Sign in to follow this  
sandbagger

Botox for the DH 2

Hi all,

Polovski has given you a preview of the new terrain created by WM for P4 and also showed the upgraded model for the De-Havilland DH2 aircraft.

I've recently finished re-skinning the Sopwith Tripes and now I'm working on the DH 2, with, for example, many more aces for No.24 Squadron.

I'll post a few screen shots of the basic, generic DH 2 skin tonight (when I get home from my day job), just to give you a feel of how the final aircraft will look.

Sweet. Just don't take all the wrinkles out of the old bus Sandbagger, they give her character. :smile:

Looking forward to seeing more of your great work Sandbagger!...get em up there! :drinks:

Looking forward to seeing more of your great work Sandbagger!...get em up there! :drinks:

As promised, here's a few shots of one of the basic DH 2 skins colour schemes (the late 1916 to 1917 PC 10 colour scheme). As a base skin it carries no squadron markings.

post-15340-0-52397100-1302034092.jpg

post-15340-0-96619600-1302034223.jpg

post-15340-0-54544600-1302034230.jpg

post-15340-0-46608900-1302034241.jpg

Oh that is nice Sandbagger! Right down to the sawtooth overlap of the canvas onto the underside of the floorboard. Makes me want to start another new DH2 campaign. :smile:

I'm impressed by the leather straps over the nacelle, they stand out 'just enough'... and the mud spatters from the tyres on the underside of the lower planes. It's those little details that make the difference.

You guys been reskinning the pilots for P4 too... looks different?

Oh that is nice Sandbagger! Right down to the sawtooth overlap of the canvas onto the underside of the floorboard. Makes me want to start another new DH2 campaign.

Exactly what I will do in P4!

The crate looks larger scale now, not like a cute toy - bigger than life almost.

Very good work!

Very pretty indeed - hats off to you Sanders old chap...

I'm impressed by the leather straps over the nacelle, they stand out 'just enough'... and the mud spatters from the tyres on the underside of the lower planes. It's those little details that make the difference.

When a new or updated model is passed to the skinners, it comes with a base texture file created by the model maker, either WM or Polovski. We use that as a guide and build many layers over that texture file. In some cases the original texture is completly replaced by the skinners layers, but other times some of the modlers textures are retained. The leather straps are those created by WM on the DH2. Again on the Noop 28, the camouflage scheme was retained as it was spot on and couldn't be improved.

Without the model makers base texture files, the work for the skinners would be a far more complex task.

So due credit goes to Polovski and WM for not only creating the models, but for the base texture files also :salute:

Edited by sandbagger

Ah, thank you for that insight into the process, Sandbagger! I always thought, it must be damn hard

to find out for skinners, to make out, where which part would have to be placed.

Now my respect for Pol and Winder has even grown further, and I wonder even more:

do you guys live on Speed? Don't you ever sleep?

Well, if you're saying those feature have always been there SB, it just goes to show I haven't looked hard enough. Jeez, don't reckon I deserve P4... haven't appreciated P3 enough yet! 3000+ skins, for example - no other WW1 sim comes anywhere near.

And the stencils too! Great little details :drinks:

shredward

You got that sawtooth on the bottom of the 24 skin. I saw that in a picture in a Windsock Datafile and was going to do it. You beat me to it drinks.gif,

Beard

WOW. I'm starting to lick my lips. Well done Pol, Winder & the team.

Yesterday I got my copy of IL2 - Cliffs over Dover. It was a mistake. They should take the game and toss it over the Cliffs of Dover.

QC is so important.

therefore OBD should take their time and release the best P4 possible (i never though i would say that).

Cheers

M

You guys never cease to amaze!...I had a look through my home made skins last night...y'know...just to compare?.....I'm still crying and punching the walls this morning!!

:lol:

First, thank you for the great shots! Very nice touch with the backlit internal bracing, visible roundel, etc. Good stuff. The plane is not overweathered and the pilot figure looks fantastic.

However, it's missing a strut near the empennage. Can you guys add this or are you planning to add this or is it too late?

StrutExample.jpg

First, thank you for the great shots! Very nice touch with the backlit internal bracing, visible roundel, etc. Good stuff. The plane is not overweathered and the pilot figure looks fantastic.

However, it's missing a strut near the empennage. Can you guys add this or are you planning to add this or is it too late?

StrutExample.jpg

Never too late - thanks I will add it...

WM

Fantastic! :clapping:

Wow, a very good photograph, JFM - and even with our Dej in the center of it! :grin:

You're right: the pilot now does look like a WW1 flyer! Very good, devs!

I wonder if you could even make one with a black face mask? The "sombre Hun"?

Edited by Olham

Jim,

Great for showing the missing strut out & even better for Winder's response.

P4....P4....P4...:clapping:

M

Edited by Morris