EricJ

SF2 Series DACT Reports And Related A2A Discussions (Game only)

Supposedly but since I fly with assymetric loadouts on the Super Bug I don't want to fight the airplane since I need to fight it. Besides I didn't feel any difference during a test so not sure to be quite honest with.

Me: F-29A Polecat with 4 x AIM-9X and 2 x AIM-120, centerline tank and gun.

Opposition: F-22A with 2 x AIM-9X and 6 x AIM-120, gun

In all honesty the fight took a massive 1 minute and 38 seconds. The F-22 had to be goaded into the fight and once committed he tried to shake me. And from the opposite experience I wasn't surprised that I could maneuver with the F-22, never letting it get behind me. And with the very high maneuverability of the F-29, I decided to just end the fight as there wasn't much of a fight here. Fired my first AIM-9X, hitting the Raptor but it kept on flying. Let it go for a little bit to see if it was dead and shot it down with a second AIM-9X.

Takeaway is that the F-29 from the shooter perspective ia as from the AI's perspective. Granted I only went up against the Raptor only the future will hold for future opponents.

post-5735-0-65079200-1299847538.jpg

post-5735-0-23500500-1299847552.jpg

post-5735-0-85853900-1299847564.jpg

post-5735-0-78835300-1299847581.jpg

post-5735-0-23257300-1299847596.jpg

I use "Hard" because I'm usually not flying the new, super-modern hardware (and normally the Turkey, which I feel I can throw around better on "Hard")

See, that's what I feel! :good:

SidDogg

Me: F/A-18F EPE with 2 x AIM-9X, 8 x AIM-120 and gun

Opposition: F-29A with 2 x AIM-9M and 2 x AIM-120 and gun.

Unlike the "normal" Super Hornet the EPE F version is better versus the Polecat (over time) than the stock jet. Same situation as before as I started this time full burner which at the start cost me some edge as I was going bout Mach 1.04 or so and blacking out with the hard pull of the stick. Finally throttled down to mil power and regained control of the situation and started on his tail, then his nose, his tail and then his nose. Fact of the matter is that if you go over the top the F-29A it'll reverse into you trying to get a bead on you for a missile or gun kill. Eventually (I would say one minute or so) I felt I had a good shot with a 9X and took it. For some reason instead of staying airborne it decided to attack the Downey Industrial Center than the Polecat. Okay got it had one 9X so pressed for a kill. Again more turning into each other and one turn into me he tried to spike me with a Sidewinder missing without countermeasures (frankly I was thinking about it spiking me, deer in the headlights and all that) and we continued on. And by reviewing the screenshot I had simply gotten lucky by being out of position by a nanofart when it launched. By this time I was at afterburner as previously mentioned the Polecat will drive your energy down while you struggle with your own. Since I only had one 9X (I had thought while turning about an AMRAAM shot, even tried to set one up but ended up going to guns, read on) left I went for a better shot (though honestly I would have had a better chance had I dual fired on the first attempt) spending some more time turning and burning. Once I got to a good position (I felt anyways) I fired my last 9X and I thought it tracked fine but the coast and ground obscured the smoke trail but my gut told me "it's not dead yet Jim" and so as said went for a guns kill. By this time I figgered that I was down 20-25% fuel since I was on burner most of the time and feeling more lighter as I was getting closer and so I waited until it was "just right" and sprayed and prayed with the gun. Well apparently God himself liked me as I got a cockpit shot. I had seen something fly off or thought I did, pausing the game to get the appropriate screenshot since the sequence is out of order and waited to make sure as it landed in LA.

Takeaways. Energy and energy management when dealing with the Polecat.

post-5735-0-25670400-1299861276.jpg

post-5735-0-92251200-1299861655.jpg

post-5735-0-44240500-1299861712.jpg

post-5735-0-12826500-1299861849.jpg

post-5735-0-36718200-1299862143.jpg

post-5735-0-43139800-1299862427.jpg

post-5735-0-80307300-1299863057.jpg

Edited by EricJ

Bout 1, 2, and 3

Me: F-14B_96 with 4 x AIM-9X

Opposition: F-29A with 2 x AIM-9M and 2 x AIM-120

I decided "what the hell" and tried the F-14 on Hard and agreed, it actually flies better than what I was used to on Normal, but doesn't mean I'm going to change.

1st Bout

Had 2 x tanks as well as 100% fuel. I started behind him and began maneuvering and we passed each other and I missed a missile launch and before my death I got into a classic Top Gun spin, literally spinning around and around. I applied my old Lock On technique by throttling down and managed to catch the last view of the Polecat as it gunned me from above:

post-5735-0-03719000-1299889990.jpg

post-5735-0-12527600-1299890001.jpg

2nd bout

Me: F-14B_96 same as above

Opposition: F-29A same as above.

Not much different other than I managed to evade it for a bit but as you can tell from the screenshots it was waiting for me to make a mistake and yes it found one and shot me down when I was going vertical. The only other particular note is that for less than a minute I had a pure easy shot. Should have taken it but this is to figure out what works and what doesn't.

post-5735-0-46640200-1299890151.jpg

post-5735-0-81015300-1299890206.jpg

post-5735-0-20527400-1299890216.jpg

post-5735-0-86963100-1299890226.jpg

3rd bout

Same as above

The only notation is that the F-29A turned into me realizing I was behind him. His radar was pinging my RWR fierce as he flew by. The best thing to not do is go vertical with this plane as again I went vertical trying to find the bastich (it is very small) and therefore when i went vertical it went vertical. And for this bout I was at 75% fuel.

Takeaways. Ceasar may get better results but my impression is that the F-14 is just too old and not as maneuverable and too heavy. It is not a Scooter and not an F-16 which have conventional aerodynamics, the F-29 can turn inside of that too probably (a good idea for a bout). The intent is that the aircraft can turn so well in a knife fight that a guns kill and a 9X, not 9M or earlier kill is difficult but with enough persistence it can be done, maybe. The top screenshot shows where the F-29A was say... ten seconds at the start.

post-5735-0-10144800-1299890585.jpg

post-5735-0-40159800-1299890612.jpg

Me: F-29A with 2 x AIM-9M and 2 x AIM-120, gun and tank

Opposition: F-14A with 4 x IRIS-T and 4 x AIM-7M (how they got on there who knows...)

Hard FM

Flying the Polecat requires some patience on Hard FM. First bout I managed to throw myself into a spin just like that, not good. Ended that and restarted the fight. The F-14 came around but I turned into him to force him to go past me without a shot, and he did but I did not know at the time he had off-boresight missiles. Had he been on the ball yeah he would have gotten me but he came low and came up while I tracked him and he stayed low for a little bit then came up missing me I guess for a gun pass or again had he been on the ball he would have gotten me. But he went high and he went low, I stayed high and speared him with an AIM-9M, total time one minute 26 seconds.

Takeaways.. On Hard FM the uber cool maneuverability should be taken into consideration as its too much for the game and forces you into an unrecoverable spin. Play it easy but firm and you'll beat the system and also your opponent.

post-5735-0-82044900-1299894252.jpg

post-5735-0-11152400-1299894267.jpg

post-5735-0-47260700-1299894291.jpg

How to kill zee "Polecat" in zee "Tomcat"? FLY SLOW! Beat the guy twice, and it was all from slow-speed maneuvering, though I would have had him the second time on fuel (he never came out of burner, and I did, AND I got more gas than him!) before I shot him in the face with an AIM-9M. Both fights took a good chunk of time to complete (4 and 5+ mins), and neither ended with a gun kill (tried first time, but it didn't work).

In both fights, my Turkey Beast took 75% fuel, no tanks, clean pancake. First fight had 4x AIM-9X (bit of a cheat with the Turkey), second fight had 4x AIM-9M. The F-29A had 100% fuel, no tanks, 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120A's. Both fighters had guns.

The first fight, I had no plan to try a sustained fight - I wanted to get nose-on as fast as possible, so loaded 9g on the Turkey and cut the throttles. The Pole did the same thing, but he got nose-on at the same time I did. FOX 2, two times! Nope, neither guides. We passed by, and I went nose-high to try to do a loop to get nose-on. No good, he's turning too well.

img00357.jpg

I follow him for a second, but as I level, he gets inside of my turn. Damn, I'm low on energy! Put the Big Boys (flaps) down! I hold on him for a second, but overshoot, and he gets onto my tail. I'm too close for him to shoot me with an AIM-9, so I pull pure vertical, knowing (realistically) he should loose any vortex lift he had, and will now have a far higher wing loading than me. Initially, he flies SLOWER than me! I pull into a verical loop, at about 90KIAS, the Beast's GE engines push me through, but the Pole is still behind me!? WTFO? Okay, start popping flares, since he's getting nose-on and he shoots a FOX 2 at me! No chance, seeker head probably didn't even see me at the angle he was at.

img00360.jpg

The other thing I noticed is that he's working the hell outta his rudder to try to keep his nose on me. As I come down and back up from the loop, I know he can't sustain a slow speed fight, so I go nose-high again, cut engines, and homeboy comes onto my tail again. I cut engines to make it hard to stay on my six. He's loosing energy and can't keep the nose on with rudder. Plug the burner in nose straight up, and the Polecat can't sustain the slow speed fight. Combined with a pitch-moment-coupling maneuver, the Polecat gets spat out, and tries to pull away in a turn. Damn, not sure if I can turn with him. Recover the Tomcat and, as it would turn out, easily pull inside of his turn. Fired AIM-9X three, and it misses, of course, so I say hell with the angle-off shot, I'm getting direct nose-on, 0-degrees off boresight. The Tomcat with the flaps down can pitch its nose damn well, and the Polecat can't escape. Heart of the X-Ray envelope, FOX 2, good hit. He's not dead, but he enters a flat-spin. Fully develops, and the pilot bails at about 2000 feet above the desert floor.

img00366.jpg

Polecat in a flat spin, headed to the desert floor

img00371.jpg

Second fight, I did proper with AIM-9M's. This one started at a sustained 8.5g, 450KIAS turning downward one-turn fight. Neither fighter gained on the other through about 18000 feet of altitude loss. Both of us were in burner the whole time, and I realized I'd kill my fuel supply, so I put the engines into full military power from full burner to try to get on his six.

img00376.jpg

I gained and could have probably gotten a HOBS shot, but with the 9X's piss-poor performance in HOBS, I knew the Mike wouldn't do well. I lost my advantage, and then dropped my flaps to try to hang with him. The Polecat was pulling inside of me during the scissors, but we were WAY too close for missiles, and he couldn't get nose-on for a gun shot. This continued for about 2 minutes, with each of us attempting a single press into the vertical that was fruitless.

img00380.jpg

The Polecat went high again as I went nose-low (with about 1500 ft to work with), then pulled up. The Polecat was trying to get nose-on by both pressing vertically and pulling into a turn with me. I got my nose on him with no surface distractions for my Mike IR sensors, whereas the Polecat would have to contend with the desert floor. FOX 2! Face-shot, good kill! Polecat explodes above me and spirals into the desert floor.

img00381.jpg

img00388.jpg

Takeaways? Shoot the damn Polecat in the face 70 miles away! This thing is a nasty little bastard and can get inside of your turn damn quick. Fighting it one v one resulted in almost all of my fuel expended (like I said, he'd have been out, but it's questionable if I'd make it back to friendly lines to tank). Can it be beat? Yes. Is it easy, or even moderately hard? No, it's friggin' DIFFICULT AS HELL. I'll take a Fulcrum or Flanker over the Polecat any damn day of the week!

My thoughts exactly :good:

Me: F-29A Polecat with 4 x AIM-9X and tank, gun

Opposition: KF2-Hammer with 8 x IRMs

Well I can say that the KF2 is a direct match of the F-29, maybe the same FM but overall... there was no real advantage over us. SInce I started behind him I had to really goad him into committing into something. And this something turned into an energy circle. And in a similar bout, a lot of energy circles. However in this case I decided to go angular, instead of a pure vertical after getting caught in yet another energy circle. Perfect high shot that I had thought I had the drop on him from. Well I did, but in his death throes he sliced me up real nice.

Takeaway? Yep you are dealing with two comparable aircraft. He would turn and I would turn with him, and I could get out of whatever he came at me, and for the most part I had the drop on him as he'll try and get out of the fight by weaving, which shows that low FOV missiles will do for you as he'll work for that FOV but can't get it because I'm on his back (oh yeah I was supposed to fix that... guess it was good I didn't). So with Ceasar above taking on the Hammer he may be just as lucky but remember if you're not fighting the Polecat or Hammer in something with high maneuverability, shoot it from afar :good:

post-5735-0-40652400-1299904291.jpg

post-5735-0-87572900-1299904377.jpg

post-5735-0-02043600-1299904399.jpg

post-5735-0-38728400-1299904461.jpg

post-5735-0-53430900-1299904472.jpg

Me: F-22A Raptor with 2 x AIM-9X and 6 x AIM-120, gun

Opposition: PAK-FA with 2 x R-73M2 and 4 x R-77M

In a nutshell with the PAK-FA modified with real world (according to Wikipedia anyways) what happens is you get like the KF2 Hammer and the F-31: Equivalent aircraft that can't get an advantage over each other, to a degree. Started off with him right in front of me. He started with a horizontal scissors and I tried for a gun kill but he wasn't cooperating so I flew past him. Had there been a gun he would have gotten me probably. In any case what it boiled to (and if you were working at the Dowey Industrial Center was a show of two of the same aircraft. I'd turn into him, he'd turn into me and we'd pass, both vertically and horizontally. In any case he got to a position of advantage and fired his R-73M2, defeated by maneuvering rather than flares and we continued on circling each other like vultures. Eventually I selected my first 9X and tried a HOBS shot, missing him as the impact point was too far behind him while we continued the circle game (for 7 minutes and some seconds) while we both strove for good Pk kills for our IRMs. For some reason while I came over the top he extended east and I took the shot with my last 9X downing him.

When you make the aircraft to what's available online the PAK-FA is a more equal fighter. 12000 and some kilograms is not the appropriate weight for the aircraft. True Wikipedia is not the most reliable source but it's better than nothing.

post-5735-0-24317700-1299954699.jpg

post-5735-0-56845900-1299954707.jpg

post-5735-0-74335300-1299954717.jpg

post-5735-0-18812700-1299954740.jpg

post-5735-0-49665200-1299954755.jpg

post-5735-0-28873400-1299954767.jpg

post-5735-0-30903300-1299954790.jpg

post-5735-0-67634200-1299954811.jpg

post-5735-0-52296800-1299954836.jpg

I have to say that I very much like reading these DACT reports. In fact you have gotten trying to find all of the aircraft used in them. However two of them I am having difficulty finding. The "EPE" variant of the the Super Hornet (I have a normal F/A-18E/F) and the "PAK-FA" from the latest report. Would you be wiling to point me in the direction the files for those two?

Also how did you put the F-29 Polecat into a spin? I thought it was supposed to be near imposable to do that with a forward swept wing aircraft.

Agreed... can't find the PAK-FA I used either, I think it was from insky (attachment with my edits below). The EPE isn't downloadable yet or may never be depending on real-world or USN sales. I basically got tired of the lemonness and cruising better even though I'm still in the testing phase right now as for an improvement I need some more data that still isn't available to make sure I've got it right.

I have no idea on how I put it into a spin to be quite honest with you, I think I pulled too hard and next thing I know I'm like "WTF?"

Edited by Wrench

Agreed... can't find the PAK-FA I used either, I think it was from insky (attachment with my edits below). The EPE isn't downloadable yet or may never be depending on real-world or USN sales. I basically got tired of the lemonness and cruising better even though I'm still in the testing phase right now as for an improvement I need some more data that still isn't available to make sure I've got it right.

I have no idea on how I put it into a spin to be quite honest with you, I think I pulled too hard and next thing I know I'm like "WTF?"

Thank you for the reply and the file.

No problem :good:

Me: F-31A with 4 x AIM-9M and 6 x AIM-120 and gun

Opposition: F/A-18F EPE with 2 x AIM-9X and 8 x AIM-120 and gun.

As expected from the shooter point of view the F-31 handled the Fox Super Bug with ease. The only issue was SA problems due to blacking out... seems odd as I have Blackout to normal... in any case as was what I dealt with when I got blasted before happened here. I got tired of the circling and fired my first AIM-9M which at first glance I thought would have missed but tracked right into his tailpipe, blowing some of his missiles and pylons and some of the control surfaces off. He continued to fly on and he leveled off and I shot him again with another AIM-9M. He continued south and I fired my third AIM-9M and he continued on. Getting a bit annoyed I rode a burst into his engine, catching him on fire until the fire suppression systems killed the fire. So I tried to gun him down again, and after finally slowing down I blew him up with a good burst from the gun.

Takeaways? Not sure why but the Super Bug always seems to be trucking after a few hits. At first in my Mirage 2KC report I thought it was warhead weight. Maybe the AI gets more armor when he flies it as opposed to me as I tend to get blasted out of the sky with an Aphid... who knows :dntknw: And quite honestly I turned fine with the uprated Super Hornet, it was actually not too difficult once I relaxed a bit on the stick...

post-5735-0-54797300-1299979584.jpg

post-5735-0-30409400-1299979623.jpg

post-5735-0-92806700-1299979641.jpg

post-5735-0-30798100-1299979657.jpg

post-5735-0-17025200-1299979688.jpg

post-5735-0-97926900-1299979704.jpg

post-5735-0-71743400-1299979723.jpg

post-5735-0-33235900-1299979751.jpg

post-5735-0-48157600-1299979788.jpg

post-5735-0-58176500-1299979806.jpg

Me: F/A-18E Stock with 2 x AIM-9X, 2 x GBU-12, 2 x GBU-38, 1 x ATFLIR, 2 x tanks, gun.

Opposition: Su-27 Flanker with 4 x R-73, 4 x R-27R, gun.

When we started off the Flanker loves to work the scissors as it "knows" its heavier and slower and so will work the lighter (relatively as I was 62,000+ pounds while it was 55,000+ pounds) aircraft into a more advantageous position. So for the first thirty seconds I was tracking him fairly well but it would be kinda boring if I just popped him and moved on to other things. Fact is once you know how the Su-27 operates it's fairly easy to counter him because you expect it. I was on full mil power (or I thought I was as I disable the information bar on the bottom left once fight's on) or cruising trying not to get caught up in a gun solution he was setting up for me. We twisted and turned and one notation if you're a heavy fighter. Do not get into an energy fight with a more capable adversary, just saying... In any case he went vertical and I followed quite easily behind him. He leveled off and I took a shot though he was trying to turn into me, missing and from what it looks like my first 9X was defeated by both maneuvering and flares. Which was fine as I went into his kill slot for a guns kill. Well I did fire a burst but it was more like a shot across the bow as he jinked in time, slowing down. After a near mid air collision (check out that texture of the engines...) he decided that he was going to drag me down and go into another bout of an energy fight. Seriously Mister Flanker I can out maneuver you and I'm still 7,000 pounds or so heavier. In any case I lined up for a near HOBS (he was at the top of my HUD) shot and it tracked into him, exploding him.

post-5735-0-39598800-1300032737.jpg

post-5735-0-18291800-1300032764.jpg

post-5735-0-61632000-1300032787.jpg

post-5735-0-80329700-1300032812.jpg

post-5735-0-44428800-1300032842.jpg

post-5735-0-79097400-1300032871.jpg

Me: Avia S199 with guns and S199 Gun pod

Opposition: Bf10G with fuel tank.

For some odd reason I had the real inclination to do this. So I went with it and suffice to say I need to do a few things. First wipe my monitor and second improve my air to air gunnery skills with the older jets. I'm not the best with the modern jets but sometimes I just get lucky, such as this time as he only maneuvered to avoid me, and not engage me. So with my last bullets I shot him. Flying the S199 was pretty interesting as I have very little time in it so I can't really rate the props since it was my first real session with it.

post-5735-0-77912500-1300036524.jpg

post-5735-0-50538400-1300036547.jpg

post-5735-0-14203100-1300036607.jpg

post-5735-0-59534100-1300036633.jpg

Year 1972

Me: MiG-23K (or A Gepard, same thing) with 4 x R-60 and 2 x R-13 Atoll-D and tank, gun

Opposition: F-4E (78) with 4 x AIM-9J, and 4 x AIM-7 Sparrow

Quite frankly you have to goad the F-4 to do anything as it's poor rearward visibility realy keeps it to the "I'm going to evade even though the human player behind me can splash me any second" logic or algorithm. Be as it may the F-4 continued to evade my attempts at gunning it down while really in a sense I was really just trying to get some maneuver out of it. Since it was my first time flying DACT with the Flogger I have to say I was surprised at how maneuverable it was, nice piece of work but then again I was going up against a Phantom so in a sense I had the advantage versus him. As soon as he decided to commit to a real maneuver fight he energy circled me and energy circled me again and I got sick of it, went vertical and came down and launched an R-60 exploding him.

Takeaway... as above if you're a heavy fighter going into the energy fight versus a lighter or maneuverable fighter, it's just setting you up for the kill.

And is anybody else going to do any else? That's the only request I have...

post-5735-0-90651300-1300060944.jpg

post-5735-0-16379500-1300060958.jpg

post-5735-0-85379700-1300060975.jpg

post-5735-0-03200000-1300060993.jpg

post-5735-0-37793400-1300061004.jpg

Would like to see some more members post their reports too!

I have no updated my PC so I will do a few flights tonight as its about time I got back in the saddle...

Cool! :smile:

FM Hard

Me: F-14B (96) with 4 x AIM-9L, 4 x AIM-7M, gun, two tanks

Opposition: F/A-24 Shadowcat with 2 x AIM-9M, 4 x AIM-120C, gun

Molly on Molly violence commenced this morning with both aircraft dressed up in "Miss Molly" VFA/VF-111 skins... In any case the fight started out with the Shadowcat working me into a scissors and forcing me to overshoot which put me on the defensive. Overall we did a few loops, passed each other until I managed to come over the top and shoot my first "Lima" winder, which was defeated by maneuvering and decoys. Pressed the attack with the Shadowcat having some good maneuverability despite its size and he stayed on my tail with me eventually working him off. He extended east even though he had me kinda cold so I turned back into him and he turned into me as I pulled my nose right into him and fired another "Lima" shooting him down. I was only interesting that he was locked on me for a few seconds afterwards as I had thought I winged him but as the screenshot shows I got him cold.

Takeaways is the fact that the F-14B(96) is better on Hard just like Ceasar said...

post-5735-0-37263000-1300104972.jpg

post-5735-0-21146800-1300104981.jpg

post-5735-0-33037200-1300105002.jpg

post-5735-0-17595000-1300105013.jpg

post-5735-0-33243800-1300105034.jpg

Molly on Molly? hey i thought this was a family friendly forum...:rofl:

Just really had to shoot something down today. Two sets of fights, first was a 3-round in the F-14B vs. F/A-18C, second was a 1v2 against MiG-23MLD Floggers.

The F/A-18C might be lighter than the Tomcat, and overall more maneuverable, but the Turkey Beast, showing its slow speed maneuverability again came out victorious. These fights were not as hard or drawn out as fighting either the Polecat or the Viper. Out of the three fights, only once did the Hornet get a missile off, and it was way out of the envelope. In the first two fights, the Tomcat was loaded with 2x AIM-7M, 4x AIM-9M, gun, no tanks, but in the first fight I had 75% fuel, and second fight I had 100% fuel. Third fight removed the Sparrows, 100% fuel. In all fights, the F/A-18 had 2x AIM-7M, and 2x AIM-9M.

First fight started as a sustained turning fight, or at least that was the plan. The Bug used its better instantaneous turn rate to get nose on before I got mine on him. As I pulled into the vertical, knowing my Tomcat had better thrust than the Bug, the Bug fired a 9-Mike at me. Not a chance, it passed by harmlessly. I continued through the loop, put my flaps down to get my nose around faster, and the Bug pulled into me.

img00401.jpg

I did the exact same thing he did, firing my 9-Mikes too close, as I didn't expect him to pull into me as fast as he did. I fired 2 AIM-9M's at him. I looped back up again, and the Bug went horizontal.

img00404.jpg

img00405.jpg

As I came down, the Bug went up into a high arcing turn, which I was able to get nose-on through again, but didn't want to risk a HOBS shot. We then went neutral, into a sustained slow-speed turn, but with my flaps down and the blowers engaged, I got inside of him. I had enough energy to get nose-on, then pulled through his turn to get lead. This let the Mike's seeker spot the Bug, gain tone, and let me shoot while I was unloading, so the Mike wouldn't go flying off the rails behind the Bug. Third missile guided true and hit the Bug at about center mass, causing the pilot to punch out.

img00407.jpg

img00411.jpg

Second fight lasted a whole 28 seconds, where I elected to do a two circle and go for broke. I also loaded up 100% fuel so that I'd be heavier and burn energy faster, but the Bug is a flying speed-break. The Bug got nose on first, but he was high, and not in a firing position. I was low, nose-on about a second and a half later. As the Bug unloaded to try to get nose low, I fired three of the four Mikes on the Tomcat. I only needed the first, as it would turn out. The Bug took the shot to the face and detonated off of my nose and to the left. The remaining two Mikes went flying into the atmosphere.

img00412.jpg

Third fight was very similar to the first, only it didn't take me as long to get a firing solution, we did a one-circle with the Bug getting the advantage initially, but not long enough for a shot. I pressed vertical immediately, the Bug went horizontal. I cut the blower, dropped flaps, and began to turn into the Bug as I exited the loop. Re-engaged the blowers and pulled inside of his turn, unloaded and fired, killing the Bug with the first heater.

img00413.jpg

The 1v2 was kind of predictable. The MiG-23 (according to those who both flew it and flew against it) is best compared to the F-4 Phantom, in both maneuverability and weapon systems. It accelerates well, but requires skill in the phone booth, although the TW FM doesn't model its unpredictable departures at >13 units AoA. Suffice to say, this wasn't overtly difficult, but I did make some stupid decisions with my shots. Fight started neutral, and I pulled the Turkey Beast into the MiG-23MLD's. One of the Floggers pulled into my turn, then leveled straight, running from me as his wingman started what would be a one-circle to get on my tail. I took the bait, knowing it'd take the second flogger a while to actually get to my six.

img00416.jpg

As the first one flew straight, I went to VSL-Hi (boresight) locked him and fired a Sparrow. I was outside Rmin, but the thing went stupid, so I fired a second, which also went stupid. Dammit, Raytheon! Okay, he's starting to break into me. Check on his wing man, who is STILL turning into me. Fire AIM-9M #1 at moderate off boresight (5-degrees about) - goes stupid. Fire AIM-9M#2, same thing. Wow, my missiles hate me today. I've still got time, as homeboy #2 still can't get his nose on. I yank into the Flogger's turn unload and fire Mike 3, which guides true and splashes the Flogger.

Kill Shot, AIM-9M #3

img00421.jpg

Great, time to go defensive against this other Flogger. The Turkey Beast powers through the turn to bring us neutral, then about nose-on. I go vertical as the Flogger goes horizontal. I come out, and the Flogger is still turning. Of note is that I'm still heavy, toting about 15,000lbs of fuel, so my variable geometry isn't helping me as much as I'd like.

img00424.jpg

The one-circle isn't going anywhere, so I press vertical again, dropping flaps as I reach the apex of the loop. Homeboy can't get around quick enough, and I'm getting nose-on. He presses through the turn, but I can't quite get on him, so I continue to fly vertical, going low this time. Flogger 2 is STILL turning! I've decided this guy isn't the wisest or most aggressive individual out there. The added energy of going nose-low gets my nose on pretty quick, and I get good tone, looking right up at the Flogger. Fox 2! Impact destroys the port wing and brings the second Flogger down. I ended the fight at 13,580 lbs of fuel.

img00426.jpg

img00427.jpg

Takeaways: Against the Bug, the Turkey Beast fights pretty well, especially if you can get it slow. The Bug is a maneuverable little plane, but it can be outperformed. A single Flogger would be a joke against the Beast, but even with two, I was able to vary between mil power and burner enough that I got both of them while only expending less than 3K pounds of fuel. The fight might have been harder in the A-Minus, but the Fishbed was certainly the superior frame in a knife fight compared to the Flogger.

Edited by Caesar