Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Pilot Body Model or not?

After checking the new detailed cockpits - what do you think?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be pilot bodies in the cockpits?

• Yes, I think it would be more realistic to see "my" arms and legs
    • No, I never missed them and prefer to see the cockpit details

From a 3D modeller/mod's POV if you are seeing the pilot 3D meshes from the cockpit view, you forgot to change the internal view's exclusion of the pilot's object. I had a couple of targetware models that I forgot to remove the body object from and when you 'materialized' into your cokpit view it was from within side the object's "head" which was pretty weird as certain polys that you should have seen through were showing, when you did a look down you'ld be looking at the chin and upper torso and noticing how angular it all was. I thought it was a bit creepy.

Besides the required morphing or keyframe modelling to make the pilot mesh move like a real body would eat up a lot of your video RAM's overhead.

Yes you can do it by mistake, but the models in the Virtual cockpit in OFF are specifically added, not by mistake. Of course we can't add the head of the figure you are viewing from, as yes you would see inside the object if you move your "eyes".

Olham there are no headless objects in 2 seaters except the ones you are currently viewing FROM. i.e. If you extend or move your view extreme away from where your eyes are meant to be you will then see it without the head. The gunner if YOU are the gunner will have no head.

Ah, I understand; thanks for clearing, Pol.

Yes you can do it by mistake, but the models in the Virtual cockpit in OFF are specifically added, not by mistake. Of course we can't add the head of the figure you are viewing from, as yes you would see inside the object if you move your "eyes".

Ah, so there are supposed to be body objects in OFF's cockpits Targetware had to different models for the extrnal and internal. Sorry to contribute confusion, I was wondering why some of OFF's aircraft had body objects.

Ah, so there are supposed to be body objects in OFF's cockpits Targetware had to different models for the extrnal and internal. Sorry to contribute confusion, I was wondering why some of OFF's aircraft had body objects.

Yes absolutely. They are different models and specifically added to the VC as a feature. They are animated, and often without the head for the reason described. We also created new models for the exterior view from the standard CFS3 ones.

No problem that's why I had to comment though obviously if they were mistakes we would not have left them in.

Mostly P3 craft had pilots added, some do not have them as the models were already made previously, and we didn't have time to go and add to all craft for P3 given they have to be animated linked to controllers, rudder pedals etc.

When I started this poll, I thought we could save you devs some modelling time, if most people would not want bodies.

But then I also understand the other points of view, and you guys will build it the way you wanted anyway, I suppose.

No worries thanks Olham worth the discussion - P4 is well under way so many things we have already decided or planned so don't worry.

I could have sworn I replied to this thread yesterday but I don't see it. Maybe it was a different thread?

Anyway, my big gripe with pilot bodies is that they're hands are welded to the controls. This is unrealistic because you can't do the essential pilot activities of drinking, smoking, and making obscene gestures :grin:

Good point, Bullet.

Don't worry about your brains - it was another thread; which inspired me to start this one.

And don't foget being able to pound your fists on the jambed gun sitting worthlessly in front of you, or being able to grab the pistol and take the gentleman's way out rather than becoming "carbonaise" as you plummet in flames from a mile up.

No one coming up with the most obvious use of the pilots' arms: making signs for their wingmen?

Using the blip-switch?

Adding pressure by using the fuel pressure pump?

Edited by Olham

Olham, I believe Bullethead may have already touched on the one about making signs for your wingmen...at least one of the signs anyway. :grin:

But seriously, you are quite correct Sir. It would be very immersive to be able to operate all the various cockpit controls "by hand", as well as wave instructions to your flight.

In my opinion the choice is obvious, given OFFs stated goal is 'as real as it gets'. If this is to be any kind of a serious simulation, the pilots body MUST be in the plane. I expect to see EXACTLY what a real pilot would see, otherwise how can this be called a simulation. Playing as a set of 'floating eyballs' in an empty cockpit hardly passes for realism or immersion in my book.

I agree. See my reply to the thread on the new screenshots. The aircraft become much more real with pilots in them. And the hand signs are in "the other sim", at least from exterior view.

Edited by foreigndevil

But seriously, you are quite correct Sir. It would be very immersive to be able to operate all the various cockpit controls "by hand", as well as wave instructions to your flight.

Maybe using one of those hand pumps manually for an hour or two after getting hit badly and then trying to make it back to base in one piece? :heat:

I voted NO, being as I'm of the same opinion as Hellshade and such discrepancy in the quality of pilot models (if not improved) vs. cockpits models would only be worse given the screenshots we've been shown. I'd rather the devs spent their time on our other wishlist items.

That said, having just come from the 'What started your WW1 aerial interst?' thread, if pilot models can be made to do this:

'Biggles replied to Wilkinson's cheery salute by putting his thumb to his nose and extending his fingers in the time-honoured fashion'

I'll change my vote!