Sign in to follow this  
MaverickMike

My new best friends

Just thought id share my latest purchase with you guys.

My brother and I have recently gotten into shooting and enjoy target shooting. We both have .22 air rifles which are well under the UK legal limit so not very powerful. (Note i do not use them for anything other than target shooting) but still find them fun to use. So I decided to buy a c02 powered air pistol aswell. I went for the Umarex desert eagle full size and my bro went for the colt 1911 special combat. Here are the pics i took this morning when they arrived (I bought the laser sight seperately a week or so ago)

Sorry that I only took 2 but i will hopefully add a few more with a decent camera as I took these using my phone.

post-26949-0-11896300-1301678537.jpg

post-26949-0-49396100-1301678550.jpg

Mike

Looks as if Umarex have greatly improved the quality of their air pistols since I last looked at one. The Sig 226 and Beretta 92 were tacky IMO.

I hope you have a load of fun with them.

I should get air pistols and rifles as I do not have the time or money to my real guns.

If I could set up a small range in my back yard with a metal trap, I could should all the time :)

When I was in the Navy and in San Diego, I spent $400 a month on ammo shooting both 0.223 Remington with my Colt Sporter HBar and 0.45 ACP with my Springfield Armory M1911A1. Those were good times :)

When I was in the Navy and in San Diego, I spent $400 a month on ammo shooting both 0.223 Remington with my Colt Sporter HBar and 0.45 ACP with my Springfield Armory M1911A1. Those were good times :)

Damn. I wish I lived in the US. I was hoping to put more pics up but I cant seem to find my camera.....

Mike

I should get air pistols and rifles as I do not have the time or money to my real guns.

If I could set up a small range in my back yard with a metal trap, I could should all the time :)

LOL...I recall going Through a ton of money feeding my S&W Model 629 .44, and my Colt 1911 ACP. I got just as much out of shooting my High Standard Victor .22LR, and I could buy several bricks (500 round boxes) of 22LR for the same price as just one 50 round box of .45 ammo.

I also had a Beeman R1 air rifle, chambered for .177 (IIRC, you could also get them in .20 and .22 caliber). I had tons of fun killing empty soda cans in my friend's scrap yard with that rifle. I recall paying just under $200 US for one back in 1981. I recently saw a new R1 priced at an eye-watering $619! I should have held on to mine.

Those are nice.Pellet guns make for some fun in the backyard when you can't get out to gun range to shoot the real thing or to teach the kids on before transitioning them to real firearms.Its a shame the UK is so strict.Had no idea that they regulate the FPS on air guns over there but can't say I am surprised.I used tro have an RWS Diana pellet rifle.Killed a lot of nasty pigeons with it back in the day. :grin:

Edited by SopmodMikeFour

I used tro have an RWS Diana pellet rifle.Killed a lot of nasty pigeons with it back in the day. :grin:

I've still got an RWS Diana 52 sidelever. It's a rifle which I tuned myself way above the UK legal limit to something around 22-24ftlbs muzzle energy, depending on what pellet you use ( which is a fifth of .22 rimfire subsonic levels, sort of pathetic really in a way )

It's good fun and very accurate, but quite difficult to shoot due to the weird recoil of a high power spring air rifle. Great for wabbits and pigeons out to maybe 50 yards.

It's OK for me to own because I have the paperwork needed for any class of firearm here ( except military stuff ) to own, sell or even manufacture.

I think spring air rifles are a great training tool, because you have to get everything right ( hold, pull, follow through ) if you want to achieve good consistent groups. The fact that the effective range is measured in tens of yards rather than hundreds doesn't really matter for that purpose. Just make the target smaller :grin:

Ammo prices for centrefire calibres in the UK are insane compared to the US. I roll my own or buy milsurp, but it's still an expensive pastime.

I've still got an RWS Diana 52 sidelever. It's a rifle which I tuned myself way above the UK legal limit to something around 22-24ftlbs muzzle energy, depending on what pellet you use ( which is a fifth of .22 rimfire subsonic levels, sort of pathetic really in a way )

It's good fun and very accurate, but quite difficult to shoot due to the weird recoil of a high power spring air rifle. Great for wabbits and pigeons out to maybe 50 yards.

It's OK for me to own because I have the paperwork needed for any class of firearm here ( except military stuff ) to own, sell or even manufacture.

I think spring air rifles are a great training tool, because you have to get everything right ( hold, pull, follow through ) if you want to achieve good consistent groups. The fact that the effective range is measured in tens of yards rather than hundreds doesn't really matter for that purpose. Just make the target smaller :grin:

Ammo prices for centrefire calibres in the UK are insane compared to the US. I roll my own or buy milsurp, but it's still an expensive pastime.

Yeah,I really liked the RWS when I was a kid.I quality rifle for sure.I had best luck with the flat head match pellets for hunting.They had better knock down power.The pointed hunting pellets just passed through most the time and didn't kill varmints.I should get another RWS.It really sucks that gun ownership there is pretty non-existent but its good to know that even though there is a long road of red tape,its still possible to own some.

Edited by SopmodMikeFour