Sign in to follow this  
Wodin

Bloody April Campaign?

I was looking through the OFF files and came across "Bloody April" file in the campaign folder...anyone know what this is about? Is it a left over from CFS3?

Thanks

Wodin when you get the chance just google it and you can find more of the details. Short and sweet it refers to April 1917 where for a period the German air service dominated the allies in which the loss ratio was something like 4/1 in their favor. This also leads to the challenge to "live" for 17 hours or more. During this period the reality was that most did not.

To be exact, Bloody April refers to the heavy casualties the British flying units suffered during that month in 1917, losing 245 aircraft to Germany's 66. The French air force didn't suffer that much, as their pilots were usually better trained and thus had better tactics than the British, and also during Bloody April they didn't fly as actively as the British (many French units were in the process of receiving new aircraft), who had their major offensive at Arras. The RFC was able to take the casualties and keep flying, but they had to rethink their tactics and training methods after Bloody April. Germany's defensive fighter strategy really payed off during that month, making it their most successful period in the air war.

I think what he's asking is why is there a seperate Bloody April Campaign file in the OFF install Folder (on a Laptop atm so can't look for the exact file, but I remember seeing it too) - so the question is more as to why it has its own seperate file, rather than a historical question.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

I was looking through the OFF files and came across "Bloody April" file in the campaign folder...anyone know what this is about? Is it a left over from CFS3?

Thanks

Its non functional and is a remnant of trying to use the CFS3 Campaign engine for WW1 - that was even pre Phase1!

Of course Bloody April is flyable its just that that file is not used.

HTH

WM

Wodin, I'm just wondering if you are in our OFF Forum Pilots Maps already or not?

If you PM me your home town and country/state, I'll add you in.

Edited by Olham

Blimey...I know all about Bloody April I just wondered why there was a campaign file when as far as I know you can't access a specfic campaign.

@uncleal....I have a collection of over 400 WW1 books, many on the airwar, so funny enough I know about Bloody April....I may be miss reading your tone but your coming across as offhand and rude.

@Mike and Winder your spot on on what I was asking..thought that was the case..Thankyou

@Olham...will do thanks

@Hasse thanks for taking time out to explain. I'm afraid I already know but again thanks mate

Edited by Wodin

Over 400 books on the subject! Well done Wodin, another OFF'er with an extensive personal Great War library. Do you issue cards perchance? :smile:

uncleal, you've said many times throughout these fora that "the only stupid question is the one that's never asked." Now you rip this guy for asking a "stupid question." Respectfully, you've shone a poor light upon yourself.

I may be miss reading your tone but your coming across as offhand and rude.

He often does, pay no mind and above all don't take it personally... that's just Uncleal. He has 'For-ettes' (that's the online version of Tourette's, btw) - heart of gold, though. :grin:

Forette's...AAAAAAAAAAAH HAAA HAAA HAAAAAAA! :rofl:

I don't care who ya are. That right there, that's funny.

What a Clintonian explanation.

@Hasse thanks for taking time out to explain. I'm afraid I already know but again thanks mate

No problem. With that book collection, I bet you could tell me more about the war than I could ever tell you. Are you perhaps trying to compete with the Library of Congress? Definitely puts my modest collection to shame. :grin:

You will surely never get accused for charming anyone, UncleAl.

And JFM is right there - you acted against your own principles.

I remember you helped me, when I was a newbie in the old OFF Forum, so I can't say anything you'd deserve now.

The question was not at all stupid - as you may see from Winder's answer.

But perhaps we better change the subject now - I don't want you getting banned again, so short before Xmas.

But perhaps we better change the subject now - I don't want you getting banned again, so short before Xmas.

A Christmas cookie for you Olham, and a glass of milk, for trying to help the crazy old man. Happy Holidays!

Hmmmm - Christmas cookie! Crunch! Grmpf!! Crumb!! Crunch!!!

Cookies! I like coooookieeees!

Did you Americans know, that the German television bought the "Sesame Street" series?

Later, they banned Oscar (the monster in the dustbin - was his name Oscar in the US?)

from it, cause they found he was too destructive or to negatively unpolite.

Reminds me of someone - but I found it a pity; I loved the frank monster Oscar.

One scene I still remember, BigBird and Suzanne brought him a knitted yellow wool cap

for his birthday. So they knocked at his bin. First he did was complaining, who made all

that noise. Then, when he had got the cap, he complained:

"Argh! It's totally new - and so terribly clean! I'll have to pour half a gallon of waste oil over

it, before I could like it!"

As I said - reminds me of someone.

Edited by Olham

Nothing wrong with coating it in waste oil Herr Olham... keeps your head warmer...

Maybe I could have rephrased the question...however I thought everyone on here would know all about Bloody April so I suppose I was a little vague in what I was wanting to know i.e why was there a file call Bloody April in the campaigns folder when you couldn't play specific campaigns...

So I apologise....

Yes I have a slightly over the top book collection ( I have personally bought about 150 or so the rest where inherited. I also have a fair few books on WW2 mainly the East Front) and not all have been read and a fair few have only been part read as they didn't hold my interest as we all know not all books are good even on a subject we may be obsessed with...not all are academic a fair few are novels....I have a fair amount of memoirs aswell. Out of all those books my favourite series is Jack Sheldons The German Army.....series. His fifth in the series on Ypres 1914 is supposed to have been published recently but I'm still waiting on it....it's a superb series and highly recommended.

Edited by Wodin

Wodin, I envy you your inheritance Sir, I've had to purchase nearly all the volumes on my WWI shelves. And since we are on the subject, here's my current library inventory, (and yes I know I've mentioned this numerous times over in the past, but I just can't help myself). :grin:

Personal Narratives and Biographies:

"A Flying Fighter", E.M. Roberts, (1918 1st Edition)

"Airmen O' War", Boyd Cable, (1918 1st Edition)

"An Airman Marches", Harold Balfour, (Vintage Aviation Library Edition)

"An Aviator’s Field-Book", Oswald Bolcke, English Translation, (1917 1st Edition)

"A Rattle Of Pebbles: The First World War Diaries Of Two Canadian Airmen", Brereton Greenhous, (1987 1st Edition)

“Beyond the Tumult”, Barry Winchester, (1971 1st Edition)

"Cavalry of the Clouds", Alan ‘Contact’ Bott, (1918 1st Edition)

"Cloud Country", Jimmie Mattern, (1936 Pure Oil 1st Edition) 3-volume set

"Days on the Wing", Willy Coppens, English Translation, (1931 1st Edition)

"Death in the Air", William Heinemann, (1933 Edition) (famous faked aerial photos)

"Double-Decker C.666", Haupt Heydemarck, English Translation, (1931 1st Edition)

"En L’air!", Bert Hall, (1918 1st Edition)

"Fighting the Flying Circus", Edward Rickenbacker, (1919 1st Edition)

"Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps", James McCudden, (1918 1st Edition)

"Flying for France", James McConnell, (1917 1st Edition)

"Go Get 'Em!", William Wellman, (1918 1st Edition)

"Guynemer, Knight of the Air", Henry Bordeaux, English Translation, (1918 1st Edition)

"Heaven High, Hell Deep", Norman Archibald, (1935 Signed 1st Edition)

"High Adventure", James Norman Hall, (1918 1st Edition)

"Immelmann: The Eagle of Lille", Franz Immelmann, English Translation, (1930 1st Edition)

"In The Clouds Above Bagdad", J.E. Tennant, (1920 1st Edition)

"Kitchener's Mob", James Norman Hall, (1916 1st Edition)

"Letters From a Flying Officer", Rothsay Stuart Wortlrey, (1928 1st Edition)

"Memories of World War 1", William Mitchell, (1960 Edition)

"Night Bombing with the Bedouins", Robert Reece, (Battery Press Edition)

"Nocturne Militaire", Elliot White Springs, (1934 Edition)

“No Parachute”, Arthur Gould Lee, (1970 1st US printing)

"Rovers of the Night Sky", W.J. ‘Night-Hawk’ Harvey, (Vintage Aviation Library Edition)

"Sagittarius Rising", Cecil Lewis, (1936 Edition, 1st US printing)

"Stepchild Pilot", Joseph Doerflinger, (1959 1st Edition)

"The Flying Poilu", Marcel Nadaud, English Translation (1918 1st Edition)

"The Red Knight of Germany", Floyd Gibbons, (1927 1st Edition)

"The Way of the Eagle", Charles Biddle, (1919 1st Edition)

"True Stories of the Great War", (1918 1st Edition) 6-volume set

"Up And At 'Em", Harold Hartney, (1940 1st Edition)

"War Birds; Diary of an Unknown Aviator", Elliot White Springs, (1926 1st Edition)

"Whom The Gods Love", Lewis C. Merrill, (1953 1st Edition)

"Wind in the Wires", Duncan Grinnell-Milne, (1918 1st Edition)

"Winged Warfare", William Bishop, (1918 1st Edition)

"Winged Peace", William Bishop, (1940 1st Edition)

"With the Earth Beneath", A.R. Kingsford, (1936 1st Edition)

History, Reference, and General Interest Books:

"Air Aces of the 1914-1918 War", Bruce Robertson, (1964 Edition)

"Aircraft of Today", Charles Turner, (1917 1st Edition)

"Aviation in Canada 1917-18", Alan Sullivan, (1919 1st Edition)

"Colliers New Photographic History of the World War", (1917 Edition)

"Decisive Air Battles of the First World War", Arch Whitehouse, (1963 1st Edition)

"Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War", W.M. Lamberton, (1964 Edition)

"Flying The Old Planes", Frank Tallman, (1973 Edition)

"Fragments From France", Bruce Bairnsfather, (1917 1st Edition) (Great War cartoons by the master of the genre)

"Heros of Aviation", Laurence La Tourette Driggs, (1919 1st Edition)

"Historic Airships", Rupert Holland, (1928 1st Edition)

"History and Rhymes of the Lost Battalion", L.C. McCollum, (1929 Edition)

"History of the World War", Francis March, (1918 1st Edition)

"History of the Great World War", Rolt-Wheeler and Drinker, (1919 1st Edition)

"Land and Water" Magazine, (entire April through September 1917 series, hard bound, ex-library copy)

"National Geographic" Magazine, (entire 1918 series, hard bound, ex-library copy)

"Reconnaissance & Bomber Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War", W.M. Lamberton, (1962 Edition)

"Source Records of the Great War", (1923 1st Edition) 7-volume set

"The First War Planes", William Barrett, (1960 Edition) (the one that started it all for me)

"The Great Air War", Aaron Norman, (1968 Edition)

"The Great War", George H. Allen, (1919 1st Edition) 5-volume set

"The Great War in the Air", Edgar Middleton, (1920 1st Edition) 4-volume set

"The Lafayette Flying Corps", by James Hall and Charles Nordhoff, (1964 Kennikat Press limited edition two-volume set)

"The United States in the Great War", Willis Abbot, (1919 1st Edition)

"The U.S. Air Service in World War I", Maurer Maurer, (1978 1st Edition) 4-volume set

"True Stories of the Great War", (1918 1st Edition) 6-volume set

"U.S. Official Pictures of the World War", Moore and Russell, (1924 1st Edition) 4-volume set

1920 World Book Encyclopedia, (entire set with addendums, great for cross-referencing in an historical context)

"Time-Life Epic of Flight", 23-volume set, (not old and not strictly WWI but still a lot of good info and photos)

"The War in the Air", Raleigh and Jones, (1st Edition) 9-volume set including map cases, (originally in the military library at Whitehall; my personal Jewel of the Crown)

Instructional Books:

"Aeroplane Construction and Operation", John Rathbun, (1918 1st Edition)

"English-French War Guide for Americans in France", Eugene Maloubier, (1918 Edition)

"Learning to Fly in the U.S. Army", E.N. Fales, (1917 1st Edition)

"Lewis Machine Gun ‘Airplane Type’ Service and Operation Manual", (1918 Edition)

"Manual Of Rigging Notes Technical Data", (1918, possible reprint)

"Practical Flying", W.G. Minnies, (1918 1st Edition)

"The Art of Reconnaissance", David Henderson, (1916 1st Edition)

"Science of Pre-Flight Aeronautics", (1942 Edition)

"Self-Help for the Citizen Soldier", Moss and Stewart, (1915 1st Edition)

I do dearly love old books.

Cheers!

Lou

"None have previously asked what I called a 'Stupid' question, would the term 'Idiotic' have been more fitting"

UncleAl - don't you think that that's exactlythe sort of attitude - sneering I would say - that pisses people off? Why don't you simply NOT post replies if all you're going to do is get s**tty with people and leave them with a bad impression of CombateAce?

Don't you think you ought to take a few moments before you post replies that are simply offensive to people?