Sign in to follow this  
Siddley

Weapons dunces

I don't expect media people to know much about weapons ( except that they are inherently evil, unless maybe if they are being used by a government agency of course :boredom: ) but every so often they get it so spectacularly wrong even I am amazed.

I just watched a National Geographic documentary on the Scandinavian biker wars and the narrator is talking about the president of the 81 in Denmark being assassinated with a " military grade 9mm automatic weapon " just as the reconstruction shows some actor dressed up as a biker taking the shot with a bolt action Remington 700 PSS

/facepalm

I watched another National Geographic true crime thing the other day where a guy was killed by someone using a " silenced revolver " -

1) You can't silence a revolver

2) The gun shown in the reconstruction was a Colt 1911 semiauto. Without a silencer.

/facepalm

well...not fully exact..actually it's possible to silence a revolver...

http://www.thefirear...essed-revolver/

Ok, it's possible to silence a revolver if you have the knowledge and machinery to completely re-engineer the whole weapon :grin:

Great link, thanks for that :good:

Well, look at Bob Munden...he silences a revolver shot...with another revolver shot...talk about charlie sheen or chuck norris

I don't expect media people to know much about weapons

Like how the media thinks that every single weapon from M1911s to M60s are AK-47s?

Good points,

Being a hunter,firearm collector for most my life and having served my country I'll tell you it really irks me when I see some so-called weapons expert on TV make mistakes or the media throw out disinformation on the subject.I especially dislike when people call mags/magazines "clips". :rolleyes:

Everything to the media is an AK-47 or AR-15 and thus an assault rifle.So-called assault rifles really turn out to be handguns 99% of the time but the media never corrects their errors.Chalk it up to more insane anti-gun rhetoric.Another thing that irks me is calling a semi-automatic sporting rifle an assault rifle.I am sorry folks but cosmetic appearance doesn't make it so and that bipod,pistol grip,folding or telescopic stock,standard capacity mag*,or bayonet doesn't make it more deadly.

*(yes a 15,17,20,30 round mag or any other number you care to insert can be standard capacity depending on the firearm in question,hi-capacity is a term created by the anti-gun crowd to create fear for a more dramatic reaction)

An assault rifle has to have fully automatic capability and the majority of these rifles being called assault rifles do not.Class III (legal and registered fully automatic firearms)is a whole other ballgame.I really wish that the media and the left would stop the disinformation and attempted bans that luckily always fail when they come up for vote but they won't. :rolleyes:

Edited by Akwar

Don't forget according to the media anyone who shoots someone with a non-automatic weapon from a distance of greater than arm's length is a sniper.

Worthy of mention . . . . While suppressed rifles, do exist . . I don't know why ? Other than for Hollywood . . As the ammo used must be loaded to Sub Sonic Levels . . . or below 1126 Feet Per Second.

If we use a standard .308 . . it''s speed at the muzzle is 2600 FPS

So it may appear impressive as hell, but forget long range shots, ditto for tack driving accuracy

Many years ago (mid 1970s), my friend's dad used to winter store his boat at a yard in Tom's River, NJ. The dock master there used to keep a .22 revolver handy (I believe it was a 6" Colt Diamondback), due to the preponderance of rats that seemed to invade his yard every spring. He kept it loaded with either .22 shorts or .22LR snake-shot, and I recall that it was really quiet. In fact the loudest sound it emitted was either the "ping" of the hammer, or the "smack" that the round made when it struck a rat. It actually sounded more like a pneumatic pop-rivet gun, than a firearm.

Years later, just for grins, I tried the plastic-bottle silencer trick with a Ruger 10-22. The muzzle report was muted down to a soft pop, but the round still made the characteristic, super-sonic "crack" as it passed through the bottle. :grin:

Edited by Fubar512

Worthy of mention . . . . While suppressed rifles, do exist . . I don't know why ? Other than for Hollywood . . As the ammo used must be loaded to Sub Sonic Levels . . . or below 1126 Feet Per Second.

If we use a standard .308 . . it''s speed at the muzzle is 2600 FPS

So it may appear impressive as hell, but forget long range shots, ditto for tack driving accuracy

You are wrong on this one Al - suppressed rifles, even with supersonic ammo, have a lot of advantages :-

1) You don't need hearing protection when firing them in a hunting or target shooting situation

2) You get a significant reduction in recoil, which helps accuracy

3) If the can is properly made it has no effect on the accuracy other than to improve it, as in point #2. I was getting around 1 MOA from my PSS, which had a 16" barrel and a suppressor

4) If you are a military or law enforcement sniper then using a suppressor has the advantage of reducing the weapons muzzle flash to almost nothing, and although the bullet is supersonic the direction of the shot becomes very difficult for your threat to ascertain, which may help you stay alive or otherwise get the job done successfully

5) If you have a .22 rimfire for pest control subsonic ammo and a good can reduces the noise to almost nothing. On a semiauto like a 10\22 you'll hear the bolt cycling and that's about all. This is good because you don't get the police called to your location by some gun fearing wuss who thinks that a massacre is occuring

I build suppressors and thread rifle barrels to accept them, so all in all it's a subject I'm pretty familiar with.......

All the talk of suppressors on revolvers reminds me of the suppressed 1895 nagant.Also tunnel rats in nam used suppressed S&W's in 38 special.I have photos in a book somewhere.The word "silencer" is a misnomer.No firearm is truly silent but the sound can be suppressed to a point by using a suppressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

Edited by Akwar

"Silent" is throwing the bullets by hand.

Ruger 10-22 .22LR with, and without silencer

That kind of barrel length on a blowback operated rimfire must reduce the available energy for cycling the bolt really dramatically.

Absolute minimum legal length for a barrel here is 12 inches, but I like to cut them to my own minimum of 14 " so that the end user isn't running into cycling problems.

I think he's done some very clever work to make the weapon cycle properly, I take my hat off to him. Obviously I know there are rimfire pistols, but they are designed to work with a short barrel right from the outset.

Talking of rimfire pistols, before the handgun ban here I knew a guy who had a Vietnam era ex-US Special Forces Hi-Standard with a suppressor. I wish it could have talked, I bet it had some good stories to tell......poor thing was confiscated and melted down though.

That kind of barrel length on a blowback operated rimfire must reduce the available energy for cycling the bolt really dramatically.

Absolute minimum legal length for a barrel here is 12 inches, but I like to cut them to my own minimum of 14 " so that the end user isn't running into cycling problems.

I think he's done some very clever work to make the weapon cycle properly, I take my hat off to him. Obviously I know there are rimfire pistols, but they are designed to work with a short barrel right from the outset.

Talking of rimfire pistols, before the handgun ban here I knew a guy who had a Vietnam era ex-US Special Forces Hi-Standard with a suppressor. I wish it could have talked, I bet it had some good stories to tell......poor thing was confiscated and melted down though.

Sid you are in the wrong country.You would fit right in over here. :grin:Shame on the HS,those are rare(US property marked) and fetch a high price.

Edited by SopmodMikeFour