnant der Reserve Paul Schröder, KG5/30; 1 victory (Sop. Camel)

- Leutnant der Reserve ... Schöder, Jasta 10, FFA 206

- Leutnant ... Schröder, Jasta 13; 1 victory (Spad)

- Leutnant Schröder, Jasta 28w

Jarhead, you are very lucky too. Two matches for "Schwartz". Very lucky indeed,

as the second one was in no less than 5 Jasta!

- Leutnant Konrad Schwartz, Jasta 22, Jasta 66; 4 victories (Balloon, 2x Sop. Camel, Spad, Breguet XIV)

- Leutnant der Reserve Wilhelm Schwartz, Jasta 20, Jasta 43, Jasta 69, Jasta 13, Jasta 73

RAF_Louvert, a common short form for the mayor/Schultheis was "Schulze" or "Schultz";

so they were not far from that.

You are lucky with three hits on "Schramm" here:

- Vizefeldwebel Arno Schramm, Jasta 7; 3 victories

- Oberleutnant Karl Schramm, Jasta 52 (served as OzbV - Offizier zur besonderen Verwendung/Officer for special duties)

- Leutnant der Reserve ... Schramm, Jasta 56, 3 victories (BF2b, 2x Sop. Camel) Claimed another Camel, but it was also claimed and conf. for another pilot

Well, there were some fine matches here now - hope you fly them sooner or later.

Edited by Olham

Thanks Olham,

I will name him Lt Wyman Filbrich after my brother

I echo Lou's comments above

Gut gemacht!

Ich besorge die Getränke

:drinks:

Olham, as always, you seem to enjoy enhancing other people's fun. Truly noble, sir. Thank you.

My flying name is what I believe to be a Germanification(?) of my surname, Bower. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Schultz, which I would imagine will draw several hits since Americans consider it to be one of the iconic German surnames (she remarried a man called Oberdorf, btw...no blood relation but Grandma Oberdorf was always my favorite). My own mother's maiden name is Richenderfer (she said spelled Richendrfr by a couple of her uncles) and her mother's was Brennar (possibly Brenner) with some Bredbenners hanging off one branch of the family tree.

While you're at it, could you confirm something for me? I use my own first name, Thomas, but I'm not sure of the German equivalent so I just drop the "h". How far off am I?

Thanks Olham. :salute:

Was hoping for something a bit more uniquely German sounding than "Michael Richard", but I guess I have a pretty generic name like that. :grin:

Thanks Olham, I think Ii will have to start a career for Leutnant Ehlers inm Jasta 13. Though with so many hours behind the Tripe, I will have to learn to fly all over again!

Thank you, von Baur,

firstly the spell of "Bower" in German would be "Bauer", which means "Farmer" in English.

Richenderfer looks like the American spelled transfirmation for Rickendörfer or Rickendorfer.

And indeed, for your names, there are several hits!

- Leutnant der Reserve Alfred Bauer, Jasta 17

- Leutnant Ernst Bauer, Jasta 3; 1 victory (FE2b)

- Unteroffizier Josef Bauer, Jasta 76b

- Gefreiter Max Bauer, Jasta 23b

- Vizefeldwebel Michael Bauer, Jasta 67, Jasta 23b

- Leutnant ... Bauer, Jasta1

For the meaning of Schultze (Schulze, Schultz, or Schulz) see above part for RAF_Louvert.

There were Schultzes in every village and town since the early mid-ages, and so it is a very

common name. Here are the Schultzs:

- Leutnant der Reserve Hans Schultz, Jasta 15, Jasta 18; 1 victory (Sop. Camel)

- Leutnant Schultz von Dratzig, Jasta 73

I only show your familiy writing here; there are more Schulz, Schultze and Schulze.

No hits on Brenner or the other names.

Hello Olham,

what about Bellin, or Schnittger (with double T), or maybe a Schumacher (without h) ? Is there something in the books ? Schnittger should be born in the region of Lemgo, or Detmold.

(I heard that Berthold Schilling (a distant relative) was aboard the L-59 Zeppelin, seems he was "Obermaschinenmaat" ).

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish/Wels

P.S. 4:0 against Argentina ?! :drinks:

Edited by Wels

Hey, Wels, nice to see you!

Found this about Berthold Schilling in the "Frontflieger" website here: http://www.frontflieger.de/3-s-f.html

There is a crew photograph.

Schilling, Berthold (Ob.Masch.Mt.)

L 59

geb. 24.03.1885 in Köblitz

+ 07.04.1918 Otrando Straße / Italien

Das Luftschiff ging ohne Feindeinwirkung verloren und stürzte

über der Otrando-Straße (östlich Italien) ins Mittelmeer.

No Jasta pilots of the name Bellin, Schilling or Schnittger in the list; but there is one Schmacher:

Vizefeldwebel Friedrich 'Fritz' Schumacher, Jasta 10 - 5 victories (Spad, 3x Ballon, Spad) - served March - July 1918

That match against Argentina showed again, how devastating an early goal might be.

Like when the "Bismark" met the "Hood" so to say. Argetinians struggled on until the last minute,

but didn't seem to find a common team play strategy.

The 4. goal really hurt - it was humiliating, and Argentina must be very sad now.

But "our" team is doing so great - you can't say, they just muddle through the competition, like it used to be

at various other competitions. No, this team would really deserve the cup.

Edited by Olham

Oldham my Grandmother's maidien name was Vossler. Her family came to the states before the Civil war. I have some records where her father served in the German military. I cannot read them as it is written in German. I also have papers where his widow filed for his pension after his service in the Civil war. If you could check for Vossler I would appreciate it.

Thanks John

Sorry, John - no Vossler in the list (only "Voss" and "Vossen").

If you have a letter that you want to know specificly, you could scan it and send me a PM of it -

I can try to translate it (my reward would be, to read such an old letter, written by a German in

the Civil War - a strong touch of history in that).

But only if you don't think it's too private of course.

On a somewhat related note - I use my GoG references to use a historic pilot name for the Jastas I fly in. For instance my current pilot for Jast 65 is Arno Benzler.

More immersion I think. :good:

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Olham,

How about Schuss or Schus? My father's mother's side of the family. Flory is the current name. The Flory's were living in the area between France and Germany in the 1400's. On the day of the St Bartholemews day massacre, they fled accross the border to Germany, as anyone non Cathholic was dragged out into the street and clubbed to death. They later migrated to the the US in the 1800's. At the time the name would have been spelled Fluery or Floury. My mother's side of the family is all Scotts and Irish.

Could it be "Fleury"? - still a French name, that means "flowery".

Sorry, no Schuss nor Schus - nothing even near. Also no Flory or Fleury.

But if we translate Fleury or Flory a little, we could use these (Flower = Blume):

- Leutnant der Reserve ... Blum, Jasta 57 - (5 claims: Sopwith, 3x DH-9, Sop. Camel, RE 8 - 3 confirms: Sopwith, DH-9, Camel)

- Leutnant der Reserve Fritz Blume, FAA 270, Jasta 37

- Leutnant der Reserve Walter Blume, FA 65, FEA 13, FAA 280, Jasta 26, Jasta 9 -

(victories: 2x DH-4, Sop. Pup, 2x Sop. Triplane, RE 8, 12x SPAD, Breguet 14, Nieuport, S.E.5a, 2x Sop. Camel, 5x SPAD 2)

Yes, I transposed the e and u. It is Fleury. It got Americanized with the move to the States. Evidently, it means flower or place where flowers grow. Blume is not a big reach

for me......

Walter certainly appears to have done his bit for the cause. Did he survive?

Yes, Blume survived the war. He became an engineer for Albatros and Arado aviation companies.

He died in May 1964, aged 68. (When I think about the music I heard in 1964, how I dressed and

wore my long hair - I wonder if would have understood).

Blume was a recipient of the Knights Cross of the Hohenzollern House, and the Pour le Merite.