Sign in to follow this  
ace888

Any suggestions for converting the following Kurnass skins to SF2?

http://combatace.com/files/file/6083-f-4e-kurnass-high-res-skins-for-woi/

I have been trying to convert the above skin to SF2I with no luck? I figure it is the SF1 aircraft .LOD and the way the skin was made...?

I am thinking of using the stock WOI F-4E Kurnass and convert the entire aircraft with the added skins and see if that works.

It would be such a waste not being able to use the excellent Kurnass skins.

Any input would be appreciated.

they've all been rempped ... therefore, 1stGens don't quite fit anymore (some more, some less than others). Other than making a new templete from scratch, that's how it is

Sundowner may have a new Kurnass template, why not ask him and start skining?

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Any input would be appreciated.

Download the skins you linked and start comparing them, with the new mapped SF2I Kurnass skins. Cut and paste as necessary. You might actually begin skinning on your own.

Or you can continue waiting to see if Ant has the time to redo the whole lot.

Wrench/ Storm

Thanks for the input... I'll give it a try.

Guys,

I need to get adobe photoshop to do the skin, correct?

How do you use the templates to make the skin?

I did a quick look through on the knowledge section of both SF1 and SF2. There is information on how to use photoshop to do the skin but no information as to which program to view and use the templates or skins of other people's work?

Thanks

Get The Gimp, it's free and pretty close to PS in how it works (so they say ... I use Photoshop)

wrench

kevin stein

ace888 Gimp is a good program for what you seem to want to do. I have used it to transfer the old USAF Green skin from Gen 1 to Gen 2. but as has been said earlier you will need to do a buncha comparision and cut and paste in it. also it will let you work with tga files that are used for decals. it will take time (i;ve been workin it for a year and just figured out how to work layers!) but is worth it esp for the price.

oh and get the tutorial for Gimp dont be stubbborn with the trail and error like me:grin:

Thank you all for the information. A lot of readying and tweaking to do.

Hi ace888. You've got nothing to lose by getting GIMP. I find it so easy to use compared to Photoshop Elements and I use it to make all of my decals and to do the little bit of skinning/adapting that I do.

As STORM has suggested you'll need to open up each individual BMP from whatever skin you are trying to adapt and also open up the stock BMP to compare and contrast. Even better, you can copy each different BMP (i.e. third-party and stock) into a new file (save as a PSD) to make your first layered templates and then either turn on and turn off a layer to see the layer below or set one layer at, say, 25% opacity to do the compare and contrast thing. That's how I adapted the F-4M RAF Camo skin to make it fit the F-4E. You'll pick it up easy enough. Oh, and the SimmersPaintShop (as recommended by hgbn) is worth a visit as that's where I learned how to make decals - I was totally clueless at first!

Spinners

Thank you sir for the information, as you are one of the communities' TOP Skinner around pleasantry.gif

I have not look into Gimp or Photoshop, although, looking at some of the information so far... it is pretty cool!

STORM!!!

You are the man for the day! I use your advise and IT WORK!!!!!!!!

1. I went into the objectdata for SF2 and locate the decals for Kurnass_73 (the one I use to do the decal test). I copy and paste one of the decal file on to my desk top and rename it IDFCamo 3 (since IDF Camo 1 and 2 was made by TK).

2. I rename all 5 of the skin mash on the Sundowners number IAF6 WOI skin to match the Kurnass_73 mash skin (the one I use to do the test).

3. I deleted the skin mash on the IDFCamo 3 file and copy the rename IAF6 files onto the IDFCamo 3 file.

4. On the IDFCamo 3 "decals notepad", I deleted all the "filenameformat" assigned to it since Sundowner already made the decals on the skin mash.

5. On the IDFCamo 3 "textureset notepad", I assigned a testureset for #3, which is the IAF6 skin (105 Squadron, the Scorpions).

6. I copy the new IDFCamo 3 and paste it on objectdata012 under Kurnass_73.

7. I made a new decal folder for F-4E_Kurnass_73 to place the IDFCamo 3 file.

So I tested it, and it SHOW UP! I have a screen shot, trying to upload it now.

gallery_32885_43_11164.jpg Edited by ace888

I think I will reset all the 6 skins to the Kurnass_78... looks better Salute.gif

Skinning is addictive. There is always something out there that you've wished to have in game. This is how it starts.

Nice work on yours.

Good luck.

-Storm

Edited by ST0RM