Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Happy Easter to all

Happy Easter to all of you and your families.

let's remember today is the day of the lords resurrection, not of colored eggs and rabbits and having some day off :drinks:

cheers

Well, it's both, isn't it?

The kids (at least in the countryside) will sure search for Easter eggs, and for the hard working people, it is a day off.

I wonder, if our overseas pilots even know that tradition of hiding colourfully painted eggs for the children to search them?

At WIKIPEDIA, I just found some good explanations for this very old tradition. Here is the connection to Jesus' resurrection:

The egg is seen by followers of Christianity as a symbol of resurrection: while being dormant it contains a new life sealed within it.

In the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches, Easter eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Christ, shed on the Cross,

and the hard shell of the egg symbolized the sealed Tomb of Christ—the cracking of which symbolized his resurrection from the dead.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Easter_egg

Happy Easter days, everybody - with or without painted eggs!

Edited by Olham

of course you are right, i just wanted to remember what is celebrated today, because on x-mas you have a ton of merry x-mas threads and today is the MOST important day of christianity and nobody mentioned anything. :drinks:

Edited by Creaghorn

Hihi, I think, our American friends are not up yet, and the European ones may be searching eggs with their kids.

In Ostfriesland, people are well aware, that it is the resurrection of Jesus.

And still, they also celebrate traditions, which have their roots in older, heathen rites, which have been

"transformed" by the early Christian missionaries into Christian celebrations.

So we have huge piles of wood everywhere over the countryside, which get set afire in the evening - the Easter fires.

So we have huge piles of wood everywhere over the countryside, which get set afire in the evening - the Easter fires.

Well I am a terrible heathen, although I appreciate Creaghorn's point about Easter (my wife is a churchgoing person), but I like the sound of the Easter fires lighting up across the countryside.

Happy Easter to all of you and your families.

let's remember today is the day of the lords resurrection, not of colored eggs and rabbits and having some day off :drinks:

cheers

Creaghorn-Happy Easter to you, also. Because He has risen, we shall too.

Best,

Steve

Happy Easter to You and Yours! Here's wishing everyone the best of times with your families, your friends, and your faith. Remember all the miracles that abound each day throughout this wonderful old world.

Lou

Happy Easter to You and Yours! Here's wishing everyone the best of times with your families, your friends, and your faith. Remember all the miracles that abound each day throughout this wonderful old world.

Lou

Hear, Hear! Happy Easter whether devout or carnal. I'm just happy it's getting warmer outside,...(bbrrrr!)

The importance of Easter depends on the Christian faction. For some, it's the most important celebration, for others that role is reserved for Christmas.

I'm not religious, but I know many others are, so Happy Easter everybody. :drinks:

Spent a good deal of the afternoon in the nearby Rehberge Park, sitting on a bench, reading the chapter

about the home defense period of No. 46 Sqdn, RFC, 1917; in Arthur Gould Lee's "No Parachute".

A well spent Easter sunday afternoon.

Hi Olham,

I can see you've been well captivated by No Parachute - I think that I remarked a while ago that it's probably one of the best books about the air war written by a combatant. Yes, a great way way to spend the afternoon!

Just as a matter of interest, and given that Easter is on such a weird date this year: it's actually coincided with my birthday! Yep, all those years ago, I popped out unbidden into the world (early doors, just slid out, me mum thought I was dead because I didn't cry), and promptly went to sleep (I assume).

Nearly five decades later, I suspect I've still not woken up!

Cheers,

Si

I've got some Trilium pictures taken outside our home from earlier today.

post-65486-0-46668100-1303677184.jpg

In our town we celebrate the Easter weekend with a procession on Good Friday.

A link:

http://www.amherstburgecho.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3091275

Filomeno (Jesus) is actually a good friend of mine.

This is another link in the same paper that may be of interest to some:

http://www.amherstburgecho.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3092682

I'll be picking up a copy next week

Tony

Happy Birthday, Mighty!

Are you living in Fangorn forrest, Lewie???

Ohlam:

The Trillium is the official provincial flower of Ontario. Contrary to popular belief it is not illegal to pick them. They grow wild by the hundreds in the woodlands

Tony

Edited by Typhoon

Happy Birthday, Mighty!

Are you living in Fangorn forrest, Lewie???

Yes, Happy birthday Mightyrc!

Well Olham it seems at times we do, of course it's probably wetter here than in Tolkien's fictional forest.

I have seen "Jennifer 8", which I think played in Washington? Seems to rain a lot there?