Sign in to follow this  

I think it's from the same people responsible for YAP. Might be good but I have herd lots of bad stuff about those guys.

'Rising Sun'

It'll be the same as YAP, meaning packages of item, missions, terrains, aircrft/ground objects. Supposed to cover the war from Pearl Harbor to The Surrender.

They been advertising it for nearly a year over at SHQ

wrench

kevin stein

These are my opinions on RS. And that is all these are. Opinions. Well, most of it anyway... No offense intended to anyone and it's not meant to be personal.

I'll be totally honest, all personal and ethical issues aside:

• Rising Sun doesn't look nearly as good as IL-2 (IMHO). And I can run IL-2 maxed out on my laptop. Rising Sun (ie WoX) I could use medium settings at best.
  • I think IL-2 does a WAAAYYYY better job at simulating the feel and sensation of flying a prop aircraft (IMHO) than the SF series.
  • IL-2 1946 inludes WAAAYYYY more aircraft/missions/campaigns out of the box, including all the Pacific Theater stuff.
  • IL-2 1946 is cheaper.

The only thing IL-2 doesn't do is "tell stories" the way the YAP/RS sun adverstises their product to do. Does that interest me at all? No. I read books and watch the Miliatary Channel for that.

Does Rising Sun look pretty cool? Yes. Is it neat what they've done with the SF engine? Yes. Would I install it and give it at try if it was free? Absolutely. Would I pay for it? Not a chance.

Edited by malibu43
  • Like 1

someone once e-mailed me to take a close look at one of the Jap bombers that looked very close to mine..I just shrugged it off

malibu: I take you've never flown any of the WW2 stuff that some of us have been/had busted their balls on for SF/Wo* since 2003??? All the aircraft, skins, terrain mods and so forth??? (mind you, a LOT of the stuff is VERY long in the tooth, and in dire need of new models, let alone FMs that wrok in 08/SF2)

Does IL2 look better? Sure do!

Does IL2 have the moddability the SF/Wo* series has? No that I've ever heard.

Is RS an alternavie? Could be; not having any money to spend (or, at all actually!), I really can't spead to it.

As to the rest, it's a long, dirty story and I ain't going there (and yes, I've also heard that my ring-and-bead gunsight, that I made for Wolf's Tomahawk/P-40B/P-36 somehow made it's way there too. I'm beyond caring)

wrench

kevin stein

malibu: I take you've never flown any of the WW2 stuff that some of us have been/had busted their balls on for SF/Wo* since 2003??? All the aircraft, skins, terrain mods and so forth??? (mind you, a LOT of the stuff is VERY long in the tooth, and in dire need of new models, let alone FMs that wrok in 08/SF2)

Does IL2 look better? Sure do!

Does IL2 have the moddability the SF/Wo* series has? No that I've ever heard.

Is RS an alternavie? Could be; not having any money to spend (or, at all actually!), I really can't spead to it.

As to the rest, it's a long, dirty story and I ain't going there (and yes, I've also heard that my ring-and-bead gunsight, that I made for Wolf's Tomahawk/P-40B/P-36 somehow made it's way there too. I'm beyond caring)

wrench

kevin stein

OK. Looking back at my post now, I can see that it may have sent the wrong message.

I did not intend to offend anyone who has put time and effort into all the WW2 stuff for the SF series. From what I've seen, it all looks pretty impressive (as are most of the mods that are out there for SF). Rising Sun actually looks very impressive, and, like I said, if it was free I'd try it in a heart beat. But, like I said, I can see how my post may have inadvertently conveyed a different message.

And, to answer your question, no, I haven't really tried much of the WW2 stuff. So I don't have much room to talk, then, do I?

Rising Sun as payware just doesn't make any sense to me given what's already out there. That's all I meant and all I should have said.

Beers on me.

:drinks:

Edited by malibu43

:drinks:

2nd round on my, brother!! That is, if you don't mind Diet Pepsi!! :lol:

wrench

kevin stein

Sounds good to me! I don't discriminate when it comes to virtual beverages!

Looks good.

Of course I'll irratate the skinners for A-20s in an over water blue scheme. B-25s modded up as PBJs.

And PB4Ys, PBMs. Anything with more moving parts then a jeep or kubelwagen I'll snivel for SEAC skins also.

I'm with Wrench Tho!

Edited by charlielima

Il2 has a great modability, they are creating some good airplanes with a far higher quality standart than Sf ever offered.

Where ????? from what I understood it almost takes a Genius and a miracle to model and ad a new plane to IL2... and they are offering no help

funny they show shots of spitfire (nice) with my Madagascar tree mod in the background (not nice, not at all)

IF it wasn't from that particular guy I'd but it instantly... I have and love Razbam planes, it's just the 05 that gives me creeps...

as for "telling stories" -do they have in-game scripted voiceovers? :rofl:

It's total crap, missions are nothing like you would expect as story telling, they have no background, nothing really, 80% of models are re-use from YAP or available as free here and other places. Stay away.

Kevin, I think this is your gunsight:

here's me flying with one wing, all you need to do is aplly opposite rudder the good old way:

oh, my favourite quote from Zerocinco, SimHQ Rising Sun forum:

Well, we would certainly like to beg/borrow/buy/lease/steal them after a walkaround. We need several P-38's, and a Ki-61.

I think he aims at 10 naive guys that have no idea about modding, free mods availability and this site (no suprise, you won't ever hear about any release here over at SQH)

grrr... rant off

oh, his EULA :lol: made me LOL, specificially the part about showing the in game shots in negative way...

(saad, very very sad, as few A/C models are nice)

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1