Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play, "Who's Paint Is This" !

YIKES! Seven minutes Olham, you sorted that out in seven minutes. Clearly I will have to make these much tougher for you. :grin:

The standings after round 6 are:

Olham................ 9 1/2 points

Dej..................... 6 points

Lewie................. 2 1/2 points

Hasse Wind....... 1 point

Cheers!

Lou

I am a bit dazzled myself about that, Lou - everyone of my friends here knows me

as a sluggish chap, who is either not yet awake, or beginning to get tired, or tired already. :grin:

Seems I have SOME strengths - now I only need to convert them into making money somehow.

Need a "quick-finder", anyone? Perchance?

Going to stick my nose in here. I know some sources claim otherwise but there is a photo of 102/17 crashed that clearly shows it unburnt, so consider the "exploded when crashed" with a grain of salt.

WILD CARD!

Answer the following questions concerning this photo:

OFF_WPAI_Wild_Card_001.jpg

1. What is the plane type and model?

2. Who is the ace seated on the top edge of the cockpit?

3. Which squadron did he fly for in this aeroplane and in what year?

3. What popular cartoon character of the time was the basis for this pilot’s emblem?

BTW, I have removed the serial number from the plane’s fuselage so that you can’t simply Google it and narrow your search. And, as far as I know, this is the only known photograph of this particular ace in his plane, (and I am not telling you where I found it).

I warned you I was going to make these harder. :blum:

Good Luck!

Lou

Is that a question VP, or your answer to #4? :smile:

Going to stick my nose in here. I know some sources claim otherwise but there is a photo of 102/17 crashed that clearly shows it unburnt, so consider the "exploded when crashed" with a grain of salt.

That went over my head especially based on previous discussions here. You are correct sir! Just saw the reported photo yesterday actually.

OK Gents, I am going to be away from my computer until this evening. Feel free to give any and all answers to the latest Wild Card posting, and I will get to them when I return.

Cheers!

Lou

Is that a question VP, or your answer to #4? :smile:

I was answering by questioning you. :grin:

It's a Maachi built Nieuport 11, N.2123 of the 80a Squadriglia, Italian Air Service circa maybe May 1917. Evidently based on the Italian version of ‘Happy Hooligan’ the character was called ‘Fortunello.’ Very reminiscent of the more modern ‘Homer Simpson’ character. Ni 2123 became the personal mount of Sgt. Alvaro Leonardi, who survived the war with a score of 8 confirmed victories.

[EDIT]Typos[/EDIT]

Edited by Dej

Oh Dej, you are SOOOOOOO close. You have the plane type dead on, right down to it being a Maachi-built Nieuport 11, and you're correct as well on Squadriglia 80a and the time of service. You are also spot on with 'Happy Hooligan', even giving me the character's Italian name. However, you are incorrect about the pilot himself, (and the plane number). None-the-less, I am awarding you four points: 1 1/2 points for your more-than-complete answer on the Nieup; another 1 1/2 points for both names of the comic character; and 1 point for the Squadriglia and time. Well done, Sir! Now remember, you will have to wait 36 hours from your last answer to post another answer on this entry, providing someone else doesn't beat you to it.

So c'mon folks, there is still another point out there to claim for the correct pilot, plus a 1/2 point for the correct plane number, (even though I did not ask for that initially).

Next!

The pilot looks to me like Ernesto Cabruna (but I only know a different photo).

Cabruna also flew with Squadriglia 80a.

He had 8 victories, the first two were with 80a; all others with 77a.

He survived the war.

The plane could be the 2140, which I have found at the Vintage Aviator.

Edit: without your find, that it is an Italian Macchi Built Nieuport, I would never have found any traces, Dej.

I'm not very familiar with uniforms. So, honestly, thanks for the good work.

Edited by Olham

Olham, you are correct about the plane number, it is Ni 2140:

OFF_WPAI_Wild_Card_001a.jpg

However, the pilot sitting on the edge of the cockpit is not Ernesto Cabruna. It would appear from your photo that Ernesto, (if that is in fact Ernesto as it is possible the pilot has been mis-identified), during his short time with Squadriglia 80a, was snapped in Ni 2140 in July of 1917, while it's true owner was recovering in the hospital from a shrapnel wound. The ace we are looking for wrote this, in a letter home, about the emblem on his aeroplane: "The son of Fortunello who laughs is painted on my aircraft. I hope that it will bring me good luck".

A 1/2 point to you Herr Olham, and now you will have to wait the 36 hours before giving another answer on this entry. Can anyone out there identify this pilot?

Give it a go Gents.

Thanks, Lou. I have a second guess, but will wait 36 hours.

I'll have a punt then that the pilot is Sottotenente Michele Allasia, who was wounded in May 1917 and thus, if it is indeed he, would account for his machine being available to Ernesto Cabruna in early July... Allasia being obviously fit again be 13th July.

Give that man a cigar! Quite right Dej, it is indeed Michele Allasia. And if you want to know more about him and the rest of the Italian flyers I recommend Osprey publication #89, "Italian Aces of WWI", by Paolo Varriale, (which is where the photo and information came from for this entry).

The standings after round 7 show a new leader by a single point:

Dej.................... 11 points

Olham............... 10 points

Next entry will be posted this evening, Sunday May 29, at 11:00pm GMT, so stay watchful.

Cheers!

Lou

Uuuuhhh - now I can admit, that my next attempt would have also been wrong.

I only went after the face in the pic, and thought he might be Luigi Olivi.

Congrats, Dej!

Hope you're all primed and ready, because it's time for the next round of "Who's Paint Is This" !

Here's the screenshot:

OFF_WPAI_007.jpg

And here are your questions:

1. Who was the ace that flew this paint scheme, and what is the plane type and model?

2. Which jasta did this pilot fly for in this paint scheme, and in what year?

3. What was his job in the military before he transferred to the Luftstreitkräfte?

Viel Glück!

Lou

1.Max Ritter von Mueller, Albatros D.III (early)

2.Jasta 28w, 1917

3. He was a chauffeur for the Bavarian War Minister

This is from The Aerodrome:

While chauffeur to the Bavarian War Minister, Müller's constant request

for a transfer to the Air Service was eventually approved.

As Jasta Boelcke's acting commander, he attempted to shoot down an R.E.8

when he was attacked from behind by Robert Chidlaw-Roberts and Frank Soden

of 60 Squadron. Müller was killed in action and fell from his Albatros D.V

(5405/17) as it went down in flames near Moorslede.

Another lightning fast response Olham, and you have them all but one! Max Ritter von Müller was not flying with Jasta 28w in the paint shown. Still, another 2 1/2 points for you. Well done Sir!

So, a 1/2 point waits for someone who can correctly identify the jasta that Max did fly for in this paint.

Cripes - yes, you're right; this time I jumped around too fast and didn't see one important part of the craft

didn't have the colours for Jasta 28w, which would have been yellow with black stripes. Serves me right!

Aha, I thought that was my particular bad, Olham. Well then, it's Jasta 2 obviously, as that's the only other unit he flew with, I think.

There you go Dej, it is Jasta 2. In addition, Ritter von Müller also flew with FA 1b, KEK B, and FAA 32, as well as 28w.

Here are the new standings after round 8, and Olham is back in the lead:

Olham............... 12 1/2 points

Dej.................... 11 1/2 points

Another entry will be coming soon.

Cheers!

Lou