Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

I don't believe this

Watch the segment on the so-called "sidewinder seeker-head"..... :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfQRetYV8k0&feature=related

I especially like the expert that they bring in, stating that it is from a sidewinder. Are they for freaking real? :boredom:

An AIM-9 is 5 inches in diameter.....about half the diameter of the unit they showed. My suspicion is that it's some sort of bench calibration test unit, created from the chin-mounted infrared pod (IRST), from an F-4B.

Edited by Fubar512

LOL...That fighter pilot guy should have known better! :rofl: Oh and, "...ahh and 50mm and 20 cal..." Really? :yikes:

Edited by liamp51

She didn't claim it was the guidance system for the Sidewinder, she claimed it was installed in the F-4 to help guide sidewinders... The label on the device said:

Cradle Carrying

IR System

F4H-1 & F4H-1F

So what you have is the carrying cradle for an IRST from an F-4A or earlier with an actual F-4 IRST still in it.

The name plates were intact (looked like new from this footage), so everything could be precisely identified if so desired.

She didn't claim it was the guidance system for the Sidewinder, she claimed it was installed in the F-4 to help guide sidewinders... The label on the device said:

It sounds as if you did not watch the pertinent part of the video, Steve. The expert they brought in claimed that it was an AIM-9 seeker head, after he claimed to be a former F-18 pilot.

But I was primarily addressing your suspicion posted above as to what it was, regardless of what the "expert" said.

The lady didn't know what she was talking about, but she knew it was mounted on F-4s and knew it involved heat-seeking... which is pretty damn good for someone who otherwise has no idea what an AAA-4 or F4H-1F is.

It would be cool to have, but I wouldn't pay much for it just to throw it on a shelf or a desk. It would be much more interesting if they had the chin pod fairing to go with it.

really not to mention that the 'winder seeker head is still considered ordinance and a big no-no to sell. even a early generation detection system, going the other route, would still kinda piss off the Navy if they found out it was being sold. my take away, this show and these people are NOT near any bases as they clearly do not know how to sell military items!

:lol: :lol:

beg to differ ... Nellis in just outside Las Vegas (been there, done that!)

wrench

kevin stein

I never make fun of others for this type of thing.

I recall one of our Founders or Admins or serial moderators here claiming "Reagan" created prosperity for USA. He/She would NOT accept that Reagan (actually, his handlers) put the nation into increasingly more paper debt than it already was. That is far worse than ignorance of some irrelevant "sidewinder" military equipment (or whatever), yet I don't laugh even at that, but cry.

:good: (imma big fan of Reagan btw)

This looks fun. I'll have to see this thing tomorrow (no sound on my computer). I want to hear it ((thanks)).

That's the cleanest pawn shop I ever saw -- I must not get out much.

I never make fun of others for this type of thing.

I recall one of our Founders or Admins or serial moderators here claiming "Reagan" created prosperity for USA. He/She would NOT accept that Reagan (actually, his handlers) put the nation into increasingly more paper debt than it already was. That is far worse than ignorance of some irrelevant "sidewinder" military equipment (or whatever), yet I don't laugh even at that, but cry.

I take it that you weren't earning a living before, during, and immediately after the Reagan years. Because if you were, you'd have a decidedly different take on the matter.

Edited by Fubar512

:good: Yea I know, but we borrowed our prosperity from the future. Now the debt is much larger, and the jobs are overseas. The 1980s "prosperity" was a paper/credit illusion. But...this goes through the 1990s (stocks) and 2000s (real estate, cardboard drywall houses) as well, so it has nothing to do with mere presidentia. I can love the Ronnie :salute: , but not his associates so to speak.

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to see the vid yesterday. But I will. If there was any deliberate falsification, then I hate that. Don't mean to dump in your thread. But I've learned, sometimes the hard way, never to make fun of souls who honestly don't know something (unless they are overly bully about it, then give them an Honest Whack).