Hi guys, im looking to improve my framerates, i just did a campaign mission over Hanoi and my framerates slowed down beyond belief, its not happened before but the amount of aircraft and SAMs flying about during Linebacker II almost froze my game, Ive been using Nhancer with recommended settings from a forum on this site but it hasnt helped and without Nhancer I have the same results.

These are my computer specs (this pc is set up for SF2 and SF2 only, I run nothing else on this system

AMD 4400 Dual Core Processor

4GB RAM

500GB Hard Drive (450GB Free)

Windows XP

Nvidia 8800GTS 250MB Graphics Card

TrackIR5 Headset System

I have a merged install with SF2 V/I/E, the only major mod i have is starkys Green Hell3, no other supermods etc installed.

I mostly fly default aircraft 90% of the time.

Any help greatly appreciated as I am a recent recruit to the SF2 series after 6 hardcore years of FS2004.

You need more VRAM. A video adapter with 1 GB of VRAM is considered routine today. Also, lower your horizon distance to normal (if you have not donw so already)...that's the absolute biggest frame rate killer in a stock or mildly modded install.

Video Ram....you've stated that your GeForce 8800 has 256 mb of it.

so i need a 1GB graphics card then? Do you have any recomendations on cards, naturally I will google cards to find a good one, but im open to reviews from other flyers to upgrade my system, and thanks Fubar for taking the time out to answer my post, much appreciated.

Any good Nvidia or ATI card will do....you do not need a $200-$300 card....I'm using a GeForce 250GTS and I often exceed 100 FPS, and average in the 40s and 50s, with lows in the high 20s-low 30s.

Edited by Fubar512

do you think it may be worth while for me to upgrade to Windows 7 too if I was to go for this graphics card to take advantage of DX10 as im running DX9c at the moment or would my system require more upgrades, it would be nice to just upgrade my graphics card and be done there.

Upgrading to Windows 7 and using dx10 would see a definate increase in framerates. I've used a few graphics cards as I regularly upgrade my system. Its really dependant on what you want to spend. A GTS 250, GTX 260 or GTX 280 would be an excellent upgrade. There are many good 2nd hand deals on ebay for these. However if you can afford it I know the new GTX 460's with 1024mb perform well. I currently use a GTX 470.

The vietnamsea terrain especially around Hanoi and Haiphong will stress cpu and gpu processing power the most within SF2.

To be honest im on a small budget for a new graphics card due to spending alot of money at Christmas on my kids so the cheaper the card the better, i was looking at the "NVIDIA GT240 / 1GB / PCI Express 2.0" which is about £80 new. Maybe later in the year I may be able to afford a bigger upgrade!!

Im hoping somone on the forum has the GT240 and will be able to review the GT240 on SF2 as theres nothing on Google about running SF2 with this card. I know they say "You get what you pay for" but im happy with my graphics at the moment its just the framerates that i am concerned with whenever I fly over Hanoi.

I'd say the GT240 ain't an ideal choice

I know it's cheap, but it's performances in game is less than what you need...

I'd say the GT240 ain't an ideal choice

I know it's cheap, but it's performances in game is less than what you need...

I'll cross that one off the list then, thanks for the "heads up" sony!!

Well Ati hd 5750 is cheap and has nice performance, replaced my older 4650 and now SF2 is a lot faster even that it has 512mb vram.

Well Ati hd 5750 is cheap and has nice performance, replaced my older 4650 and now SF2 is a lot faster even that it has 512mb vram.

I found this one which is probobly the maximum I can afford right nowI:-

ATI Radeon HD 5750 / 1GB / PCI Express 2.0 / Graphics Card £79.99

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/12041650/PowerColor-ATI-Radeon-HD-5750-1GB-PCI-Express-2-0-Graphics-Card/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&searchstring=5750&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

Ive never had an ATI card before I've always used Nvidia for the last 15 years

Having a newer graphics card with 1 GB will allow you to run at the same frame rate or even slightly faster than you are now, with most of the eye candy turned on. But anything that's dependent on processing power (trees, large numbers of complex objects, horizon distance) will still slow you down, until you upgrade to a faster, more capable processor and faster RAM.

Upgrading to Windows 7 and using dx10 would see a definate increase in framerates

Agreed. My set-up (using a modest 8800GT video card) has seen XP, Vista and W7 operating systems and everything Third Wire SF1 and SF2. The difference in frame rates and smoothness using W7 is very noticeable and things only go 'slide show' when there are loads of props in the air.

okay heres's what im going to do:-

1. Purchase a copy Windows 7

2. Install DX10

3. Reinstall SF2 V/I/E

I will then run through the same scenario over Hanoi and see if there is any improvements, if not i will purchase an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and hopefully things will be much more improved, like I said earlier I am happy with the graphics quality its just the framerates at certain scenario's, I have 4GB RAM already installed.

Edited by GunnySonics

2. Install DX10

3. Reinstall SF2 V/I/E

I will then run through the same scenario over Hanoi and see if there is any improvements, if not i will purchase an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and hopefully things will be much more improved, like I said earlier I am happy with the graphics quality its just the framerates at certain scenario's, I have 4GB RAM already installed.

Dont forget that you will need Windows 7 x64 too be able to utillize all of your RAM.

2. Install DX10

3. Reinstall SF2 V/I/E

Hi Gunny,

If your willing to shop around on ebay for a 2nd hand bargain Nvidia GTS 250's and GTX 260's are available in your price range.

Regarding your problem with the Vietnamsea terrain, the problem is because of the amount of AAA and SAMS, the concentration of them in one area is significantly higher than the Germany and Desert terrains. Are you running the stock game or the Vietnam Expansion mod pack from here. I ask this as I have several backed up versions of the Vietnamsea target files with reduced AAA and SAMS, they take very little away from the gameplay but help with framerates. I'd be happy to share them with you.

Edited by Boostjunky

Boostjunky, i am running the Green Hell3 mod on top of the stock SF2 Vietnam, this is the only mod I have installed, I would appreciate any files you can share to improve framerates and I have also taken your advice on upgrading to a secondhand GTS250/260 from ebay.

Many Thanks

I'd like to say a huge thanks to Boostjunky for resolving this issue for me, not only did he take the time to email the files i needed but he gave me comprehensive installation instructions, the result was much better framerates and a few very nice additions of some ground "eye candy" objects/targets.

Thanks again mate, you're a credit to the community :clapping: