Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Anyone ever completed the entire war?

Anyone ever completed the war using Pilot Never Dies? I'm in February 1917, playing every 8-10 days. Have 14 kills and two medals, but last day I got shoot down over my airfield by a Nieuport-17 and spend 23 days in the hospital, that was really close, so wondering If any of you guys ever completed a complete war in the game.

Another question, is possible to change to another squadron? Maybe I will follow Manfred to Jasta 1 now that he moved there.

Thanks Olham. The pilot never dies thing is to be able to try a entire story of a Jasta with all his planes. As soon as I can finnish the war If I can :D I will restart a new career in a deadth is death config.

There is also "Die roll on death" - something I didn't understand for a long time,

because I didn't know, that the singular for those little gambling cubes is "Die" - I only knew plural "Dice".

"Die roll on death" means, that a random decision is made, when your pilot crashes: will he live

(in hospital for a while) or must he die.

Hi Stratos,

I use DoDR and find it acceptable - there's the risk of death, but it's not inevitable. My current pilot (he of BE2 fame) started in February 1915 and is still kicking around (flying RE8s) in late August 1917, although I've purposely absented him from the front (home leave/transfer) once or twice, which I think is acceptable, plus he's been a POW twice and hospitalised rather more times than that! I'll let everyone know if I ever get to 11/11/18...

:vampire:I try ed Running from every fight and got till the end of 1917, but Oh Flack the Archie got me. Setting was roll die on death.:angry:

A week.... a week he says me I just want to survive the first flight... Here's a quick summary of flight...

Walk out to plane, check the Ennie over make sure everything does what it should and then climb in start engine... leave to warm gently... open throttle slowly until full power and take off follow my mates into the sky... and try to stay with them up up we go to 8000ft to 10000ft (2500m to 3300m roughly for the Mainland Europeans) pick out the enemy dive after them promptly get jumped by a pair of Nupe 11's and thats all she wrote... The Ennie is no match for a Nupe 11... well not in my hands... so far I have ended the Fokker scourge on my own...!!!

Give me a Strutter though and I manage about 10 flights...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Hee, hee Slartibartfast!:grin:

Is there such a thing as the Nupe Nuisance?

I don't think I want to try completing the war on "pilot never dies" mode. I'd only get to fly 12 missions a year, one a month between hospital stays. :rofl:

Hellshade

It's a bit possible with RSS I think. Part of the problem without RSS is simply that you fight waaaaay too much, an unrealistic amount even! In RSS you at least get to go on leave once or twice a month and you usually don't fly in bad weather. Plus if you get sent back to the homefront you get some good time off. Certainly a lot more survivable than flying 3 combat missions a day, every day, for years on end!

Yes, in fact I posted that some time ago. Realism was at -10 ( auto mix &never die & never fill out those reports )

John Bergman ( on of past CO's in real life) enlisted on 1 Sept. 1915 and handed over his sword to a Brit on 11 Nov. 1918.

He flew 128 missions, with over 90 hours, 162 kills, 5 medals up to Red Eagle Order and lots of holes in his shorts.

I was only shot down three times-- pushing a bad position and outnumbered behind enemy lines.

AA around airfields and rail yards caused some POW time. But being a whiz at SERE we got out and E&E home.

The real DULL part was trying to climb up with the early "no power" kites.

I did all of this while recovering from a rotator cuff operation with LOTS of time.

It was great fun to get a new airplane and see just how it did against the enemy. Loved the Tri plane painted mine RED also.

CW3SF

Stratos, the best I've managed in a DiD campaign was about nine months and that was flying with EXTREME caution. It ended when I crashed and was captured. As of late I have switched to flying the "Die Roll" setting with all other realism factors max'd out, I feel this is more accurate than being killed on every little flip or hard landing, (which tends to be the case with Dead is Dead). Our RL counterparts walked away from many a crash and bad landing, or at least lived to recuperate and return to the fight later on. My current campaign pilot Paul Blum was out for five months recovering from a wreck he had, which is one reason he has "survived" for over eight months of the War at this point.

That is one of the great things about this sim, you can tweak the settings and parameters to fit your own personal taste and enjoyment. Uncleal's method of self-imposing a set guideline for crash outcomes in the "Pilot Never Dies" setting is a great example of this, and works very well.

Remember, if you crash and walk away five times, you are considered to be an enemy ace.:grin:

:rofl: Damn - you got me unmasked, Jarhead! Now I can only hope, that Mercedes will help me

with a new identity in another Jasta. After all, they sell many more engines through my help!

I have yet to have a single pilot reach that magical 17 minutes mark.